Status: Don't be a silent reader!!

Breaking Free

Right and Wrong

I walk home with Holly, but am only half aware of what she is saying. All I can feel is regret, regret for pouring my soul out to Declan, regret for putting myself ahead of my sister, but above all else, regret for feeling no regret at all.

"Cate? Cay-ate? Cate!"

Holly punches me in the arm and I am pulled back to reality.

"What?"

"I asked you if I should make the first move."

"Make the first move?"

"You know, whether I should ask out Ty or wait for him to ask me?"

I sigh, wishing that we had something else to talk about.

"I don’t know, take the upper hand. Ask him." I reply half-heartedly.

"Really? I thought I should wait for him to ask me."

"Than do that!"

"But I thought you just said I should take the upper hand."

I bite my lip to refrain from screaming at her.

"So...What do you think I should do?"

"I don't care, Holly! Ask him out!

"Are you sure, I mean, what if he says no?"

"Aaaaarrrrgh!"

I lose it and run off down the street in the general direction of my house. When I'm sure it's safe and Holly is no longer following me, I stop running and attempt to figure out where I am. Thankfully, I'm only around the corner from home. I catch my breath and start to walk. When I reach my front garden, I glance at my watch. Oh no. It's 4 o'clock. I was supposed to be home half an hour ago. Mum is going to murder me.

"Cate! You're home!" I here mother's voice coming from the kitchen when I enter the door.

To my surprise, she sounds kind of pleasant. My surprise fades when I enter the kitchen to find a woman in an ugly pant suit sitting at the dining table.

"Cate, this is Marnie, she was sent by your school."

My head spins with accusations and excuses, but no matter which way I go about it, this is all my fault. I talked to Declan. He probably told Mr Verist and now this woman's here to take Annie and me away.

"Hi, Cate."

She stretches out her hand and I reluctantly shake it.

"Ms Blanchett, do you mind if I speak to Cate in private for a minute?"

"Of course! Cate, take Marnie to your room, the two of you can chat there."

I nod and direct Marnie down the hall. I look back at my mother for a slight moment and she gives me a look I can only assume means that when Marnie leaves, I am going to get the shit kicked out of me.

"So, Marnie, what is it you want to talk about?"

I unsuccessfully try to cover up the tone of worry in my voice.

"Let me start off by saying you're not in trouble, Cate. In fact, quite the opposite. I was sent here by Mr Verist to talk to you about your future."

Intrigued, I clear a spot on the bed next to where Marnie sits in my desk chair. She pauses and I gesture for her to continue.

"The thing is, Cate, many of your teachers have recommended you for a place at the very prestigious Linwood Academy and upon reviewing your file, we have decided to offer you that place."

My mouth drops open in shock. Me, Cate Blanchett, the forgotten and unwanted child that nobody ever cared for, has finally done something right.

"Oh. My. God. You're kidding right?!"

"I kid you not. Miss Blanchett, your academic abilities are ranked in the highest five per cent in the entire country. If we didn’t offer a place to you, we might as well be a public school!"

She shudders at the thought.

"We are giving one week to decide. After that, you lose your place."

With that, she walks out of my room and shortly after, the house.

"Cate! Get in here!"

I walk into the kitchen to find that my mother is and Jack has taken her place. He must have gotten home while I was talking to Marnie. The look that that sits upon his face is that of pure horror and I know exactly why. It's because I, the forgotten and unwanted child, finally did something right and to him, it couldn’t have been more wrong.

"How dare you embarrass me like that!?"

His voice is menacing and full of anger.

"Do have any idea what it's like to have a pathetic sister like you and then have her be better at something than you? Do you know what that does to a man's pride? Do ya?"

I know he can smell the fear on me, but I try to stand my ground anyway. I am not going to let get to me. Not today.

"No? Well then I'm going to have to show you."

He pounces on me, pulling out a knife I didn’t even know he had. I try to run but he has me pinned to the ground before I can make a move. My face is pressing against the linoleum floor and my struggles are getting me nowhere.

"It's no use. You know you can’t beat me. You're weak. You're soft. You're worthless."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please