Forever Isnt Too Far Away

Turn The Other Way

"Dude! Dude, you've slept past twelve again! Get the fuck up 'fore Syn gets word."

Matt tossed something at the voice of Jacoby, hearing his pack mate chuckle. Matt was sleeping in again. Last night had been killer, and this morning - or this afternoon - wasn't getting any easier. He groaned as his back screamed in refusal to move, but with small steps Matt eased himself from his bed, and padded towards the bathroom.

He already knew he looked like a mess.

Matt winced once he walked into the bathroom, and glanced at himself in the mirror. Dark circles under his eyes and a split lip - where the fuck that came from... - made Matt feel a little more down on himself.

"Matt!"

"What!"

Matt roared through the closed door.

"You got shit to do! Hurry your fucking ass up!"

Matt growled at the voice of his Beta, Jimmy. Of course he had shit to do. He wasn't Alpha for nothing! Gripping the bathroom counter he stared at himself in the mirror before sighing and admitting defeat. Those circles wouldn't be there forever.

As he jogged down the stairs and onto the main level, most if not all of his pack turned to look at him. All of them except for Zacky, who seemed to be sulking.

"Z-man?"

Matt asked, moving towards the younger of the group. It wasn't really a pack; just a bunch of guys hanging around, although Matt had a hand in turning every single guy there.

Somedays he wondered if that made him gay.

"Nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Suzy Q dropped his ass."

Snickered Johnny. Matt sighed and poured the room-temperature coffee into a mug. 'Suzy Q' was actually Eve Collins, Zacky's long time girlfriend. She was human.

"Her name's Eve,"

Snarled Zacky, lifting himself from his seat slightly to snarl at Johnny. Matt slammed his flat palm against the counter top.

"Not now, you guys."

The word of the Alpha was law. Zacky settled down, and Johnny pouted at his lunch. Matt counted heads; Tobin was missing.

"Where's the roach?"

Matt sighed, as he slunk towards the table. A headache was forming right behind his eyes. Syn shrugged.

"Dunno. Had to drop someone off somewhere."

Matt nodded. He was tired. Being the alpha was just another word for glorified babysitter. Jimmy slid in beside him with a grin on his face.

"When are we gonna get g-"

"No."

Matt snapped. He knew what Jimmy was going to ask, and he should have already known the answer. Jimmy frowned, and moved back into the living room.

"No?"

"No girls. Not yet."

Syn chuckled darkly.

"Why? Because you're still sore over loosing Cass-"

Just at the implication of her name had Matt soaring over the table and at Syn's throat, snarling. Syn in returned hissed and snarled at his alpha, his already dark eyes black with the energy and anger. Matt's eyes were the same.

"Guys! Guys, chill!"

Zacky and Johnny were yelling at the two, and only Jimmy had the balls to attempt to get between them. Jimmy wrenched Matt away from Syn.

"Stop getting butt-hurt over your dead sister, Matt! She's not coming back!"

Syn hollered behind Jimmy's arm, while Zacky and Jacoby held an angry Matt back.

"She died and you tried to save her! Get over it!"

Matt roared wordlessly at Syn, tearing himself from his packmates and storming for the main hallway. Shoving his feet into his checkered vans, Matt threw the door open after grabbing his keys, and walked out of the house, heading for the car.

When his little sister Cassie died almost two years ago, it changed Matt. He refused to let the boys bring their girlfriends into the pack, or turn them, and he in turn refused to let another woman enter his life, and somehow be hurt by it. What he was, was dangerous. Who he was, was dangerous.

Getting into his car, Matt rested his head against the steering wheel. He hated going nuts on his guys, but lately that was all he was. Irritable and angry.

Throwing the car into ignition, he screamed out of the driveway and onto the road, deciding a trip to see Cassie wouldn't hurt.