Touch

.06

Nikki was extremely lightheaded by the time the two made it back to the bus. Tommy let him lean against the outside wall, but kept an eye on him to make sure he didn't tip over. Vince came out of the bus suddenly, buckling his jeans as he stretched, a wide grin on his face. His smile fell, however, as soon as he saw Nikki's pale face.

“Dude,” Vince said, “what happened to you?”

“I found him knocked out in the hall. He's hungover as fuck.”

“Yeah, I know. He busted in on me and uh... Julie? earlier when we were first getting it on.” Vince winked at Tommy.

“I need a cigarette,” Nikki groaned, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

“Yeah, I'll get you one,” Tommy said, patting Vince's shoulder as he disappeared inside, re-emerging a few seconds later with a pack in one hand a lighter in the other.

Tommy lit one for Nikki and handed it off, watching him take a drag, then turned to Vince.

“Listen, I was actually gonna try and catch up with the rest of them idiots to help find Mick. Will your girl be okay long enough for you to keep an eye on him?” He flicked his thumb over towards Nikki.

Vince nodded as he took the cigarettes from Tommy and lit himself one, blowing out the smoke. “Yeah, she'll be out for... Oh.”

Vince looked up as the girl appeared on the stairs inside the bus, moving her shirt around for the top of her boobs to still be peaking out. He opened the door and watched as she climbed out, offering her a hand on her way down. She shook him off.

“Listen cupcake,” she said as she reached inside her tiny purse and pulled out a tube of lipstick and a compact mirror, “that was hot, but I know how you work. Besides, I heard Mick was missing.” With that, she turned towards Tommy and winked. “Maybe if I can find him, I'll get two home runs in one game.” She threw her head back and laughed, her blonde hair falling down around her shoulders. Vince frowned as Tommy bared his teeth at the bitch.

She blew a kiss at Vince and was off, making her way towards the road.

“I gotta go,” Tommy said, turning to look at Nikki one more time before heading off in the opposite direction of Jackie(?).

Vince watched him go before turning to look at Nikki, whose eyes were closed, head back against the bus and cigarette dangling between his fingers.

“Hey,” Vince started, taking a step closer. Nikki opened his eyes. “You wanna take a walk or something? Might make you feel better.”

Nikki sighed as he pressed the cigarette back to his lips, then nodded after a couple seconds, groaning. He thought he felt his brain rattling around in there.

Nikki and Vince slowly made their way around the parking lot, dodging parked cars. The silence between them was unsettling.

They pushed through the doors into the backstage and found themselves in the dressing room they had all been sharing earlier. Vince dimmed the lights as they entered and looked around. Cushions were falling off the couch Tommy had been using earlier, and makeup was discarded all over the floor by the vanity. Nikki plopped down on another couch towards the door, reaching out to Vince. Vince looked down at him for a second before realizing Nikki wanted the pack of cigarettes.

“Ah, ah, ah,” Vince said, raising an eyebrow and waggling a finger. “Now, now, Nikki, you know you can't smoke in here.”

Nikki gave out a soft laugh as he smoked, handing the cigarette over to Vince. Vince took it and stared at the floor for a second, before turning to Nikki.

“Look man,” he began, “I'm sorry about earlier okay?” Vince finished the cigarette, stubbing it out on the side table next to the couch.

Nikki felt bile rising up in his throat, and before he knew what he was doing, he turned to Vince. “It was you,” he blurted out.

Vince turned back around, eyebrows raised. “Huh?”

Nikki swallowed the lump in his throat. “It was you, Vince.” He felt his voice getting tinier by the syllable. “This morning... I was thinking... about you.” Nikki's throat got extremely tight.

Vince opened his mouth, then closed it, and kept repeating this movement. “What?” he asked breathlessly.

Before Nikki could stop himself, he was sitting on his knees directly in front of Vince, reaching out and cupping his cheek. Vince leaned into the touch, closing his eyes. “Nikki...” Vince began.

“Please,” Nikki whispered, pleading.

Vince opened his eyes and stood up, heading for the door. He paused and turned back towards Nikki. “Coming?”

Nikki smiled and quickly walked over to the couch Tommy had been fucking on earlier. He leaned down and swiped something up, before turning and looking at Vince. “Yeah.”