A Train To Anywhere

005.

Small flakes of snow fell from the darkened sky, planting themselves on everything around the silent teens. They lay mere inches apart on the trampoline behind the hotel, both of their eyes closed. Liam questioned why the trampoline was back there in the first place, then he remembered that Astin lived in the small house behind the hotel.

Astin opened her eyes, turning to glance over at the now sleeping boy. His mouth was parted slightly, his breaths coming out in small clouds. His cheeks and nose were both a rosy red from the lack of warmth. He was wrapped up in a pair of sweats, a large jacket, pair of socks and a blanket from his room. Astin reached over, softly brushing his hair out of his face before throwing her own blanket over him and slowly getting off of the trampoline as to not wake him.

She crossed her arms over her chest, looking over her shoulder at him before walking into her house, shaking the snow from her hair and smiling at her mother. “Astin Rae, you're going to catch your death out there.” She scolded, wiping her hands on a dish towel. Astin shrugged, grabbing a tea kettle and filling it with water. She placed it on the stove, letting it heat up as she picked at a loaf of bread that sat on the counter.

“Did you take your medicine today?” Her mum asked. Astin turned away from her mother, trying to avoid the menacing stare from her. Her mum sighed, pulling open a cabinet and retracting the sickly orange bottle Astin hated so much.

“It's not like it's working.” Astin mumbled. She grabbed two mugs and dropped a tea bag into each, pouring in the hot water after. She gripped her side, fingers running down her waist and let a slight tear fall.

“Astin, cancer took your father, I don't want it to take you too.” Her mother sniffled, placing the ugly pink pill into the palm of Astin's hand and closing it. “Please.” Astin cried, nodding her head and shoving the pill into her mouth and swallowing it dry.

In the beginning, when she found out she had cancer, Astin had accepted the fact that the doctor's could do nothing; they tried everything, treatments, transplants, everything. When she responded to none of those, the doctor's told her she had only a few more weeks to live, months if she was lucky and she had accepted it.

But then, a strange boy walked into her life and she realized she wasn't ready to die. She was so young; she hadn't done anything with her life and she hated that. She wanted to skydive, get a tattoo, go to Paris, fall in love. She wanted all of those things and now she was never going to get them.

Quickly, Astin shuffled the mugs into her hands and walked back outside, hoping the tears weren't still on her cheeks.

“Oi.” She called out to Liam who groaned and sat up, shivering. “You fell asleep.” She smiled, handing him the hot tea. Liam thanked her, taking a sip before climbing off the trampoline and trudging back inside, Astin on his heels. “Are you going to bed?” Astin asked. She was hoping he'd say no, she wanted to spend more time with him.

“Yeah, I’m a bit knackered.” Astin frowned and nodded, turning to leave the inn again. “You can come up if you want.” She smiled, following him up the stairs and into his room. They sat quietly, Astin on the couch and Liam teetering on the edge of his bed. “You want to have a sleepover?” Liam suddenly asked.

“A sleepover, Liam? Really?” Astin joked. “If you want to get in my pants, you could've just asked.” Liam dropped his mouth, shaking his head furiously and blushing.

“No, No. I didn't mean,” He stuttered. Astin laughed, resting her hand on his arm.

“Only joking.” She said. Liam chuckled nervously, scratching his neck and looking down at the shorter girl. She smiled, pushing him away. “I'll take the couch.” She shot, dropping down onto the small couch.

Liam knitted his eyebrows before saying, “You can sleep in my bed with me. It's no problem.” Astin looked over at the boy before shrugging and crawling into his bed, pulling the covers up to her chin. Liam cleared his throat, shuffling himself out of the jacket and climbing in next to the girl. Liam switched off the lamp beside his bed and scooted down further under the covers.

“Liam.” Astin whispered, turning so her back was now facing the wall. Through the darkness, she could just barely make out the outline of his face as he stared over at her. “Do you think we could cuddle? I usually cuddle my pillow but,” She stopped when Liam's around slid around her, pulling her into his body. Astin smiled, placing her head on his chest and wrapping her arm around his waist.

Through the thin fabric of his shirt, Astin could hear Liam's heart beating perfectly. She danced her fingers along his side, letting a light yawn creep out from between her lips. Liam gripped his arm tighter around her and for the first time in a while, he fell asleep peacefully.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, for the next few days, i'll be at my aunt's house who doesn't have internet, so no updates for a while.

But while i'm away, go check out Liesel. She has amazing stories and I love her, so you should do it!! :)