The Bounty

Vampires and Departures

1864

Jane let out a squeal, laughing as Damon had pulled her thighs from underneath her to wrap them around his waist, causing her to fall onto her back on the stiff ground. It was late autumn and the leaves from the trees blanketed the hard soil, giving a thin layer of cushion to the two lovers.

"Damon," Jane giggled as Damon bent down to kiss the nape of her neck, "we shouldn't be doing this outside!" Damon smirked, pressing his finger to her lips before leaning in to kiss her.

"If you can stay quiet, no one will know." He teased, running his hands up her thighs. Jane arched her back as Damon's fingers curled over the top of undergarments, allowing him to do as he so pleased.

It was this, Damon's abhorent sense to rules, that so excited her about him. Leaning down to kiss the delicate skin of her chest, Jane let out a moan and it was then the two heard the snapping of a twig nearby. Had Jane been paying any attention, she would have heard it much earlier only Damon had a way of distracting her. The two quickly pulled away, Damon standing up and straightening his waistcoat.

"Who's there?" He called into the trees, Jane already knew. She could feel his emotions, his pain. It was Stefan.

Jane's mind began to race. Stefan had seen her with Damon and he was furious. She stood up, already knowing what would be the result; Katarina. She had to stop her, God only knew what Katarina would do to Stefan, or Damon, and Jane would be damned before she let Katarina hurt either of them.

"What's the matter, Dear?" Damon asked, grabbing Jane's hand as she'd gone to follow Stefan. She looked back, gently touching Damon's cheek.

"I think we should go." She didn't need to compel him to get him to agree, she'd never compelled either of them. "I fear we've been near discovered." Giving Damon a quick kiss, Jane continued back to the Lockwood mansion. She needed a plan to get Katarina out of the way, and fast. Stefan was now sure to turn to her knowing that he'd been betrayed.

"And you're certain?" Giuseppe asked, pouring Jane a cup of warm tea. She could smell the vervain wafting from the hot liquid, but it was understandable that he was testing her. She'd just told him that Katherine Pierce, among a few others residing in Mystic Falls, were in fact vampires. It was the only solution she could think of; to inform the towns people. Katherine would be dead, and neither Stefan nor Damon would have any ill feelings towards Jane for her death.

Taking a sip, Jane was careful to give no signs of the slight irritation that slid its way down her throat. It was for moments like this that Klaus had made sure she'd taken a little vervain everyday to work up a tolerance. Jane wanted to flinch as she remembered her first time drinking vervain.

"I'm sure, sir, that it's been no secret of my fondness for Stefan." Giuseppe frowned, though he seemed to relax a bit as Jane continued to sip at her tea. "I have noticed markings on his chest, and I was too frightened to confront him about it. I do not know how they walk in daylight, but I have seen Stefan with Katherine on several occasions." Jane lied, but she was certain Stefan would be with her tonight after having discovered Jane and Damon earlier that day.

"But, you are sure it's Katherine?" Jane nodded, sitting down her cup.

"She's been staying in your house, I am sure you can not monitor everything that goes on while you are sleeping, Mr. Salvatore." Giuseppe gave a disappointed frown, fidgeting with his own cup. "Besides, if she has been feeding on Stefan, simply slip him a little vervain. That way, when she feeds on him again, you can capture her." He nodded at the idea.

"And you are not certain who else could be with her?" Jane shook her head, putting her gloves back on.

"But I shall leave tonight, for I fear this town may not be quite safe." She stood up, waiting for Giuseppe to see her out. "I am very sorry, Mr. Salvatore." He shook his head, taking her hand.

"It's quite alright, my dear." Escorting Jane to the doorway, Giuseppe took a look at the stairwell. A vampire had been living right under his nose, and he had had absolutely no idea. "If what you say is correct, it's best that you do return home." Jane gave a remorseful frown, patting the top of Giuseppe's arm.

"I do hope all goes well, Mr. Salvatore." He attempted a reassuring smile as Jane made her way out of the house. She could only hope that this would work. With Katarina gone, Damon and Stefan would be safe, or so she hoped.

As far as Jane knew, no one in Mystic Falls seemed to know her true identity which would make her departure that much easier. Giuseppe Salvatore had just 'proven' she wasn't a vampire with his little vervain test, so the rest of the founders council would think nothing of her leaving, except that she was being smart to get out of harm's way. There was one thing she needed to do before she left; she needed to tell Damon goodbye. Tears began to swell up at the thought, but Jane quickly wiped them away.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not quite sure if the chapters for this story will ever be terribly long, but thank you for reading.

And a special thank you to She Said Poptarts for the amazing banner!