Status: Slowly Active

Not So Secret Conquest

Conversations of the Past

Immediately after arriving she let go of my hand, went into the hut and came out with a basket of feed. She walked to the chickens and threw feed in front of their feet.

”Come over here.” I turned my attention from the chickens to her. She was not much of a strict woman so her stern voice startled me.

“Peirithous what did you think you were doing? You are causing unnecessary trouble. The village won’t take it for much longer.”
Annoyance over took me. It was their fault I was forced to steal from them. I gritted my teeth.
“Why do you care what they think? What have they ever done for us? Making us move from our home, leaving us with hardly any livestock, and refusing to buy from us? They treat us like bugs under their shoe. I don’t care if they won’t stand for it. They brought everything onto themselves, they deserve everything they get.”

Hadiee looked at me in pity.“I know you feel mad at them but they are just afraid and upset, humans will always fear things they do not understand. It does not help that you give them a reason to think ill of you.” I looked up at her confused.
“But what would it change if I stopped? It wouldn’t change how they look at us, and you know it too. They will never stop at making our lives miserable.”
She set the basket down and kneeled in front of me. As she gripped my shoulders she looked into my eyes.
“Only you can change what people think of you, by doing what is right and showing them that they are wrong. It’ll take time but someday they will realize their misdeeds.”
I thought hard on this and doubted it. These hard headed villagers may never grow brains and realize that they were wrong. Although it never hurt to try to show them I wasn’t what they assumed.
Hadiee smiled at me and stood up as she grabbed her basket. “Now why did you steal from that man?”
I bit my lip as I looked at her growing stomach. “I overheard some ladies in town talking about how pregnant women needed more nutrients for the baby to grow.”
I pulled my sack off my back and opened it to show her the bread and apples. Her face fell as her hand dropped to her stomach.
“You shouldn’t worry about anything like that. That’s what I’m here for, to take care of you and soon the baby too.”
"No I'm going to take care of both of you. Just you wait and see, I can do it. Uncle told me to and I won't break my promise."
Sadness swept over her eyes. "Your uncle would be proud but he would want you to be a child for as long as you could before it's too late."
The saddness was quickly smoldered and she smiled down at me and pushed me forward. “Now, you should enjoy your childhood, don’t start growing gray hair on me. Now go on and play.”