Forever Isnt Too Far Away

Critical Acclaim

Matt went to work the following weeks, working on telling Blair everything he knew about the change and how it worked. He only had a month to catch her up on everything Werewolf 101, and for a few days he had worried it wouldn't be enough time. Thankfully though, she seemed to get most of it, and most of her questions could be answered easily.

By the end of most days he was tired and fell asleep instantly when his head touched the pillow. Jacoby and Tobin took over training; Blair's body also had to be strong enough to withstand the change. Through a series of learning new tricks and generally how to be faster, Blair was beginning to see how all the boys - even Sasha and Eve - were looking extremely fit. Blair gave 100% in these 'workouts'; should she not be strong enough psychically, it could seriously hurt her.

"My back hurts so much,"

Blair was complaining, curled up on the couch as Syn traced intricate designs on her leg with a washable marker. Matt had left for the day, going to do who knows what. Jacoby had seriously put her through the ringer the day before, and that morning with yoga-inspired stretches and agility training. She was being conditioned, he said, so when she gets the bite and the change happens, it wont break every bone in her body. Since saying 'yes' to Matt, Blair's internal happiness was giving way to anxiety and fear.

"They're doing this 'cos they want you to be strong."

Syn said softly. Blair nodded, closing her eyes. Matt had talked about how once she's been bitten, on the next full moon they would all change together and go running, but after her first change, she could will it to happen whenever.

"I know. I'm just.. did you guys have to go through this?"

Syn rolled his strong shoulders.

"I did. Jimmy didn't. Jimmy's wiry and agile, so that makes up for his lack of strength, although since then he's really gotten bulkier."

Blair listened to Syn explain how different people needed different things, like how his girlfriend Sasha needed to learn how to control her anger, because that could spark a change as well. Blair giggled, thinking of Sasha losing her head in an argument at a bar and wolfing out.

Since unofficially moving in with Matt, Blair had met the rest of the 'pack'. She and Syn formed a really close bond in a matter of hours, often wrestling and chasing each other around the house. Blair was close with the other packmates as well, although she and Zacky weren't always on the best of terms regarding if she was 'old enough' to be a werewolf or not. She and his girlfriend Eve were alright, but Sasha - Syn's girlfriend - wasn't impressed with Blair, and often told her she wasn't going to make a good werewolf.

Blair didn't see the point in arguing, but she didn't allow Sasha the satisfaction of knowing she was hurt by her words.

Syn eased himself up onto the couch, drawing Blair's legs over his lap so he could continue to draw. The design was tribal in style, and as he drew, the mark got bigger and bigger, taking up most of Blair's lower leg. He made sure not to go too far up in case Matt thought he was trying to get what was his. Blair opened her eyes, staring out the living room window. He glanced over at her and frowned slightly; she had that look in her eyes, the faraway look that meant something wasn't settling in her mind.

"What are you thinking about, Blair?"

Syn asked her, rubbing her ankle encouragingly. She shrugged lightly, not really wanting to tell him that his girlfriend was a bitch.

"I'm just worried I wont be good enough."

Blair spoke, hesitating. Syn paused to look at her, resting his hand on her ankle.

"Good enough?"

"Everyone has such a high expectation for me, and.... well, I dunno if I can reach it."

Syn knew these words. It was the same thing he had said to Matt when his mom and dad kicked him out after dropping out of school. Dropping out had been an action of anger, and he regretted dropping out the minute he pulled his records from the school. When he went to Matt and confessed how he felt about the whole thing, Syn felt like everything he did was wrong, or wasn't good enough. He gave Blair's ankle a reassuring squeeze.

"You'll be fine. No one's a 'great' werewolf, Blair. We take what we have, we work on it, and sometimes - if we're lucky - we learn that we got something better than anyone could have imagined."

Blair looked at Syn questioningly, who smiled gently at her.

"We got a family who'll never turn their back on us, who'll support us no matter what happens. We got a life long bond with our pack and that'll never change."

Touched by his words, Blair smiled and rested her head on the pillow of the couch. Syn watched her for a few moments, before he returned to drawing on her leg, happy he had switched her mind path. In a few moments she was asleep, tired from the training and from the whirlwind her life had become in the last two weeks. Syn finished the design on her leg, wormed his way out from under her legs, and left her in peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
filler chapter ftw?
/squishes all of you ilu guys!