Watch the World Burn

Chapter One

“Get you’re filthy hands off of me!” I screamed, struggling to push off the two guards whose wandering hands were leading me across the dry, cracked land of India. The rusted shackles around my wrists cut and chaffed the skin. Blood was starting to drip down my hands to my fingertips, falling like red raindrops onto the parched ground. Up ahead, there was what looked like a well coming out of the ground. I knew what this place was, I had heard rumors about it; this Hell on Earth. A place where every hope and wish you have ever held dear is broken, until you are nothing more than an animal, waiting for the next meal of the day.

“Hurry up, little girl” One of the guards whispered in my ear, giving me a rough push. I stumbled on the cracked dirt. The heat from the unrelenting sun was making me dizzy. We approached the Pit and I shivered, looking down to the bottom where the sunlight created a circle, illuminating the men who were already broken. The prisoners with nothing left to lose.

“This is where bad little girls go,” The same guard said, smiling right into my face. His breath smelled of garlic and rotten meat, and his teeth were stained yellow and brown. The other guard suddenly froze, a twisted smile crossing his face as he thought of an idea. Somehow I knew I wouldn’t like this.

“No one is ever gonna care about this girl again. A poor little orphan, all alone,” His voice was cruel, oily. I didn’t like the way he was talking, “Think about what we could do…and not a single person would care,” My heart was racing in my chest as the first guard nodded in understanding, mimicking the other’s smile. He grabbed my arms, holding me tightly in place.

“No…please,” I tried to struggle out of their strong grasp. I could feel dirty hands running over my body which was covered in nothing more than a few pieces of thin rags tied together. I felt so dizzy and weak. Salty tears were running down my face, probably leaving tracks from the dust that had accumulated on my skin. I had been able to fight off men stronger than them, before I was caught. Now I could barely stand on my own. I was weak. I tried to let out a scream but it was nothing more than a scared whimper.

“Just what do you two think you’re doing?” The guard holding me jumped at the voice behind him. The voice sounded slightly muffled, but that didn’t weaken the soft, ominous tone it held. I was spun around as the guard turned to face whoever was behind him. The other guard next to him looked terrified. I stared up at the man these two guards were so scared of, and felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as well.

He was easily six foot six, with bulging muscles that could easily tear a person apart. The man was wearing what looked like a bullet-proof, metal, vest but what wasn’t what made him terrifying. No, what made him terrifying was what encased his face. Around his mouth and nose was a silver and black mask that looked like long, skeleton-like fingers protruding from his face. This was attached to a black band that wrapped all the way around his bald head so all I could see that would give away any expression was his eyes.

“B-Bane,” One of the guards stammered out.

“I will repeat myself just once. Just what do you two think you are doing?” The man asked again.

“N-nothing…Just bringing this prisoner to the pit. We hadn’t realized you were going to be here,” The other guard managed to get out, his voice gaining strength as he spoke. I didn’t say anything, this man frightened the guards. He held power, authority, I could not know whether he was a foe or not.

“Give her to me,” He demanded, gesturing one large hand to me. The guards quickly pushed me to him. I stumbled, not prepared for the sudden force but the large man caught me easily. My legs felt like soft jell-o, the man was holding up a good majority of my weight now.

“You are not worthy of being called humans. Your actions are that of nothing more than savages, cruel and unnecessary. This girl is a prisoner, not your personal plaything. Now leave my sight before I do something we will all regret,” My sight was starting to swim, as I watched the two guards run.

“Come, child. I cannot apologize enough for the actions of those men,” I felt myself black out as this man swept me off my feet into his arms as easily as if I was a small ragdoll.