Shine for Us

Winter Wonderland.

I seems to be that I lived in the winter. Everyday was winter. Winter was all I knew. Everything was cold and barren. Trees were bare, parks were empty, and the sun never shone. My life was the essence of winter. And I was fine with it, for it was all I had ever known.

So many things had happened, and I just didn't want to deal with them. So, I plunged myself into a winter wonderland. But that wonderland was lonely and I was miserable. Who wouldn't be at such a young age. Everyday spent alone. Swinging on the swings, wishing that something other than snow would fill the seat next to me. But that never happened.

So I walked the snow covered road. Day after Day. Week after week. Year after year. I thought nothing of it. I knew something was missing. There was a piece of the puzzle that I hadn't found. I just shrugged it off, though. Until that fateful day, three years ago.

Snow was falling as usual and the dark clouds filled the sky. I was walking that same path. Like I had been for years. As always I had my head down, but my ears were keen. I heard it. It was soft, but it was there. I stopped walking and listened intently.

It was music. And it was coming from all around. It grew louder, and louder and louder, until my ears were filled and nothing else could be heard. I broke from habit and looked up. A single beam of light had come through the sky. It landed right at my feet. I looked at it quizzically, for I had never seen such a sight. I put my hand right through it.

All of the sudden, I felt warmth. The small beam of light rested on my palm and was warming my hand. But the warmth continued. It spread through my body, until I was no longer cold.

I smiled. It was a small, insignificant smile, but it was my first in years. Despite everything that had just happened, I wasn't wary. I embraced it. I let myself melt into the warmth that the music had brought me. I finally felt complete.

Indeed, winter did not go away. I still walk the snowy roads. But I do it with the little beam of light following me and the music in my heart.

Thank you for warming my winter.