Status: still in progress

The Ebony Secret

Parents

“Fen?”

She called into the now light forest. She forgot to ask Fen if she could go and see Ghusoon, Lassirra's deer friend. There was no answer.

Now, she had no idea how to return home; but as she was thinking she heard her parents' frantic yells.

“Alexis!? Alexis, are you out there!?”

“Yes!”, she yelled back to them.

They ran to her, and hugged and kissed her as if she had been gone for a month.

“Where were you? Are you alright? “, they threw questions at her.

She buried her head into her father's shoulder.

“I'm alright”, she cried.

They brought her back home. Her parents' house was messy; there was broken glass and pottery on the floor. Her parents told her all about the men. They had stolen some of her mother's fine jewelry. They had tried to steal Alexis' amethyst ring, but her father had hit one on the back of the head with a vase.

As they were eating dinner; Alexis decided to tell them what Maeve had told her to do; tell them the truth.

“Mother? Father?”

“Yes, Alexis”, they both answered.

“I have something to tell you. I strongly doubt that you will believe me, but I want you to try.”

She told them the entire story, from the dream, to what she recently experienced in Ebony. They stared at her. She was wondering if they were marveling at her experience, or about to call an exorcist.

“Alexis, dear.”, her mother said, “You mustn’t make up things like that. Now, tell us the truth or you will have a punishment.”

“But it is the truth! That's what the Queen told me!”

Alexis realized then that she did sound rather childish, like a toddler who has heard to many fairy tales. But, she never heard fairy tales growing up as a child; her parents didn't believe that tales fueled young minds.

She was sent to bed early, for her parents didn't believe in her fantasy. But before they went to bed, she slipped the tiny crystals under their pillows. She was nervous about the dream she was to receive; she wondered if it would be like a nightmare, or like the calm, mystical dream she had the other night.