Steam Powered Hearts

Chapter 2: Meeting Edward

I run to the bunks and pull open the heavy door to the girls dorms. Most workers choose to live at home, but being so far from home I decided to set up camp in the accommodation provided at the station.

It isn't anything fabulous, but I've ended up having a second family living with the other workers. As I go in I see Grapes, a barrier girl, crying her eyes out. I'm positive the tears are for Kelseigh, and I give her a hug to calm her down. We both need to be working at the barriers in a short while, and being tearful and unpresentable is not acceptable.

I don't have any words to cheer her up. I think if I started to speak myself, I would probably tear up, and I also don't have a clue what I could possibly say that would make us feel any better. The only choice we have in life is to stick to the rules, or end up like Kelseigh. Instead we both work on getting me ready to be a barrier girl.

I scrub at my face trying to get it clean as Grapes does a nice updo for me. She files my nails, as I remove body hair using what we call the 'zapper', some gizmo from the well-offs that zaps away the hairs. Together we put my make up on, making sure it matches the requirements stated by the booklet, which has all the rules and regulations about appearance, and etiquette.

I absolutely hate that book. Although you can't really call it a book, it doesn't even have words, only pictures, as many women workers are never taught how to read or write, only shown how to serve the well-offs.

I pull on stockings and Grapes helps me into a dark green corseted dress. The length is not too bad, if it weren't for the slit at the back, and the design of it is focused to the cleavage- something I was not blessed with. The other girls look much more graceful in it, but on me, no matter what I do, it is always ill-fitted. I slip on heels, whilst I also slip on 'barrier girl mode'.

I will smile for the whole shift, make casual conversation with the well-offs and make their time in the station a pleasant one. None of this comes naturally to me, as I have a deep dislike for the pompous well-offs and simply put, a smiling girl- I am not.

Together we walk from the bunks to the barriers, which are simple archways, laced in decorations of carved foliage. I stand in the position shown in the booklet, pointed foot into the other, hips at an angle, with the shoulders forward, and a big smile on my face. One of the guards making his rounds comes up to me for a short chat, seeing as the station is quite empty.

"Not in the yard today then?" Taibus asks, holding back Tin the guard dog, who was pulling at his lead to reach me. As much as I wanted to stroke the dog, I had to be the barrier girl now, I had to resist. I shake my head at Taibus before he carries on, "Boys are having trouble with the big green, but Potter wants it out tonight."

Taibus is talking about one of the older engines that is really quite impressive, but has been an endless list of problems. "Potter better be careful," I warn Taibus, "It's too unpredictable, those brakes are dire."

Taibus lightly shakes his head with disbelief, "The well-offs above him are definitely working him off his feet. We'll be digging him an early grave. The mice get eaten." Taibus recalled a popular old saying amongst workers and I watch him try to pass me a folded note.

"Not here." I hiss, glancing round. "Later, when I'm back on the yard." Taibus quickly returns the note to his pocket and shuffles away, glancing up around the well-off hall noting the CCTV. I assume the correct waiting position again, giving the nicest smile I could as the first well-off came my way.

"Good morning Sir, how are you today?" I ask politely as a doorman pushing suitcases up to the archway follows a tall well-off.

"Very well, thank you." The well-off replies, and I judge instantly that he was a man of bad morals, simply because of who he is.

"May I see your ticket please? Or do you wish to purchase one now?" I gently speak noticing the little luggage he had. A short journey, perhaps? It isn't uncommon for one well-off to use a whole carriage or two for all their luggage- which was often empty suitcases, and the whole affair was just to show off how they can afford to do such stupid extravagant things. This was pretty underwhelming.

"Actually, I would like to purchase a ticket now, see, there's been a rather irritating happening. I was supposed to be getting a plane today but there was some delay at the airport- completely unacceptable. I decided there and then to never waste my time with flying in the air again. The train may not be quicker, but I would much rather convenience and comfort over speed."

A delayed plane had put this man in quite a state, how pathetic. But I couldn't let up my performance and continued with my smiling face, "So will this be your first train ride? Where will you be going?"

The chap seems to be in the mood for a conversation, and I wondered whether it had anything to do with the fact that he was having a conversation with a dolled up girl. Maybe he thought he's being treated to something special- I've heard that the standard of girls at the airports are considerably lower than at the station, but it's probably all hear'say.

"Well, I did have one train ride a long time ago, with my grandfather. It seemed dreadfully exciting at the time, being a young boy, but with age trains seemed to lose that glamour. I would like a single to Genehouse."

My passion for trains came bursting out and I couldn't resist, "Trains have most definitely not lost the glamour!" I almost shout. In an instant I remember my place, "Of course, we have done our best to bring back the enjoyment in train rides, using real steam engines, with excellent interiors. The cuisine and entertainment provided can now prove to be real competition with other modes of transport nowadays. I assure you that you will enjoy this trip."

After my outburst the man shifts his feet slightly and I notice him reevaluating me, looking me up and down. I took a deep breath and prayed that he would make no complaint. One bad word from a well-off and my life will be turned upside down. I get his ticket ready and try to think of something to keep the conversation going, but my slip up filled me with fear and I have frozen up. I keep smiling though.

He looks at me with a curious face, "Have you taken the train much?" He asks. A curious question for a well-off, they are normally far too self absorbed to care for anyone else. I answer honestly.

"As a passenger no, sometimes I work on the train."

"So you enjoy riding the train, even when you are working?" Another question! Like he had done with me, I reevaluate the man. He looked like every other well-off, well bred, well dressed, well fed. But these questions make him different from all the others.

"Yes, I do. May I have your finger?" Glad to move the questions away from me, I held out a printboard- another well-off gizmo. You place your fingers on it to make the payment. I watch him press his index finger onto the board till it flashes green, indicating the payment went through.

"Would you like me to guide you to your cabin?" I ask, "Or do you wish to stay in the station for refreshments. The train will leave in twenty minutes." My nose began to itch, but being a barrier girl meant I should resist. It isn't proper to touch your face in front of the well-offs.

"Please take me to the cabin," I told him to follow me and we walk into the great dome where the well-off platforms were. The hiss of the steam engines brought me to life and the light shining through the giant glass dome above gave a lovely lofty feel to the station.

As soon as my back was turned from him I quickly scratched at the itch on my nose. Once the itch went, I peep round, happy to see I got away with it- no one noticed.

"Travelling alone?" I ask, even though the question was perhaps too personal, I had become curious about who this man was.

"Yes, I was here visiting a cousin of mine. Interesting city." Interesting did not mean good, I guess the city didn't please him.

"It is, isn't it?" I found myself replying, "The parade is just hideous." I slapped my hand to my mouth realising I had slipped up again. The parade was where the mayor lived, and you were not supposed to say bad about it, on the contrary, you were supposed to say glorious things about it, encouraging tourism and what not.

I hear a gentle laugh come from the man, I look at the porter a few metres behind pushing the luggage who hadn't heard. I prayed again that the well-off didn't complain. "I thought exactly that." He replies.

I couldn't tell by the tone of his voice whether I was in real trouble or not. Kelseigh leaving had put me in a right state, and at this rate I was going to make so many mistakes this day, I'll be taken away before 5. I was glad that the walk was soon to be over, with the coach door just in front.

I walk a pace past the door he would be boarding on and turned on my heel to face him as he went on. I was determined now to stick to the booklet regulations. A smile appeared on his face just before he went onto the train.

"May I ask, what is your name?" He requests.
"Elizabeth." I give my floor name, Leilah is a worker name and shouldn't be revealed to the well-offs. They would very much judge you otherwise. "And yours?" I ask, which was slightly cheeky, but I genuinely wanted to know the name of this curious well-off.

"Edward. Elizabeth, you have something on your face." He states and climbed aboard. The porter behind caught up and once he saw me, pulled a face of pure shock.

"Soot! Everywhere!" He exclaimed. I turn to the reflective carriage window, seeing Edward walk past the corridor to his carriage, and my reflection, with soot smudged all around my nose and mouth!