Shine for Us

Thanks for the Ride.

They had a sound like nothing I'd ever heard before. The scrawny one in the front had an odd haircut, and a voice that somehow(don't ask) reminded me off Mike Patton of Faith no More, when Mike wasn't throwing down raps, of course. I was sure they're guitarist was in the mafia, and was probably frequently seen roaming the streets of Jersey wearing a wife beater and leather gloves. The boy with the bass was full of smiles. And the young man in the back behind the drum kit seemed to keep the same indifferent expression throughout the entire music video.

Well, isn't that special, I'd told myself. Maybe another day.

With that, the television was shut off.

I didn't know them, not at all. Usually accepting a new band was something easy. All they had to do was appeal to my ear and I was in. These guys...I wasn't sure. Whatever I had seen and heard on the tele was bizarre. Not in a bad way, sort of like Robert Duvall in the Twilight Zone. You know, the one where he's obsessed with the miniature dolls? He's kind of creepy, but you like him because he's so sweet? Yeah, just like that...Except, this band had nothing to do with dolls, Robert Duvall or the Twilight Zone(although that is debatable).

Their sound was different from the constant string of bands that seemed to play like a broken record. In fact, all those songs and videos had become like a strange mummer and a blur of colors to me when I felt like watching tv. Yet somehow, amidst the mish mash of shapes and sounds that was Oven Fresh on Fuse, The Matches had stood out to me...Funny how that works...

Part of me likes to think that The Matches were out to get me. Sure I may have shut them down the first time they graced my television screen, but that didn't stop their video from playing daily, EVERY time I checked Fuse. Eventually, 'Papercut Skin' was embedded into my brain. They had won, I was intrigued. Within a month, Decomposer and E. Von Dahl were mine. If I liked this song, maybe I would like the rest. Besides, I needed something else to get the bass line for Papercut Skin out of my head.

I came to realize that they had names. Shawn didn't remind me of Mike Patton, in the end. Only sometimes did I have this weird image of him singing "what is it?" next to a burning piano. His voice was much more interesting, and he had a thing for story telling. Jon wasn't in a mafia, to my knowledge, and his guitar solos were amazing. Justin played bass like a freakin' angel, and I imagined he would smile just as often anyway. And Matt...Maybe he didn't speak up much, but he was a hell of a drummer and I respected that.

And with that, both albums, Decomposer and E. Von Dahl took up the space in my iTunes "Top 25 Most Played" playlist. Seeing them live became a goal of mine, and I crossed my fingers hoping they would play Seattle in the future. I won't lie, at this point in time, I had this idea lodged so deeply into my mind that band members were like rare birds. they only came out at night, and were easily spooked. I figured, you listened and watched from afar. Read about them, and looked at their pictures, much like...Gods, if you will.

Well, Epitaph Tour 2007 rolled around. I stood outside the venue, shaking like a leaf.

This was all kind of new to me! I'd spent like $15 on a ticket, and was standing outside a building on a backstreet of downtown Seattle that looked like it had seen better days. How was this possible?! The only shows I had been exposed to at that point were big bands, in huge venues and stadiums safely nestled in the stands. Was that fun? No, but at least it was something I was used to! Was I literally going to be leaning on the stage that the bands were playing on?! What?! It was way too much for my young mind to phathom. But I went with it.

A show had never felt so real to me, like I was actually apart of it! In those stands, its like you're watching a movie of the whole thing. "Blah Blah Blah: Live at the Tacoma Dome!" or something to that extent. When I saw The Matches play in at El Corazon, I was floored. It was the best show, I'd seen EVER. I sang along, and I know they heard me. I danced, and I know they saw me. I was actually in it!

Once they excused themselves from the stage, I turned to my friends and did something of a victory jig. I'd seen The Matches live now, and they were brilliant. We slipped away from the stage and ran into Shawn.

WOAH.

Woah, woah, woah.

Is that supposed to happen? Wasn't he supposed to be relaxing in a dressing room with water and a table of specially ordered food put on by some brand hoping to win their attention? No? Like I said, I was new to this, and I had no idea how to react.

"Hi!" he said.

"Hello," I said, and I imagine my eyes were as wide as dinner plates by then.

"Hi," he repeated with a smile just as wide.

"Will you sign this," I managed to ask, holding out my little ticket stub. He signed it with another smile and handed it back. "Great...Can I love you?"

The second the words left my mouth I knew I had messed up. Oh lordy. How could I? I meant to say HUG not LOVE! I was so embarrassed my face heated up and I felt like the skin was going to bubble and melt away. He was creeped out, he had to have been. He'd just turn on his heels and leave me standing there. Maybe he'd talk about me while they were on the bus. 'I ran into this girl tonight! She was so creepy!'

"Come here and love me," he near yelled with a huge smile, and before I could think I was pulled into the tightest bear hug I have ever been apart of. It was what I imagine hugging a wet sponge thats about six feet tall would feel like. I headed home that night a bit confused as to what I had just been apart of. I'd have to go see them again, but this time, I'd be ready for it.

Warped Tour of 2007 was next. I stood by that reader board for an hour waiting for the tall men to clear so I could see and write down what time The Matches would be playing. This was a little different than a small club in Seattle(I'd done Warped before), but I was dying to see them play again. The set was, like the first time, excellent! I could feel every single snare hit! I loved being that close.

I found myself hanging around the signing later. I wanted to at least shake hands with them, and tell them it was a lovely show. The line was slow, but I wasn't going to complain. Each guy was having a conversation with almost everyone that went past! In a short while, I stood in front of Matt Whalen. I'd never really anticipated meeting him. Hell, I never anticipated meeting any of them. So I sat there, at a loss for words. I'd already done the handshake, 'nice job' routine, but the line was held up, and all we could do was stare at each other.

"Hows the day been," he asked, rearranging his pens.

"Its been good. Cool shows. Weather has been nice."

"Not too hot?"

"No, sir."

"Drinking water?"

"You betcha."

"Thats good. I'm glad to hear it. It was nice meeting you," and the line moved on.

Why was that conversation so...normal? These kids are lined up forever, jumping up and down to meet them and yet, here Matt and I are, talking about the weather. Shouldn't he be waiting for me to devote my life to following their every move? In a signing like this especially, how could you not feel like one cool cat? Maybe that was just the Whalen way of life...

December rolled around, and I'd already purchased my ticket to see The Matches headline downtown. We bravely hopped in the car and drove over a snowy pass into the 'big city'. They were to be playing at a venue I had yet to go to. Another little place, hidden somewhere in an alley, I was sure. It wasn't in an alley, but it was hidden! We could not, for the life of us, figure out where it was! We combed the general area, reread the instructions, and stared at street signs. Lost, if probably the best word for the situation as a whole.

Frustrated, we whipped the car onto a side street and turned around, nearly running over a poor dude walking up the road. I recognized him though.

"Thats Justin," and I was amazed at how nonchalantly I had managed to say that from the crammed backseat.

I still suffer from the affects of whiplash, for somehow, someway, our car was pulled onto the sidewalk cutting off his path. My cousin, who was driving, rolled down my window in the backseat and ordered me to speak. I, who had been hiding below the window where I couldn't be seen, peaked over in his directrion. Justin leaned down to see inside the car, and laughed a little at us, and I felt like I was going to have an embarrasment induced heart attack.

"Um...Hi."

"Hi there," he said bouncing on the balls of his feet. It was freezing out there, and he was wondering around in a hoodie.

"We were on the way to your show, and now we're kind of lost...Do you know how to get there?"

"Only by the signs for like...stores and stuff. Its just up the road a little!"

"Maybe you should just get in."

"If there's room for me!"

I felt an empty space at my side and noticed my two friends sitting in the backseat with me had scooted so that Jessi, who was in the middle, was now sitting on Sky's, who was on the driver's side, lap. They were mouthing something like "scoot over NOW". I moved to the middle and Justin hopped on inside, warming up his hands as we cranked the heat inside.

"Its COLD out there!" Justing bounced around a little in his seat, probably to get the blood pumping. The drive was short, and he lead us right to the venue, but we talked about touring, where he was eating, the pass. It was an oddly normal conversation. Once we reached the dingy, small little venue(my new favorite kind) Justin walked with us and took a place in line, because he had nothing else to do. It was so cold the blood in my veins was starting to feel like it had ice chunks in it. To keep myself from dying in this light little cardigan sweater, I pulled out the technique that only the awesome mountain dwellers know; stomp it out. Its almost like marching in place, but it really does keep you warm. Justin watched fascinated for a moment.

"What are you doing?"

"Stomping it out!"

"Does it work?"

"You betcha!"

And together, Justin and I stomped out the cold. He had to leave and head inside to get changed for the set, but we forgave him for that. Our ticket stubs all read, "Thanks for the ride - Justin San Souci." and we were soon let in the doors to see The Matches play once again. I'm sure you can guess what I'm going to say about the set...Yes, you're right; KILLER.

I would go on to see The Matches play Alternative Press Tour, and have A Band in Hope be the background music of my daily life. Its kind of weird to think about bands just in general. I mean, how can you relate to a song written by guys who don't even seem human anymore? The legends who play huge arenas and forget why they started making music. I was at a point where I couldn't relate to anything I listened to, I just didn't feel like I belonged. But now there's a much more personal level to it.

The Matches, I learned, turned out to be just dudes. A group of guys who have seen a thing or two, toured in a van, worked to be where they are. They'll let you love them, they care about your livelihood, and maybe will get in your car if you offer them a ride somewhere. When I listen to their cd's now, I feel like they really are speaking my language, and...yeah, I love it.

To be an amazing, and successful band it is assumed you have to sell a lot of records and play venues that usually house football games.

Well, did you know to assume makes and ass out of u and me? Haha, wordplay...

In my opinion, to be amazing and successful is a little different. An amazing band plays sets that shake the walls of the building, sings songs that make you feel like it was written about you, and always stay true to who they were way back in the beginning. A successful band is one that has kids lined up outside a venue, no matter how small, that know every word to every song. Album sales, are important, yes, a band's got to eat, but stick with me here...

The Matches are just that kind of band; a group of amazing and successful guys, even if they don't see it sometimes. I would be at a loss without them having popped up on my television that day. Going to their shows and listening to their tracks in kind of like listening or seeing a group of long time friends play. A group of friends you may have had lunch with, or talked about something as silly as rising gas prices or what its like to have to eat pizza without cheese. A group of people just like you, who you can relate to.