Status: Completed.

Trust Me

hypothetically speaking

"You trust me, right?" Ben asked. She nodded her head slowly, unsure of where he was going with this. "And you know I trust you?" Again, she nodded. "Then tell me what's been going on."

"What are you talking about?"

"You're avoiding me, Hannah. And whenever we are together, you're in another world and you're even more awkward than usual. We're best friends - tell me what the problem is and I'll try to help."

"I-...I," she hesitates unsure. But the sincerity in his eyes makes her resolve crumble. She wrings her hands together nervously, averting her eyes to anywhere other than his face. "I....I think that I love someone."

He looks shocked for a moment before clearing his throat.

"Okay..."

"And I...I don't know if he likes me back at all. I just don't know how to tell if we should be together - if I should risk getting hurt or even hurting him."

Ben studied her carefully before stepping closer. “Let’s speak hypothetically,” he began, “If I was in love with a girl, I'd know that she was worth the risk of getting hurt if she makes me want to smile all the time.”

Ben kept his eyes locked on hers and she could feel her stomach tightening anxiously. He continued, “I would hope that she made me feel like I never wanted to be without her because not having her near makes me worry if she's okay. I’d know that I loved her if she laughed at all of my jokes, however horrible they may be. And I’d hope that just by looking into her crystal eyes I could feel like a better me and like nothing could ever go wrong.” As he spoke, he kept moving closer and closer to her, until finally her back hit the wall and she had no further to go.

“I’d have to love everything about her,” he murmured, “Her freckles, her rosy cheeks and short brown hair,” Hannah froze as he described her to a T. Ben smirked, “I’d have to love her body – worship it even.”

Hannah’s breathing became uneven as Ben’s arms placed themselves on either side of her arms, caging her in against the wall. He looked at her seriously, cocking his head to one side, “I would know that she was worth the risk if even the thought of someone else touching her makes my blood boil." He stepped impossibly closer, his forehead now on hers, his lips just inches from her own.

"I would know that I love someone if everything she did, right down to the way she walks with her head held high to the eloquence of her voice, makes me tremble with both anticipation and curiosity."

She struggled to find her voice, “T-this is all hypothetical right?” She asked, her voice quiet and meek, slightly breathy.

Ben stared into her eyes, his hand sliding across her hip, his fingers gently rubbing the exposed skin between her shirt and shorts. “What do you think?”