Try to Scream

I'm Not Tired

Sleep was impossible. I stumbled around the room, looking for a way out, looking for a clue to where I was. Anything that could help me. I ended up watching a few movies on the TV and started a book.

Trent came down a couple times. The first time to give me a bowl of soup and a sandwich for dinner. The second to wish me goodnight.

I played along, of course. Saying thank you, eating the food, telling him goodnight. I was lucky; he didn’t try to touch me. I could act to a certain extent, but the moment he touched me, I knew I would break down. I didn’t want to lose it all now.

I caught a few hours sleep. My body seemed to shut down at one point and I couldn’t do anything about it. I was out like a light. I only woke when I heard the door unlock and his booted feet pound down the steps.

Sitting up, I grabbed the book I’d fallen asleep reading and started it again. Not wanting to look at him. “Good morning, Munro. I brought you toast and eggs.”

“I don’t really like eggs that much.” I said, not looking up from the book.

I heard him shift where he was standing and put the tray down. “I-I’m sorry. I’ll fix it.” He didn’t move. Out of curiosity I looked up to see what he was doing. He just looked at me. Watched me. “Are you mad?” His fists clenched. I didn’t know how to answer him, so I stayed quiet. “Munro!” He screamed, slamming his fists on the bookcase where the eggs and toast sat.

I jumped and dropped the book. I fought back tears as I looked at him. I had to be more careful. “Trent, please calm down.” He froze, his body trembling with unexplained anger. “I’m not mad. I’m just tired. I’ll eat the eggs if you want me to. It’s okay.”

“No.” His eyes moved from me to the ground. Without another word, he grabbed the tray and walked up the stairs, locking the door behind him.

I sat back in the bed and slowly took a few breaths in. Unable to hold them back anymore, I let the tears fall. I pushed the book aside and brought my knees up to my chest. I wrapped my arms around them and just let it all out silently.

Trent was gone a while. Which was good for me. But he eventually came back down with a bowl, some cereal and a small carton of milk. I thanked him quietly and smiled until he finally turned and walked back up the stairs.

I couldn’t figure out what to say or do when he came down to bring me something or to talk. The subject of leaving was taboo. I knew this already. I knew I had to look at him, or something around him to make him happy, to keep him from bloodying up my little prison. I was taking mental notes on him. Observing his moods, his anger, taking in all I could. It was like a big science project.

Something inside me wanted to joke about what was going on, compare it all to something less harmful, something that wasn’t scary. Maybe it was just my way of dealing with it. I couldn’t sit down here and not joke with myself, joke in my head.

I poured a bit of Cheerios into my bowl and added a little milk. I ate my food on the bed and set the bowl back where he had placed it previously. I took the milk and put it in the fridge and returned to the bed.

As the morning continued on, I knew I had to make myself presentable for him, in case he came down again. I didn’t know how he felt about me not being dressed by lunch, I wasn’t about to find out, either. There was no way he could continue focusing his anger on objects, one day, he was going to turn on me. I had to prevent that at all costs.

I took to the closet and grabbed a sweater and a pair of blue jeans. I walked into the bathroom and locked the door, afraid he’d come down while I was in the shower. I pushed the laundry basket in front of the door as well, not that it would do much. A light basket keeping a door closed from a large male. It didn’t matter; it helped me relax as I washed myself.

When I finished cleaning. I wrapped my hair in a towel, dried off and dressed quickly. I pushed the basket aside and walked over to the TV and found a new pile of DVD’s. I turned and noticed the bowl I had cereal in was gone as well.

I turned back to the pile of DVDs and started sifting through them one by one. I smiled to myself as I found one of my favorites. I turned the TV on and started the movie.

I sat on the bed and pulled the comforter over my lap. Through the first 2:14, I didn’t do a thing, but as the shot went to Cary Grant, a huge smile broke out on my face. He had sunglasses on and a hat. “Oh Mortimer.” I sighed, relaxing a bit.

I was surprised when Trent didn’t come down as I laughed through Arsenic and Old Lace. It was the first time I felt anything but fear. It was nice. But soon after the movie ended, Trent was walking down the stairs with a plate. He set the plate on the bed and stepped back, keeping his distance. “I made you a turkey sandwich, is that okay?”

“Thank you, Trent. It looks good.” I eyed the sandwich then looked back at him. “Thank you for the new movies.” I bit my lip and shifted on the bed. If I was going to play this part of happy kidnappee, I’d have to thank him for the simple things.

He smiled and shrugged, “You’re welcome. I got your favorite, I heard you watching it. I didn’t want to bother you until it was over.” He picked at his nails and stood there for a moment. “I am having cable hooked up for you soon. Would you like that?”

I nodded, “Yes, I would. I love Saturday cartoons.”

“I know.” He looked over at the stairs and nodded slowly. “I have to go to work, later.” He faced me again. “It’s my first day back since we started dating.”

“T-that’s nice.” The subject of dating made me want to push the sandwich as far away from as possible. But I didn’t want to move.

He shook his head, “It’s just watching cameras in a booth all night. I listen to the radio and sleep or talk with my ‘booth buddy’ Joe. It’s not big deal.”

“It’s an…important job. They need you.” I hated being this nice to him. I hated that he was still down here. I hated being here at all.

He smiled more and blushed slightly. “I’ll bring you dinner before I leave.”And with that, he was back up the stairs, leaving me with a sandwich I wouldn’t eat and a sick feeling in my stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry guys!!!!

I've been slightly distracted and I apologize for that. If you enjoy my writing, add me and you can see when I have short stories/one shots up. I tend to do that...a lot.

Just in case I am gone a while again, I have these you can read.

In The Rain - Louis Tomlinson One Shot
Afternoon Tea - Liam Payne One Shot
Kiss Me - Harry Styles Two Shot

Plus, I am also distracted by a HOPEFULLY new chapter story. View the trailer (my first one ever) HERE

Title Song: Goodnight, Central Park by Stephen Jerzak
(It's going to be hard to fall asleep to this one now xD)

OKAY I'M DONE

xx Bambi