Status: Don't be a silent reader!!

Breaking Free

Real Hope...Not the False Kind.

1 Month Later.

"Hey, Becca! Could you put this box in the car?"

"Yeah. Just a sec."

I was sitting in what was once my lounge room. There was nothing here anymore. No furniture, no family, no future. All I had left of this place were memories, memories that I wished I could just forget and hopefully one day- I would. Annie sits next to me on the floor playing with the one doll I didn't make her put away. I stand in front of a box full of photos. The one's my mum put up to indulge her fantasies of a happy family.

I pick up the album sitting on top of the file and open it to the first page. I blow the dust off the clear plastic covers and study each of the photographs intently. The first is of a young man and woman on their wedding day- my parents. At first I barely recognise my mother because she actually looks happy- pretty almost.

I can’t help but think that this could have been Declan and I one day. That if everything had worked out the way it was supposed to, we could be happy like my parents are- or at least, used to be. I stop myself before my train of thought travels too far. I know if Declan was still here, he would want me to keep pushing on.

Mr Porter has offered Annie and I the spare room, so we don’t have to pay rent on top of everything else. I'm trying to get a job, Holly's mum said that if worse comes to worse, they'll take me on as a waitress at their restaurant. Everybody started acting weird once they found out what my life was really like, they felt sorry for me I guess, but I wasn't going to accept anyone's charity- accept with the whole roof-over-my-head situation.

"Cate! You have mail…"

On the last word, Becca stretched out the vowel sound making the whole phrase seem overly cheery. She walked in swinging around one of those big A4-sized envelopes. I took it from her hand and without even reading the label, opened it up.

<i>

Dear Miss Cate Blanchett,

We are glad to inform you that you have been accepted into our visual arts program here at Blackett University. Your enrolment package is inside the envelope along with any other information you may need. We hope to hear from you soon.

</i>

My eyes widen with shock and confusion. I got into the best arts program in the country! But, I didn't even apply.

"Cate? What is it?"

When I don’t answer she snatches the letter from my hand. As she reads, I pace around the room.

"Cate, this is awesome! I didn’t even know you-"

"I didn't."

"Then who…?"

We lock eyes with each other as we both come to the same conclusion.

"Declan."
♠ ♠ ♠
...and the story finally reaches its conclusion. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad.