Status: Don't be a silent reader!!

Breaking Free

Two Truths and A Lie

I pick at the remnants of my last meal, a vegemite sandwich, and think of everything that's changed since Declan came into my life. Jack's hardly home and has sort of stopped beating me, there's a great chance I'll get custody of Annie and most of all I've found love. Everything in my life is perfect! Well it was, up until a few days ago. I trust that Declan's father will prove me innocent, but right now, this jail cell is driving me mad.
 
It's so cold and dark. It's full of strange smells and… silence. It's so still and quiet that sometimes I actually find myself missing my old life. At least I was busy then, cleaning and cooking. Here I have no way to stay occupied. I started counting my scars yesterday; I got to fifty-three before I gave up. There were thirteen on each of my legs, nine on my left arm, seven on my right and the others were spread out on my torso and back.
 
I begin to recollect how each of the scars occurred before I hear the first noise I have since my food was brought in- a key being fumbled into the lock of the big iron door to my block. I know they must be coming for me, being the only one in here. When I came back from trial a couple days ago the only other prisoner had been released.
 
"Miss Blanchett, you have a visitor."
 
A look of confusion spreads across my face; I assumed it was lunch time or something. A figure slowly starts to emerge from behind the guard- Declan's dad.
 
"Mr Porter. What are you doing here?"
 
He seems fidgety, but not in a bad way. He seems… excited.
 
"We won."
 
"What?"
 
"We won."
 
I can hardly believe my ears. The trial was supposed to go on for months.
 
"We got a witness. You know Holly, your neighbour? She saw your mum leaving the house that day unscathed, her mum's security cameras caught the whole thing. How you didn't leave the house till the cops came."
 
"I guess there's an upside to being her being paranoid, huh?"
 
"Yeah. When you mother was questioned she broke down. Confessed to everything."
 
"So, what happens now?"
 
"What happens now is you're free to go."
 
"Really?"
 
"And that's not even the best part. They moved the custody trial forward! Because of this stunt your mum pulled, Annie should be all yours by the end of the month!"
 
I let out a small squeal as I run out the door, which has now been opened, and into my lawyer's arms.
 
"Thankyou, Mr Porter! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!"
 
He chuckles as he unhooks my arms from around his waist.
 
"It was my pleasure. And Cate? Call me Richard."
 
 
_________________________________________________
 
 
The next month was absolutely chaos. Days in court, exam prep and finding places to live. Declan was nothing but supportive. Helping me study as well as house hunt. Of course, he couldn’t be there all the time, he has his own life. In fact, he was just offered a scholarship to a music school up north. I'm happy for him, but I can't help but think about what I'll do when he leaves. He says we can do the long distance thing, but I know that never works. Maybe it's a good thing; might give me more time for Annie.
 
Mr Porter is almost certain we'll win the case, unless of course some kind of disastrous event leaves me incapable of caring for a child. My main concern at the moment is money. I know when Dad died he left some money in a trust account for me, but it probably wasn’t much and my mother is bound to have taken some out. I suppose I'll get a job or apply for financial assistance.
 
"Cate? Cate?"
 
A persistent voice snaps me out of a haze I wasn't even aware I was in. I look up to see Declan with a smirk on his face indicating that I've been zoned out for a while.
 
"Whatcha thinking about?"
 
"Nothing, really. The future. School, money, Annie."
 
"Everything'll work itself out. You'll see."
 
I smile and raise myself from my seat at his breakfast bar.
 
"I hope you're right."
 
I close the short gap between us and wrap my arms around his waist, snuggling my head into his chest.
 
"Aren't I always?"
 
I chuckle and lift my eyes to his before leaning in for a soft but meaningful kiss and then rest my forehead on his.
 
"I love you."
 
"And I love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally decided how this is all going to end. Should be updating again soon!

xxDedicatedStereotypexx