Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 5

“Now Brody, I came here tonight to get down to the real issues. Something out there is stalking you and I want to know what the hell it is! Every time it comes around the hair on the back of my neck stands up, I can smell it. I don’t know why, but I know I’m right. Aren’t I? Never see it, it’s like it just stays out of my peripheral vision. But I know it’s there. I want answers, and you my friend are gonna give me um.”

John used those specific words because he knew they would get Brody to talk, and it worked. Brody decided it was time to tell John the truth about what was out there any why.

“Oh well here goes nothing” he said,

“I told you, we Astanian have been around long before man. Well around 1670 BC man started to have a higher population count than the Astanian. My people started to panic, they used to treat us like GODs suddenly, and they didn’t want us around anymore. Humans bred like rabbits. They’d have five to ten children born for to our single one.

My Great Grand Father Zeus. Yes I said Zeus, was afraid the humans were going to commit genocide against the Astanian race. In an effort to increase our numbers the Astanian of that generation decided they should begin impregnating the human women with Astanian children.

Now I know I told you that we can only produce offspring with our true mate, but Zeus was clever and figured out another way. It turns out; the venom we carry in our fangs can make any human women fertile to carry our offspring. So our men bedded every woman they could find. They would seduce, cajole or trick them into bed. Inject them with our venom and impregnate them with our offspring.

They thought, this was the perfect plan. See, we had facts, historically when an Astanian’s true mate was human children born to that union were always male, and always 100% Astanian. We had seen it countless times in history. Always the child was male, and always Astanian.

But since these humans weren’t true mates, the desired offspring weren’t what Zeus and the others hoped they would be. They weren’t human but they weren’t Astanian either.

We realized later that because these women weren’t true Astanian mates, the offspring were just wrong. They were born deformed. Some with extra heads, arms or eyes. Some grew to the wrong size and shape. Many got stuck with animal body parts which ever one the father was capable of shifting to. Like how I can take the form of a wolf, mine could have been half human looking with a wolf head or something.

The worst part was they were all EVIL. You get the picture. Humans called them monsters. That part of history the humans got somewhat right. History books called them Minotaurs and Cyclops stuff like that.

Our scientist said, because of our cold blooded DNA, and or ability to temporarily shift into various human faces and at least one animal, the offsprings DNA got mixed up and they became parts instead of a whole. Hence the different shapes, sizes and forms.

Most of the human mothers died in childbirth since when the egg burst in their womb, the beast within would claw or chew its way out. Those that didn’t raised bitter evil children, and taught them to hunt and kill us.

Some human mothers would try to kill their offspring or drown them in the Oceans. When they did that, we Astanian tried to raise the children ourselves. That yielded the same result.

The offspring were wrong and filled with evil. We called them the Parakma'zei Vulnus. This was our way of saying rotten flesh in Astanian. The Vulnus for short have hunted Astanian throughout the centuries. They too, like the humans, bred like rabbits, each of their children looking more and more human, but each generation more and more evil.”

He took a deep breath before continuing. “That my friend is what you smell. It’s after me.”