Rich

Prologue

"…no no, I'm sure he'll like her…" Jacob caught a snatch of his mother's conversation as he came in the front door, calling out his presence.

Cupping her hand over the mouthpiece, she whispered 'just a minute' before returning to her conversation. "Oh no, he's just home."

He couldn't contain his smile as he walked into the parlor, draping his jacket over the back of the chair. He whistled, dropping onto one of the couches and turned on the television.

After a long while, his mother came into the parlor and sat in the chair beside him. It was silent for a minute or two before she spoke.

"Sooo," she began, leaning over to look at him. "I spoke with the Bache's, and they're interested in introducing you to their daughter." Jacob nodded, once, twice, not really paying that much attention. "Sure, I'll meet her." His mother smiled, murmuring a 'good' before leaning back in her seat.

------------------------------------------ - -
"I'm choking," Elizabeth whined as her mother did up her dress. It was a new take on an old-fashioned corset thing, simplistic, but obviously meant to be provocative. She didn't feel the need to be provocative. If the boy wanted to marry her then they would 'court' and maybe he would propose. She doubted it though, she was a thoroughly unattractive girl.

Her mother sighed and rolled her eyes but didn't stop tying up the corset. "You can't be choking," she said in a soothing, motherly voice. "there's nothing around your neck."

"I'll say," she replied, turning her shoulders so she could see i in the mirror. The dress was a dark purple and dipped dangerously low over her cleavage, leaving not very much to the imagination.

"Hush," her mother said, straightening her shoulders out and tying off the back of the dress. "And for the finishing touch…" she murmured to herself, picking up a small jewelry box and opening it to take out a necklace of their family crest, a dragon. She finished clasping in around her daughters neck and took a half step back to look at her. "You look so beautiful," she sighed happily.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, turning around and taking her mothers hands. "I'm not getting married mother, I meeting a boy. And you're going to be there the whole time." Her mother gave her a slight look before slipping her hands free. "You might. You might get married." Rolling her eyes once more, the younger girl took her mothers hand and led her out of her bedroom.

"I highly, highly doubt it."