All I Want to Know Is If You're Alive

Chapter 2

“Elizabeth, ever since William left, all you’ve done is sit in your room, waiting for him to come back.” Her mother said, picking up the picture of William and holding it in her hand.

“I wait for William to come back and hold me in his arms, and tell me that he loves me.” Elizabeth responded, taking the picture out of her mother’s hand. “I wait for him to come back alive and tell me that he doesn’t have to fight anymore.”

“That’s what I’m worried about Elizabeth. What happens if he doesn’t come back? What happens if he dies during battle or from his gunshot wounds?” her mother got up and placed her hand on Elizabeth’s shoulder. “You got to face the truth Elizabeth. There’s a chance he could never come back. There’s a chance he could never hold you in his arms again.”

Elizabeth got up from her chair and walked over towards the door. She turned back around to face her mother.

“He will come back alive. I know it. If you keep saying he’ll die in battle, eventually, it will happen.” Her mother got up and walked over to the door and looked at Elizabeth.

“Look, I now know that there’s no way that I can talk you out of believing the truth. But at least come with me and your sisters tomorrow.”

“Where are you going?”

“We’re having a picnic over near Bull Run. A lot of people are going to be there. You should really think about coming with us.” With that, her mother walked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think it's a little longer.