Status: sorry for lack of updates;; having writer's block

Like Lovers Do

; chapter eight

Black Betty was a colored woman, hence where she got her name.

She was eighteen, the same age as Dave, and she was beautiful. When she was younger, her mama always told her to treat people nicely, no matter who it was or what they did. She was told to be a woman of faith, to go to church every Sunday morning, and to grow up being a respectful African American woman. To save her innocence for her husband and her husband alone.

She broke that rule and the universe decided to make her pay.

"Oh my God, oh my God," Betty started hyperventilating, shaking her hands as if she could shake the disgusting feeling away. "Oh my God," she repeated again, rushing to dress herself.

He came out of the bathroom, a pained expression marking his face. She turned towards him, confusion written all over her beautiful face. "What?" she asked. He refused to meet her eyes, hands clutching his cellphone. "What d-did you do?" her voice cracked.

"I-I had to..."

"You told her?!" the African American woman screeched. He flinched as she rushed to him and gripped his arms for dear life. If she hadn't, she would crumble into a weeping pile. "Ryan, they'll kill me!"

"I didn't tell her your name," he muttered, shaking her off, disgusted with himself and her, and not wanting to touch her anymore than he already had. Tears began flooding her eyes as she released him of her death grip.

"That doesn't make a difference!" she screamed, hands digging into her scalp and pulling at her messy hair. "Why didn't you tell me you were engaged? Did you not think it would affect me or you?!"

"Betty, calm down! She won't find out, trust me!" he reciprocated. She whipped towards him, mad driven and eyes glaring from fury. She was beyond mad and he just kept making it worse.

"Trust you? I did before and look where it got me!" she pointed a finger accusingly, reaching to grab anything of his to throw at him. She settled for a pillow which he effectively blocked. "Ryan, do you have any idea what it feels like to be one of the few black people in school? Do you even know what it feels like to be black? I am scum to you people, all because of the color of my skin!" she screamed, hazel eyes brimming with saltine tears she loathed so much.

Black Betty was colored. She was a chocolate colored girl and because of that, she was looked down upon. The only person who did not judge her was her mama, who told her to look up, even during the most horrid of situations.

She could not meet the sky, for she could feel judgement pass upon her as she fled.
♠ ♠ ♠
so this was the surprise character c: the next few chapters, I'll be focusing on Marie and Anderson. Possibly even Guinevere too (x

And omg, thanks soso much for the 22 subs, 21 comments and 13 recs! :D You have no idea how much I appreciate you guys!

Thanks for commenting: domi823, Chance434, Ayame, ladybird., XXXataktoulaXXX, losing control., Ned Flanders, and FixTheBrokenPieces (:

Thank youuu~

Please don't be a silent reader! c: