Status: in progress.

Good Love

prologue.

She was frantic. She was desperate. And she was tired; very, very tired.

After ending the phone call with her brother, Annie packed her bags hurriedly, throwing every article of clothing she could find into her large suitcases. She tried not to notice the purple and blue bruises under her eyes when she passed her elegant bathroom mirror, but failed. She prayed to God that they’d be gone by the time she saw brother, Jared, even though Annie didn’t really believe in God anymore; she knew the bruises would still be there.

She stripped her room of everything she could not possibly live without -including the large sum of money she’d kept hidden under a loose floorboard and the ancient St. Christopher brass pendant necklace that’d been passed down from her grandfather. It was oval shaped and read “Saint Christopher Protect Us”. If only Annie had worn it all these years like Grandpa told her to.

Choking back a scream, she put the pendant around her neck; it lay on her chest now, where it would forever stay. She shoved the other items into her last bag, taking one last look at the apartment she’d lived in with her aunt. The only sound was the heater kicking on, rustling the blinds of the window. She peered out of it, trying to etch the view of the city covered in snow into her mind. Annie felt bad leaving without telling her aunt where she was going, but after what happened, was she really expecting her to stay?

On second thought, she wrote her aunt a note and left it pinned to the refrigerator. Slinging the bags over her shoulder, she hailed a taxi and didn’t bother looking back as he drove away.

When she arrived at the airport, she threw a bill at the cabbie, not bothering to collect her change. She was leaving Chicago, the place that had been her home for years.

As the plane took off -headed for Phoenix, Arizona- she saw absolutely nothing but the soft, bleak white snow falling; this city no longer existed to her.

Annie was leaving it, and she never wanted to return.
♠ ♠ ♠
welcome readers :3 I'm doing this in honor of The Good Love -if you're familiar with that.

featuring John O'Callaghan of The Maine. this is a prologue and I won't be posting the chapters for a while (unless people comment telling me to..which won't happen). But I do have big things planned for this story. It's going to be a little dark.