Watch the World Burn

Chapter Three

Just as he had promised, one of Bane's men came in about 15 minutes later carrying a tray of food. I had never been on an airplane before, but had heard stories about "airplane food" served in tinfoil trays with hard bread and unidentifiable meat. This was not the case. The man set down the tray on a small table next to me, and left without a word. First, the food smelled amazing. I looked over and saw a plate with what looked like roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and rice. A small bowl to the side held fresh fruit and a glass was filled with plain water. I dug in immediately, never having such food before in my life. This was comparable to the meal of a king. I didn't know who this Bane was, except he seemed to have his "men" trained well and it seemed like he owned this plane.

I shoveled the food down quickly, not bothering to savor more than the first bite. As I ate, I realized how hungry I actually was. My stomach had been trying to protect me from the pain of hunger. When was the last time I had any sort of food? The guards (I shivered as I thought of them, and what their plan had been for me) hadn't fed me before I was dragged to the Pit and before that, If I was right, I hadn't found food before that in over two days. I didn't know how long I had been passed out since Bane found me, but I guessed it had been more than four days since anything other than dirty water had entered my stomach.

Once I was done, I immediately regretted eating the food so fast. My stomach was so small, from so little food all my life that it felt like it was going to burst. I had never felt that before. I laid back down on the bed, shutting my eyes. I wondered why I didn't feel more frightened about everything that was going on. I was on an airplane going to America. I had never been there before. I had been about to be thrown to the pits of Hell, when this strange man kidnapped me. Was it even kidnapping if no one was looking for me? I was alone, after all.

I thought of India, my last home before I was captured. I hadn't always lived there. I had been born in Russia, or at least I assumed I was born there. I never knew my parents, whether they didn't want me, couldn't have me, or died I didn't know. I was, however, left on a farm where an aging farmer and his wife had found me, a baby not even a full week old. They told me this story many times, as we would sit by the fire in their small house. The farmer was out tending his crops when he heard crying, from behind one of the plants. There I was, wrapped in a small rag. They named me "Amelle" because it means hope. I was their hope. They had never had children of their own.

When I was six, the Farmer's wife died peacefully in her sleep. I cared for the Farmer as I grew older. I was forced to care for him in his failing health as well as the farm, at a young age. I was forced to grow up fast.

I hadn't realized, as I laid there thinking of my only real family, tears were forming in the corners of my eyes, threatening to spill. They had been so good to me. I was their child for the first ten years, until the Farmer too passed away. The doctors had said it was a heart attack. I was still so young, physically, but mentally I had already grown up. I knew I would be forced to live with another family. I couldn't do that, so I left the farm, taking only what I could carry, and walked.

I sniffed, wiping my tears with the back of my hand. It was after that I became a monster. The Farmer and his wife, wherever they are now, are probably so disappointed in me. I did terrible things to survive.

"Is everything alright, little one?" I opened my eyes with a jump to see Bane standing at the curtain again. For such a large man, he moved very quietly. I nodded quickly, not wanting to show weakness to a man who probably does not even know the word.

"Why do you cry then?"

"I wasn't" I replied quickly. Again, Bane chuckled.

"And what is so funny about me?" I asked him harshly, glaring, trying to cover up the tears that were still threatening to spill.

"Nothing," Bane replied simply, though he still had an amused look in his eye, "Was your lunch to your satisfaction?" I nodded. My stomach was hurting less now.

"Good. You are terribly small, hopefully we can get you some strength back. If you need to wash up at all, there is a bathroom behind you with a shower. You are more than welcome to use it," I looked behind me to a door next to the bed. I hadn't even noticed it before. Bane came closer, and picked up the tray with one hand.

"If there is anything you need, ask. I am not trying to hold you prisoner here, I hope you know. It may have to wait until we land, but I can get you anything you may wish for," Bane turned, about to leave, when I spoke up.

"Could I have some clothes?" I hadn't realized until now I was still wearing the rags I had been captured in.

"My men will find something for you," Bane said, leaving through the curtain.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am literally blown away that just the first two chapters seem to have gotten such a good response! Thank you to those who took the time to comment on it: Just_Nicole, fiction; and RazzyVengeance6661 and to those who subscribed or rec'd. You are all so wonderful! Please keep it up because it makes me feel good on the inside :) Love you all!