Status: Active

Flight 1D Down.

Chapter Eleven: Enough of The Sass.

I jolted awake after a few hours of being in a deep and much needed sleep. All the commotion of meeting the boys and being in a plane crash had this funny way of tiring you out a bit.

The sun was on it's way up, barely peeking out above the horizon. I felt something draped over me, surprised to see a plaid shirt that resembled one of mine, except that it was too large. Shaking it off, too tired to really think about it, I sat upright and pulled my legs to my chest and rested my chin on my knees. I could feel the annoying grains of sand scratching and irritating my skin.

Everyone else was still fast asleep, Evelyn cradled against Harry's chest with Louis dangerously close to spooning him, Casey on Niall's, and Zayn by himself. Liam had been next to me, but I kept my distance from him during the night, or at least I had tried to. As much as I would have loved to curl up next to him, the thought of his gorgeous girlfriend back home was enough to keep me at bay. I had been down that path before and I didn't intend on going back.

After Liam and I had returned to the beach, Casey and Evelyn filled us in on their findings upon swimming back out to the plane. I was slightly annoyed by the fact that Evelyn would put herself at risk for another injury by swimming back out there, but I decided against bringing it up. Instead I shot Zayn a disapproving look, meaning that he was supposed to keep them on the beach.

Apparently, the girls had found the pilot dead in the cockpit. Shock flooded everyone's faces and I did my best to comfort Casey, wrapping my arms around her.

"We're going to be okay. We're going to get out of here," Liam announced, so much determination in his voice that I almost fully believed him. He looked at me, and only I could see the true fear hidden behind his calm facade.

Niall had told the group that we would probably be found within a couple of hours, and to not get too worked up about it, being the carefree person that he is. I was happy that he seemed to calm them down a bit, but at the same time I felt that we shouldn't have gotten too comfortable with that idea.

Everyone started to feel the impact of the long day, and found resting spots on the beach away from the waves after grabbing jackets or at the very least another layer. But not me, I was stubborn and insisted that I wasn't cold. I plopped myself down beside Liam, who was now sporting a red plaid button up over his Flying Start t-shirt, out of earshot from the rest of the group. He was resting his arms on his knees, gazing out across the sea and watching the sun sink. We sat there in comfortable silence for a few minutes before he bit his lip and spoke.

"I hate lying to them," He whispered dejectedly, hanging his head. I took a deep breath and placed my tiny hand on his back, knowing exactly how he was feeling. Even though I barely knew him, well, personally that is, him and I could relate to each other really well.

"You're not lying, Liam," I told him, checking to make sure nobody had heard me. I saw them all talking amongst themselves, so I felt that it was safe to continue, "You're hoping, and we all need that." He shook his head slowly, meeting my gaze with a serious expression.

"We don't need false hope," he finalized, his innocent brown eyes turning cold and harsh. It surprised me a bit, and I flinched at his words. In a split second, his hard exterior vanished and he was back to normal, his shoulders slumping, "I'm sorry, I didn't meant to be rude," he apologized. I smiled meekly at him, trying to ease the tension and calm him down a little bit.

"I understand that you're scared. I am, too," I confessed, shocking myself. Never had I ever admitted to anyone that I was afraid. Not once. I always had my guard up, keeping that sort of thing to myself. The last thing I wanted was to appear weak to anyone. It gave people a reason to walk all over you, and to take advantage of you. I would be damned if I let that happen to me.

He gazed into my eyes, opening his mouth as if he wanted to say something, but couldn't find the words. After a few beats longer than what would be considered normal, he reached out his hand and grabbed onto mine, much like he had on the plane. It was a small gesture, but for the time being, it was enough. I smiled again and leaned my head against his broad shoulder, some of my fears subsiding.

I shuddered at the early morning chill in the air, and also at the fact that I didn't have my warm and homey jacket on. Leather jackets were a bitch to dry, especially when the interior was cotton. I sighed and draped the plaid shirt over my shoulders, rubbing my arms as well, trying to gain enough friction for heat. I looked down at the sleeping Liam and I felt my heart completely melt at the sight of him.

He was facing my direction, a respective foot or so between us, curled up in on himself. He rested his head on his arm and snored lightly, the sounds of the beach kind of drowning it out. He looked like a young boy, so angelic and serene. I furrowed my brows in confusion when I saw that he was only in his Flying Start t-shirt. I could've sworn he had been wearing something else. Suddenly it hit me, and I felt extremely stupid. I blamed my stupidity on all of the sun I had been exposed to, unable to fight the grin etching it's way across my face. The precious boy had given me his shirt while I was asleep. Bless his abnormally large heart.

I pulled it closer to me, closing my eyes and inhaling the scent of his cologne, forgetting where I was for a moment. It smelled like a mixture of citrus, amber and leather, an odd combination, but attractive and very manly nonetheless. My eyes shot open when I heard soft chuckles coming from beside me.

"Only The Brave," Liam said, smiling up at me with a that's-right-I-just-caught-you-creepily-smelling-my-shirt-when-you-thought-I-was-sleeping sort of expression. He sat up and stretched his arms over his head, his torso peeking out underneath his shirt. I tried not to look, but I really couldn't help myself. I felt like he noticed that too considering he looked at me and winked, "by Diesel," he added. I just stared blankly at his smirking face, my cheeks hot and as red as a fire truck. I couldn't even talk my way out of this one.

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go crawl under a rock and die now," I started to stand up, but he grabbed my arm, yanking me back into the sand and laughing as loud as he could without waking the others. I was so mortified.

"Oh, hush, I think it's funny," he said, beaming at me, getting way too much enjoyment out of my embarrassment. My face was flatter than a pre-teen's chest as I crossed my arms.

"I'm glad I amuse you," I muttered, refusing to look at him. I didn't want him to see my red face and have another reason to mock me. He inched closer, and I knew without even glancing at him that he was staring up at me with those big puppy dog eyes that always seemed to work to his advantage. Not like I knew from experience. Looking down at his shirt, I decided to change the subject, "Thanks for letting me use this by the way. You didn't have to do that," I handed over the warm plaid shirt that was now my mortal enemy. He took it, rolling it up into a ball in his lap and shrugged his shoulders like it wasn't that big of a deal.

"You looked cold," he replied non-chalanty, as if any other guy would have done the same and wouldn't have let me freeze, "But you're welcome, babe,"

I heard Evelyn groan in frustration on the other side of me, "Damn it, Harry, you drooled on me. That's disgusting," she whined, rubbing her shoulder against the startled boy. Instead of apologizing, Harry chuckled and rolled over, shutting his eyes again. She stared at him, clearly frustrated. Her exclamations caused Casey's eyes to flutter open and raise her head from Niall's chest, Niall following suit.

"Oh, yeah, he does that," Louis said, perking up instantly, "I should have warned you," She flipped him the bird and stood up, dusting off her pants. Louis looked at her indifferently, his lips pursed.

"Rude," he simply said, turning to shake Zayn awake. When a simple shake didn't suffice, he was practically thrashing his body around. I noted the fact that Zayn was a heavy sleeper. A very heavy sleeper. I found myself giggling at the scene unfolding in front of me. We were all extremely dysfunctional people.

I notice Casey smile at Niall in a different way, a much too friendly way, and he returned the gesture. I idly wondered what had happened to her little crush on Louis that she had not ten hours ago, but decided that it wasn't worth the time to think about. Frankly, she just had a fickle heart.

"What time is it?" Zayn asked, squinting at the sunlight that was now shining on the beach. I bit back my sarcastic comment, not wanting to offend him, but praised Louis when he basically said it for me.

"Here, just let me check one of the many clocks that we have access to," he opened his arms to accent his point that we were in the middle of the Caribbean. I loved how snippy Louis could be. The others might have found it rude and unnecessary, but I found it humorous. He and I would get on just fine. Zayn sneered at the boy before waving him off, deciding that he wasn't worth the argument. Zayn hated his sassy comments more than anything, especially when they were directed at him.

"Well, could someone please explain to me why we are even still on this godforsaken island?" Evelyn had her arms crossed over her chest, tapping her foot. Louis opened his mouth for another sarcastic comment, but Evelyn cut him off, "Don't you even think about being a smart-ass to me, Tomlinson, because I'm not afraid to rip you a new asshole," The two eyed each other for a moment before Louis leaned back on his elbows and flipped his messy bedhead. Well, beach-head.

"Rude," he muttered again, loud enough for her to hear. I winced, knowing that he was eventually going to push her far enough that he would end up with his sorry ass at the bottom of the Caribbean, or hanging from a palm tree. Liam stared at her, wide-eyed. I could tell he was a bit intimidated by her fiery personality. Then again, who wasn't? She was like Hitler in a dress.

"I think I've got sand in my mouth!" Harry randomly called out, spitting profusely and wiping his tongue with his sand-ridden sleeve, only adding to the grains he thought were on his tongue. I sighed; Harry wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, I had come to find out.

"For God's sakes, shut up, Harold," she snapped, agitated by his nonsensical comment. She rolled her eyes, her gaze falling on Liam and I. I gulped, always terrified of Evelyn when she was in this frame of mind. I prayed that Liam would be the one to answer so that I didn't have to, "Liam? You seem to have all the answers, so explain,"

"Evelyn, just settle down," he began, holding up his hands to emphasize his point, "They just haven't stumbled upon us yet. I'm sure they're looking," he sounded very calm and sure of himself, just like always. She pressed her fingers to her temples and sighed. There was an awkward silence that was interrupted by the sound of someone's stomach growling. Everyone looked at Niall, who of which looked insulted.

"Actually, that was my stomach," Casey mumbled, raising her hand, "I haven't eaten since the night before we left for the airport."

"That brings up a good point," I interjected, all eyes suddenly on me,"we need to find some fruit or any kinds of food that's safe for us to eat."

Liam nodded his head, agreeing with me, as usual. I was sure that he was probably thinking the same thing. Niall's eyes brightened at the mention of potential food, and he nodded to Casey as if to thank her stomach for growling when it did.

"I'll do it," Harry volunteered, finally standing up and flipping his hair to the side. I watched as sand fell out of his curls, piling onto his shoulder. I raised my eyebrows questioningly as Liam stared at the young boy skeptically.

"I don't know if that's such a good idea," Liam said, grimacing as Harry frowned, a bit hurt by our lack of trust.

"Come on! I know the saying!" he argued, throwing his head back, "red and yellow, kill a fellow, white and blue, good for you," he quoted proudly, earning a disapproving glance from Evelyn. I kind of wanted to laugh at her facial expression, the way looked at him like his was a complete imbecile. She clapped her hands together and ran her fingers through her hair, twisting a hair-tie around it, and placing it into a tight pony-tail.

"Well, seeing as Curly's going to kill us all, I'll go," she offered, and looking to Harry added, "It's 'White and yellow, kill a fellow. Purple and blue, good for you', dumb-ass," She turned on her heel and started walking to the forest.

"Close enough," He said quietly before following after her into the woods. There was no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't be back for awhile.

"We'll also need to build a fire," I continued, "to boil water to keep us hydrated." Casey raised her hand almost immediately, as did Niall. Apparently the two of them were boy and girl scouts at some point in their lives. I granted them approval for the job and smiled, thinking that the two of them actually looked kind of cute together.

"And Louis, you can fetch the wood for the fire," Liam added, a mischievous glint in his eye. Louis looked at him incredulously, wondering if he was really talking to him.

"You're joking," He scoffed, and then upon realizing that he wasn't, he frowned at him, "You are joking, right?" he pleaded, hoping that our answer would be different this time.

"I think you're capable of finding twigs, Lou," I tried to stifle my giggles, finding the whole morning beyond humorous. Liam enjoyed being in charge, I could tell, especially since he knew that everyone would listen to him, being the most sensible and all. I listened as Louis huffed and puffed down the beach, mumbling something about being treated like a peasant and kicking the sand the entire way.

"What a princess," Zayn mused, a smirk on his face as he stared after Louis' retreating figure. I nodded my head in agreement. Princess Louis, indeed "And what does that leave us to do?" he questioned, adjusting his quiff that had basically deflated, making it a lost cause.

"We need to make some sort of SOS sign," Liam ordered, looking to me for approval on his idea. I smiled at his need to ask, of course I was going to agree with him. I knew Zayn was creative and artistic, so it was smart to have him aid us.

This morning only made me realize that we needed all the help that we could get.
♠ ♠ ♠
xx
Dare