Forever Isnt Too Far Away

Strength Of The World

After Matt cooked her a great breakfast, they sat down together on the back porch and began to talk about ... well, everything. Matt got to know a little more about her, like her relationship with her mother and future step-father, the once thriving relationship with her dad before he passed away with cancer. Matt gave sparse details about his life before he was Alpha, not wanting to let Blair really know how this position of power came to him. It was nearing dinner time when Blair told him she needed to go home to at least tell her mom she was alright.

"You have a cell phone, you can call her."

Matt said from his spot in front of the stove. He was cooking a huge meal; sausages, mashed garlic and cheese potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, and ribs. He could practically feel Blair drooling. She still sat at the table in his shirt.

"Do you think she'd answer?"

Matt shrugged.

"That smells so good."

Blair whispered, which made Matt laugh. It was great to be able just to laugh and be ... well, be relatively normal for a change. He didn't feel stressed out or angry around Blair. In face he felt more of the opposite; relaxed and happy. He continued making dinner, when a crash from her bedroom startled them both. Blair got up fast but Matt was out of the kitchen faster, leaping over the counter to rush up the stairs. The seventeen year old rushed after him.

"Matt?"

"Stay there, Blair!"

His tone was powerful and demanding, which Blair knew was only him trying to keep her safe.

She didn't listen.

As she vaulted up the stairs, another crash and the similar snarling to the ones she heard two nights ago made her rip the door to the guest room open.

Matt seemed to be inbetween change. His teeth were certainly longer as was his face (y'know, it was shaped like a muzzle but wasn't furry?) and his nails were dark, long and curved into deadly claws. He seemed taller too. His eyes were no longer green, but almost black. Blair gasped; he was actually pretty damn scary!

The person Matt was fighting turned his head towards Blair, then back at Matt, who seemed to realize Blair was there. Unlike the Alpha, the person was just that; a person. Matt was taking deep breaths, and as he did so, his nails reversed and his teeth shrank. Blair shivered; she could hear bones cracking to return to normal.

"Get out. Now."

Matt snarled at the man, who dropped whatever he was clutching protectively to his chest and darted out of the room, bumping past Blair as he hightailed it out of the house. The front door open and slammed. Matt stared at the space where the man had been, and as he stood there the rest of his body seemed to change, revert back to normal. Blair stepped in timidly, reaching to touch Matt's hand.

"Matt?"

Her voice wasn't above a whisper. When her fingers touched Matt's hand, he opened his closed fists and took her hand in his.

"It's not safe here for you, Blair. This is the second attack in less than a week. I have to assume you're the target."

His voice was strained, like he didn't want to say the things he was saying. Blair couldn't move.

"You have to go home, Blair. Go home, or stay at a friend's place. You can't stay here. I don't know if I can protect you."

"You'll do a better job than my mom will, Matt. I don't have any friends who would want to put up with me,"

Blair knew she was beginning to ramble, she could feel it in her system. Since being nipped two days ago and since being in closer contact with Matt in almost every single way, knowing that she was being sent away was inwardly killing her. Matt squeezed her hand.

That was when she realized it was killing him too.

"I can't protect you, Blair. You'll be safer away from me."

"No I won't! Matt please don't do this,"

"I'll drive you home after dinner."

His words were choked out. He let go of her hand and walked past her into his own room. Shutting the door on the watery eyed teenager, Matt sunk to the floor, silent sobs beginning to wrack his body.