Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 9

Emily was walking into Publix to get some groceries for the condo, thinking about her lunch with John and Brody. Lunch had been very pleasant. It was going to be much harder to keep acting cold towards Brody. He had been so charming and funny at lunch. Why?, she thought couldn't he have just kept acting like the egotistical asshole he’d been at dinner last night. That Brody Marshall she could call Mr. Marshall. The man she had lunch with today was nothing like the dickhead she met last night. No he had been far to charming and funny.

The lunch went by far too swiftly as far as Emily was concerned. She couldn’t recall at time in her recent history that she had been so thoroughly amused.

She had enjoyed listening to John and Brody swap stories about each other back and forth. Like the time when Brody had fallen through the roof of an unfinished building only to get caught by his underwear on a nail. John took great pains to decide the condition he found Brody in. Emily laughed to herself just thinking about seeing Brody hanging 25ft off the floor by his underwear. Imagine that wedgie John has said. Brody took it good naturedly then, professed to still have the underwear and the nail. He claimed it was to remind him why he stopped actively participating in renovation. Better in an office behind a desk.

It was easy to tell those two got along famously. The had obviously known each other a long time and really enjoyed each other’s company. In fact, once or twice during lunch Emily felt like an outsider and for just a brief moment her heart had yearned for a relationship like John and Brody clearly had. She wished she had someone, anyone that she was that close to.

At the end of lunch Mr. Marshall had again tried to become personal with Emily and asked her out for dinner tonight. She had declined, and told him she could never go on a date with someone she conducted business with.

Emily finished up shopping rather quickly and got into the line for check-out. There was a fantastic looking redhead standing inline behind her.

He looked so farmiliar, but not. He engaged her in conversation, then asked if she would have coffee with him. She was tempter but declined and headed back to the condo.

She had a lot of great ideas for many of the rooms at the Jensen's and wanted to start getting some of them on paper. She pulled into the parking garage and headed for the elevator. The first thing that struck her upon entering the condo was the smell of rotten garbage. Eww, she thought. Something is rotten. I’m going to have to get the trash out of here ASAP.

She walked into the kitchen, set her groceries down on the counter and opened the trash bin. It was empty. Not deterred she decided it must be in one of the other rooms. Sniffing the air again, she moved into the bathroom and looked into white receptacle on the floor. It too was empty.

She moved into the master bedroom and looked into the wicker trash bin. Again Empty. She inhaled deeply through her nose and could still detect the offending odor only it smelled slightly fainter. She decided to go back into the living room and see if she could figure out what stunk. She had looked everywhere. No sign of any old garbage lying around. As a last resort, she poked head under the couch and gave a good sniff. Hmm nothing. The smell seemed to be gone.

Emily obliviously returned to the kitchen and started to put her groceries away. Outside on the veranda of the master bedroom a dark figure climbed the balcony to the condo above her and slipped out of sight.