Status: still in progress

The Ebony Secret

Maeve

While they traveled, Alexis closed her eyes. She didn't want to see what was outside. They finally landed and Alexis felt her feet thump on the ground. She slowly opened her eyes, and the sight astonished her.

She was standing in a land of vibrant colors, deep purples, bright oranges, and rich greens. There were trees and flowers everywhere. There were also caverns and caves full of glimmering crystals, bright lighting bugs and tiny treetop houses. They were interwoven with dark twigs and vines,and decorated with flowers, leaves and stones. There were lots of fairies, little children, as well as adults. She had small white wings.

The circle broke up, and Lassirra and Fen directed her to what seemed to be a large hollow made up of branches and twigs. There were many fairies in there. They were all walking around like ants in an anthill.

“Where are we going?”, she whispered quietly to Lassirra.

“We're taking you to the Fairy Queen, or as your kind sometimes calls her, Mother Nature.”

Alexis looked nervous, but still took in the amazing size of the hollow. She wondered how big she was. Was she the same size she was at home, or was she only a few inches high?

“It's all right, she's very kind, she just wants to talk to you about your task. What it is, I don't know; Fen won't tell me.” Lassirra said to her, interrupting her train of thought.

Fen smiled playfully at Alexis, and the to Lassirra.

“Do you like your wings?”, Fen asked Alexis.

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“It's all right if you don't like them; they're only temporary for entering the fairy realm. There are no humans here except for you; anyway, you wouldn't be able to tell them from the rest of us. You'd only know if they told you. But they don't stay long.”

They turned the corner into a large, warm hollow. Torches of rainbow colored flames were hung on the crude wooden walls. They were the only ones in it. At the end of the hollow was a throne, made carefully out of twigs. It looked like the wicker chair Alexis' mother used to own. Sitting in it was an extremely beautiful fairy. Her dress was made of long, dark leaves and purple blooms. Her hair was black, with lots of different flowers intertwined in it.

“Hello, Alexis.”

She shook Alexis' hand.

“My name is Maeve, I am the queen of the fairies.”

She told Lassirra and Fen to leave while she talked with Alexis.

“Now, Alexis, I have a special task for you. Some of my fairies have tried it; they just can't get it out to the world like the humans do. You see, your species thinks that they own the world, that everything evolves around their kind. The truth is, we deserve the right to be that too. You've seen us; as well as many other like you. They are open to us, they just didn't know it. And now they live their lives, different than before. With a different understanding of the world.”

Maeve then got closer to Alexis.

“Now, listen carefully. I want you to return home to your family. I want you to give these to your parents.”

She gave Alexis two small stones, bright and clear with the colors of the rainbow scattered through them. Alexis put them in a bag that Maeve then handed to her. It was made of fine, silver silk.

“Keep it safe and tell them the truth about where you got them, or else the charm won't work. After that, you will have seven dreams, dreams of the past, the present, the future, of the things I want you to remember and pass on to your children, then your children will pass it on to their children, and so on. You will meet one fairy from each, and they will give you something in return.”

She then kissed Alexis on the head and sent her out to return home with Fen and Lassirra. They went outside to a circle of mushrooms.

“What did she say?”, asked Lassirra, “I deserve to know, I'm over one hundred years old!”

Alexis looked surprised. Lassirra looked six, and yet she was older than Alexis by at least ten times.

“I'm not sure if I am able to tell you. Could I, Fen?”

“I think it would be best if you keep what the Queen told you to yourself, and do what you are told to do.”

Then, they held hands, as they entered the circle. When they started to travel, Alexis opened her eyes, for she felt that she could handle any image now. Her eyes were greeted with the wings of a thousand butterflies.