Watch the World Burn

Chapter Seven

I finally got to see the front of the plane, and it looked nothing like the back. While the back of it was decorated, with a fine leather couch, soft rug on the floor and things to entertain oneself with, this looked like something from the military. It was not soft and cushy. There were metal seats in the center, with sturdy looking seatbelts. Around the edge were crates marked "Danger-explosives" held down with bungee cords. Along the walls were guns and other weapons, some missing, some not. There was one man, in a camouflage military outfit, holding a gun by the door. He nodded to Bane as we walked past, out to the field. Again, I had to ask myself 'who is this man?'

All of the rest of Bane's "men" were out in the field. All of them in heavy duty military uniforms, carrying large guns. I felt my pulse quicken, they looked like they meant business. They stepped out of the way as Bane led me to a large truck on the edge of the field. He easily opened the back, to reveal a row of wooden benches around the entire edge of the inside of the truck. As though it was no effort at all, he jumped into the truck. I looked at it helplessly. It was a long jump for someone as small as me.

"Here, little one," Bane said, I was relieved to hear him sounding relatively normal again, once again like a cordial host. He lifted me up as easily as if I was a small child and gently set me down inside. His men followed behind, jumping inside and taking their seats. Bane took a seat, and I, next to him. The last man got in, shutting the large door down with a slam. A dim orange light broke through the sudden darkness, allowing my eyes to adjust from the mid-afternoon sun to the black.

"It's still a bit of a ride to where we are staying," Bane said, as the truck rumbled to life. I nodded, staring at all the men who all stared straight ahead. Bane seemed to have all of them trained very well, and I could tell they would all die for him in a heartbeat.

I don't know how long the drive was, a few minutes in I realized how tired I was and the next thing I knew, my eyes were opening back up as I felt myself get picked up into the arms of Bane. His jacket was so soft around me that I didn't mind. I kept my eyes shut, burying my head into Bane's very large chest, the coat softening the metal of his vest.

We walked, or rather he walked, for about a minute before I noticed the smell. It literally smelled like shit. I tried to breathe in the scent of Bane's coat but it was a bit overwhelming. Where were we? After the smell, I noticed the noise. It was very noisy, like a waterfall crashing down or something. I opened my eyes, looking up at Bane and then over to wherever we were going. We actually were in the sewers. I looked back up at Bane, giving him a very confused look. He didn't say anything.

We made our way down one more tunnel, and came upon a large cavern in the sewers. I was right, there was in fact a waterfall crashing down the middle of this place, with men working all around it, on ropes and pulleys up high.

"Who is that?" I heard an angry female voice demand.