Status: Don't be a silent reader!!

Breaking Free

Friend or Foe?

"And everything's okay at home?"

I'm sitting in the school counsellor's office, with Declan by my side, trying to persuade him that I'm perfectly fine. It's not working.

"Yes. Fine."

"You don't fight with your mother?"

"No, we don't fight."

It's surprising how easily lying comes to me now.

"And there's nothing going on with your classmates?"

"No, nothing."

I know that he's coming up to the real question, the one I have no answer for. I glance at Declan, who is sitting in the chair beside me for god knows what reason. I thought these meetings were supposed to be private. To my astonishment, he looks genuinely concerned about me.

"Then do you care to explain the reason behind what happened between you and Declan?"

I open my mouth, but nothing comes out. For once, I have no excuse, no false reason behind my actions, and I am stuck wondering why. It's not the first time I've been in a situation like this and every other time I've been able to get out of it; but this is different and I've no idea why.

"Cate?"

Still, nothing. This time it's Declan who tries getting through to me.

"Cate, it's okay. You're not in trouble."

I know he means it, but he's wrong. If Mr Verist does help me, it could cause me more pain than anything else in the world. Who knows what could happen? They could send me to a boarding school, or even worse, put Annie and me into foster care. We would get split up and I can't live with that on my conscience.

"I bumped my head this morning. This girl ran into me, Declan's sister actually, and it must have messed with my head. I'm fine now. I had the nurse check it out."

"I'm sorry, Cate, but I'm not sure whether to believe you."

Declan flicks his gaze from me to the counsellor.

"She's telling the truth. My sister did bump into her this morning and Zara told me it was pretty bad. It hadn't crossed my mind, but that's probably what happened."

My eyes widen in shock. Someone, an actual human being, has actually stuck up for me. Declan knows mine and Zara's colliding had nothing to do with my behaviour earlier.

"I am sorry, Declan. You didn't deserve for me to take it out on you."

He shakes his head.

"It's fine. It wasn't your fault."

Mr Verist dismisses us and I quickly exit, hoping I'll get to my locker without Declan interrupting. Of course, no such thing happens.

"Cate," Declan calls out after me.

I ignore him, to no avail.

"Cate!"

I spin around on my heels and he almost rams into me.

"You owe me an explanation."

He looks at me expectantly.

"There's nothing to explain!"

"Really? Because I'm pretty sure you snapped at me earlier and for no reason whatsoever."

I take a deep breath in and lower my voice.

"Look, I didn't mean to snap, but if you want an explanation you'll have to make one up yourself."

"Cate."

He looks at me pleadingly.

"Cate, please."

Taking my hand in his, he walks towards an empty classroom.

"What are you doing?"

He smiles and leans in closer to my face. Our lips are inches away. Flooding with anticipation, I close my eyes and lean the slightest bit closer. Instead of the softness of lips, I feel the force of his fist on my arm.

"Ow! What the fuck was that for?"

No answer. I get teary and his averts his eyes.

"I get this enough from my brother! I don’t need it at school to!"

Declan's head turns back to me and I realise a little too late what I just said.

"Oh, Cate."

He pulls me close and I rest my head in the groove of his neck forgetting everything that just happened. After all, I no longer have anything to lose.