Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 6

“I can see by the look on your face, you don’t believe me.” hiccupped Emily.

She was right of course, MaryAnn wasn’t buying the story that Emily was selling. It was just way too farfetched. Either Emily had a severe mental issue, or she was too afraid to tell MaryAnn the truth about a stalker. But that didn’t mean that MaryAnn was going to give up and just let her quit.

No, she was determined to help her. How to help was the question. Maybe it would be best to call Josh in and show Emily that no harm came to her.

Then again, MaryAnn had heard of people causing themselves to pass out etc. just because they believed something would happen. No MaryAnn needed a better understand of what the real situation was. Is Emily mentally ill or has she made herself sick from fear? Perhaps the best course of action was to indulge Emily’s fears.

Maybe Emily would have her stay at her friends Condo. If there really was something more going on with Emily, like a stalker, which made more sense to MaryAnn, she could kill two birds with one stone. Why not make the best of this and buy herself some time to find out what was really going on.

“Emily, I understand you believe that with your allergy and your recent umm, activity with Josh that your health in danger... and right now, I need you in good health” MaryAnn took a deep breath and continued

“Look, I was going to request that you stayed in Miami for the duration of this project anyway so... Why don’t we put this…” MaryAnn paused, cleared her throat and pondered her next words.

“Ah... your allergy and the possible side effects to Josh on hold. I own a condo on South Beach. I usually rent it out in the winter months, but I think that would be the perfect place for you to stay. That way, there is NO chance of you running into Josh. Plus I promise... I will assign him to something that keeps him very far from you. What do you think?”

Emily sat very still. It was clear she was thinking hard and fast. Finally she nodded her head yes. That’s all it took for MaryAnn to push on.

“Now, why don’t you head home and start packing. I would assume the Jensen job will take a minimum of six weeks. So feel free to take the majority of your belongings with you. Plan on meeting me a 6pm tonight back here, and you can follow me down to the Condo. After I show you around, we can go out and have dinner and some drinks. What do you think?”

Another small nod from Emily had MaryAnn grabbing her by the hand and almost pulling her out of the chair.

“Go, now dear and don’t waste any time. If you are packed and want to leave earlier call I and I will see what I can do to push up the schedule”

The second Emily was out of the office MaryAnn grabbed the phone to call her best friend Amanda. She blurted out her conversation and thoughts about Emily then asked

“Please darling, can we borrow the Condo. I know this whole thing sounds impossible but... Well, I really like the chit and someone needs to help her, why not me.”

Amanda agreed to loan MaryAnn the condo. It was all set; Amanda would leave the key under the flower pot.

“Thanks love, see you tonight. You’re the best.”

Emily cried the whole drive home. Her drive home took about 35 minutes. Once there, she took her time moving around the house and gathering up her stuff. She knew once this job was over she wasn’t coming back here. MaryAnn hadn’t believed her but that was okay. No one ever did.

She would do the Jensen job and move on. At least with this under her belt she had a much better chance of finding a new job in designing. Maybe she would even get lucky enough to land a job at one of the big shops in NYC.

None of her roommates where home so, she wrote a note to each of them and left a check on the kitchen counter for her final rent. She told them to keep her portion of the deposit since she was leaving on such short notice.

Emily started crying in earnest again. She wasn’t sad she was leaving her roommates. She was sad that she had to move at all again. In truth she really didn’t even know them that well. She hadn’t taken the time to get to know any of them, and they hadn’t taken the time to get to know her. They had all been friends in college and she had never been one of them.

She pulled her old pink suitcases out from under the bed, and started shoving everything in. Emily had a good system. Two suitcases and she could move her life. She was all packed and cleaned up by 5:30. Perfect timing. She had just enough time to drive back to the office and meet MaryAnn.

Emily arrived at exactly 6pm. MaryAnn met her in the parking garage and the headed out on the turnpike towards South Beach. The traffic was heavier than usual and it was nearly p.m. before they reached the Condo.

It was a fantastic condo! Probably the best one Emily had ever seen. Four bedrooms each one with their own bath and the view was breath taking. In was on the 10th floor overlooking the ocean. Emily could image someone rich and famous staying here.

“Wow, MaryAnn this is unbelievable! How did you afford a place like this? OH MY GOD!!! There is a hot tub in the master bathroom.” Then another high pitched excited squeal then “OH MY GOD there is a TV in the hot tub!!!!!”

“So…I will take all the happy sounding babbling to me you approve. Leave your bags in the Master bedroom, and let’s go get some dinner. My best friend has graciously agreed to meet us for dinner and drinks. Let’s get going”