Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 3

Emily was going to have to quit her job. The same thought kept running through her head. Why the hell did I go home with Josh last night? How didn’t I recognize him from work? I'm going to have to quit my job. No way could I chance running into him in a hallway, elevator or OMG in a meeting. Holy shit! Shit, shit, shit!

Why, why, why didn't I pay more attention? Okay well, the bar was dark last night and damn it! He was hot and well I was really drunk. But still, she knew better. She had sworn off men. She was doing so well before this. Damn it! She hadn't even spoken to a guy for almost two years before last night.

Yup, went out last night for some dancing and conversation. She thought, No men just the gals, some drinks, dancing and conversation. Then I started slamming those damn drinks. Cranberry and Southern Comfort. Yeah I was comforted all right. Comforted right out of my bra, my job, my home and my friends, that's comforting.

No choice now though, it was quit or take a chance this next attack killed her. She always had the epi-pen handy, but really every time she used the pen it worked less than the last time. Josh worked in the same office. The chances of running into him on a semi regular basis were too great. Nope, quitting her job and moving out-of-town was her only option.

This is it though, the last time I am quitting a job because of a man. She was swearing off men. It just wasn't working and she was running out of towns to move to. She had really liked it here in Florida. Shit, she'd lived all over the state for the past 10 years. Moving from city to city when she couldn't get away from someone she’d gone on a date with. Hell, this allergy of hers sometimes turned on her for just having a cup of coffee with a guy.

God she hated doing this, she liked this job. Found out pretty quickly that she was a really good designer and was getting a lot of praise and with praise came money and promotions. Things had really been looking up for her.

She had a really nice place in Boca, on the East side of town, right on the water. She loved living on the ocean, sometime when she stood at her bedroom window and the wind blew in at her it made her skin feel like she was being kissed by a thousand butterflies. The house iteself was phenominal apalace almost. A huge 10 bedroom mansion on the beach. Her own slice of paradise. An awesome pool and hot tub in the backyard. Yea things had really been going good. But then again she was also really good at quitting and moving and quitting. She had plenty of experience with quitting.

Yup, time to quit and move on. Maybe I should head up North. Yeah North, like Jersey. Those people looked like they know how to have a lot fun. I could head down to the shore and find some DTF guys.

No, no, no!
her mind screamed at her. That's why we are in trouble in the first place, she told herself. WTF is more like it. No more DTF. In fact, no more men, period.

With that thought in her mind Emily walked into her bosses’ office. Resignation letter in hand. Eyes down, head and shoulders sagging in defeat. She opened the door and saw MaryAnn sitting behind her desk.

MaryAnn was in her forties, she wasn’t an unattractive woman, but she wasn’t pretty by normal standards either. There was some type of appeal about MaryAnn. Emily couldn't put her finger on what it was. She wasn't a shapely woman but men just seemed to like MaryAnn. Maybe it was her large sultry eyes, or the way she carried herself. It was like she was always large and in charge and knew it, and men liked it.

When Emily had started to work for the firm just over two years ago, MaryAnn had taken her under her wing and taught her everything she knew about designing. This was Emily's first designer job. Because she had moved around so often, and changed jobs more than she could remember throughout her early twenties, this job and MaryAnn had been a blessing. This was the first place Emily had felt safe. She had almost convinced herself that she could stay here and be almost normal.

MaryAnn knew there was something very different about Emily but she had taken a shine to her anyway. MaryAnn was careful and took her time when pairing Emily with clients. She kept the face-to-face meetings to a minimum for her. She sensed Emily’s fear of working with men.

She almost exclusively gave her female clients. MaryAnn had a sneaky suspicion that Emily had been severely abused by a man when she was young. She had seen the potential in Emily and had decided to be her silent protector. She had even decided that someday soon she was going to talk to Emily about her past.

MaryAnn had a past too, and she recognized the signs in Emily. The days off, claiming an unknown illness. The moving around, over and over again, the change in jobs. Yeah, MaryAnn knew something must have happened to Emily and she would bet dollars to donuts that man had stalked her long into her twenties.

"Umm, MaryAnn, I umm, I'm umm really sorry, but I am going to have to give you my resignation and um I'm real sorry" she stuttered again “but I've got a real emergency, and I can't even give you 2 weeks’ notice"

MaryAnn looked up from her desk and pushed her glasses up. She cleared her throat.

"Excuse me; I thought I just heard you say you are resigning. Please tell me I misheard you. You are the best dang designer I have on the team. I just scored the Jensen job and I promised Mrs. Jensen you would do the design."

What more could she say to MaryAnn? She would never believe the truth... so she just stood there. struggling to swallow. She started to fiddle her fingers in her hair. A nervous reaction. God she didn’t want to do this. The Jensen job, WOW! That was a sought after design job. If she was the lead designer she could get a real name for herself.

“MaryAnn” Emily started in an almost whispered voice. “I really am very sorry” Emily’s body voluntarily shuddered as she took in a deep breath.

She could feel tears building behind her eye lids. She managed to raise the tone of her voice just slightly louder so at least she wasn’t whispering and pushed back the tears.

“I just have to leave. In fact I am going to be moving. See I have this thing and well um, I just gotta go.” Her body had really started to shake. Emily was sure at any moment she was going to lose the war against crying.

“This thing?” MaryAnn blurted out in semi shock. “Can you elaborate a bit for me Emily? Perhaps we can work something out together so we can both Ahh, get our thing accomplished” MaryAnn wasn’t going to back down.

Her mind was on overdrive. She used her best authorative voice. MaryAnn had a pretty good idea what this THING was about. Chances are the stalker had finally caught up to Emily and she was getting ready to bolt.

Well not this time. MaryAnn was no push over and she knew the laws. He couldn’t keep chasing this poor girl around for her entire life. Emily was too sweet and she was a dam good designer and MaryAnn wasn’t going to let her run away. No, somehow MaryAnn was going to get to the bottom of this and help Emily move past this thing and get rid of the stalker once and for all.

“Emily darling” MaryAnn continued in a slightly more gentle tone “Please take a seat and let’s discuss this in more detail. I think between the two of us we can come up with a solution to your Ah thing.”

Emily didn’t move an inch, MaryAnn could see her visibly shaking. It was clear she was scared, real scared. Standing up MaryAnn glided to where Emily stood. She put her arm on her shoulders and gently guided her towards one of the two chairs facing Maryann’s desk. But instead of returning to her own chair, she bent down in front of Emily and looked her directly in the eyes.

“Emily darling, why don’t you take a chance and tell me the truth about what really has you running? I’ve had my eye on you since the day you arrived here. I know something has you scared, scared enough that you have spent most of your adult life running from it.” MaryAnn started to slide her hands gently up and down Emily’s shoulders.

Emily couldn’t hold back the tears any longer. With a will of their own, they began to slip doggedly down her cheeks. One huge tear drop after another slipped across her checks and landed silently on her folded hands. Emily just stopped trying to hold them back. They were coming whether she wanted them to or not. So what the hell. Let them come she thought.

What if , thought Emily. What if I did share my illness with MaryAnn? Maybe she could figure out a way to make sure I never ran into Josh. I could keep working here. I could take the Jensen job. I could make a name for myself and have a normal life. No, never gonna happen.

MaryAnn would never believe her. Come on WHO would? Oh she had tried to tell others in the past. No one ever believed her! They thought she was crazy! It was impossible to be allergic to a man you dated. It had to be psychological.

At one point in time even Emily believed maybe she was crazy. She had tried every therapy, psychologist and psychiatrist she could find. But in the end, her body proved the truth to itself. It would try to kill her if she tried to date someone more than once.

But MaryAnn was different. She thought to herself. Just maybe it was worth trying one more time to tell the truth. Even if MaryAnn thought she was crazy and that it was some mental thing. Well, maybe she would somehow indulge her and she could keep her job after all. With that thought in mind, Emily took a deep breath, stemmed off her tears and opened her mouth to tell MaryAnn the truth.