Status: Don't be a silent reader!!

Breaking Free

Safe and Sound

I lie in bed, trying unsuccessfully to wipe the smile off my face that has been there since my earlier conversation with Declan. I don't know how, but he seems to understand me. It’s as if he knows exactly what I've been through, like he may have even been through it himself; but I know that's impossible. He doesn't have a negative bone in his body. No matter how bad things get, with Declan, there's always a silver lining...
 

 
Declan and I are sitting on the soft, green grass behind the technology wing of our school. He hasn't said anything, but I can tell he is still worried about what I told him the other day. The always present grin on his face is faded and he keeps opening his mouth as if to say something and then stopping himself. 
--------
"Declan, we need to talk."
 
"Yeah, I know."
 
"What I said the other day…"
 
"It was true, wasn't it? Everything about how your Dad died and how your family treats you?"
 
I feel a lump in my throat and all I can do is nod.
 
"I'm not going to tell anyone, if that's what you're worried about."
 
"That's the thing. I don't know whether I want you to tell or not. I mean, I don’t want to lose Annie; but at the same time, I don’t think I'll last much longer living like this."
 
He scoots closer to me and gently places his arm around my shoulders.
 
"Maybe you won't. Lose her, I mean. You're almost eighteen, right?
 
I nod, curious to see where he's going with this.
 
"If you wait until after your birthday, there's a chance the court will grant you custody."
 
I leap to my feet, full of joy and excitement. Declan's right! If I wait, everything could work out.
 
"I-I never even thought about that!"
 
Declan gets to his feet so that he's at my level.
 
"That's why you have me!"
 
He gives me a cheeky shrug and I can’t help but smile. I throw my arms around his neck and he spins me around in circles.
 
"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"
 
He stops spinning but doesn't let me go. Our faces are inches from each other and I can smell the musk of his aftershave.
 
"You’re welcome."
 
He smiles and brings his lips to mine. I begin to pull away, still having difficulties trusting anyone, even myself. He senses my worry, but instead of letting go, he pulls me tighter against him.
 
"It's okay, I won't hurt you. Ever."
 
I try to avert his gaze and he lifts my chin so that his eyes are looking straight into mine.
 
"You promise?"
 
"Promise."
 
I wrap my arms around his neck and bring his lips down to mine. The kiss is soft and safe, but it feels right. I pull away after no more than thirty seconds and return to my place on the grass.
 
"Declan?"
 
"Yeah…?"
 
"If I tell you something, do you promise not to mention it to anyone?"
 
"Okay…"
 
"It's my mum; she's been acting really weird lately."
 
"How do you mean?"
 
"Well, she'll start to lash out at me and then just, stop. She even tries to apologise."
 
Declan looks puzzled.
 
"I'm struggling to see how this is a bad thing."
 
"I'm not saying it's bad, just weird. She's never stopped herself from hurting me before, let alone said sorry for it. I think something's up. Something serious."
 
"Well, how about for once, you just deal with it as it comes…?"
 
I roll my eyes.
 
"Yeah, sure, I'll just-"
 
He cuts me off with a kiss. It's a lot more intense than the last one and I can't help but completely give in to it...
 
 

 
I couldn't stay long after that- I wasn't going to risk the trouble my family would give me if I was late home- but the short period of time I could stay, was by far the most fun I've had in years. We didn't do much, just talked really; but Declan is the only person I've ever met, apart from Dad, who made me feel safe and that's all I've ever asked for.