Forever Isnt Too Far Away

Gunslinger

Day three of Blair missing. Day fucking three. Matt hadn't slept at all. Big black bags under his eyes showed that much, and his intense rage whenever anyone questioned him or even spoke to him made him a rather lonely figure, only stoking his anger and pushing him closer and closer to an edge that he might not survive from. Matt had been asleep when she was kidnapped. Asleep! How could he have let her go like that? How could he have gotten so comfortable with his life?

"Matt?"

Came a voice. Matt whirled around, his eyes glowing with both exhaustion and emotions. Literally no sleep the last 74 or so hours, he was running purely on anger and adrenaline.

"Unless you've got something about Blair, you better fucking turn the hell around and-"

Matt whispered hoarsely.

"You're going to pass out if you don't sleep. You can't stay up all the time, you're going to force a change and then what? Go running in the middle of the fucking day and expose us all?"

Syn snarled at Matt. Jimmy had tried to speak to the Alpha, but he had only gotten a punch to the gut and a few selected words. Syn had been one of the few to step up to Matt in the past, and he hoped it would work again. Matt snarled wordlessly and turned, facing the counter. He was trembling from sheer exhaustion, and if he spent anymore time awake, he knew he'd force a change, something he couldn't risk. Matt turned and faced Syn, who was now backed by Jimmy and Jacoby.

"Dude, we miss her too, but we... we've tried everything."

Matt slammed his hands on the counter, a familiar sign of him losing whatever patience he had.

"No we haven't! We haven't searched everywhere, and we haven't-"

Matt was cut off once again.

"Haven't what? Gone out there ourselves? Brought friends from other packs to help? Ran after her own scent? Matt we've done everything we can!"

Jacoby shouted. Matt growled, closing his eyes. He knew they were right, but his heart wouldn't let them admit defeat like this. He clenched his hands into fists.

"We have to keep looking. We can't let her go."

"We'll keep looking. You have to take a break. You're going to change and expose us. You go and sleep, we'll keep looking for Blair. I promise, if we even get a fresh scent off of her, we'll wake you up."

Matt sighed, defeat obvious in his body language. He had to think of the pack first; as long as Blair was still human, she didn't take center stage like they did. He wasn't going to let this fall apart, not yet. He nodded mutely and headed towards his bedroom, the room he had been avoiding since Blair had been taken. Matt hesitated before he went in, scared that he would see a corpse there. His fear of losing the only one he loved had come to him, but now he needed the rest.

Opening the door slowly, Matt stepped in. Her smell overwhelmed him, and he felt his heart tear itself apart. Falling onto his bed, he gathered the blankets and sheets to him and held them close. After nearly 78 hours awake, Matt passed out smelling Blair's sweet sweet scent.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&


When he woke up, it was dark outside. Matt felt sluggish from sleeping, but that was soon shrugged off as he headed into the shower. He knew Blair was still alive. That much he knew. Where she was, and if she could survive much longer was a whole other question. He rubbed his face as the water pounded relentlessly on his back.

All he wanted was Blair. He had her for so long, and he slipped into a comfortable state with her. Too comfortable. So comfortable he had slept through a kidnapping within his own home.

He was going to start locking his doors for now on. Only pack members would get keys. Immediately, Matt's mind began to whirl with ideas and plans and new rules. He knew this would change everything and he also knew that with all of these changes, his pack might not be a pack at the end of the week. He shut the water off and stepped out, drying off to get changed.

The Alpha left the room and headed down to the kitchen, where Jimmy was asleep at the table. Matt smiled weakly. Jimmy would always be there for him, but would this be the last time? Jimmy awoke to the scent of his best friend, lifting his head sleepily.

"Matty boy?"

"What's good, Jimmy."

"I was wondering when you'd be awake. There's no sign of Blair."

Matt's heart clenched at the words.

"How long was I out for?"

He got out softly, taking a seat beside his Beta. Jimmy yawned, stretching.

"Two days."

"Two days!?"

"Yeah. While you were napping I got Zeke from Port Wayne to check his area for her, and he came up with nothing. We tried to get Troy to help us but he's been shady anyways so-"

Matt rubbed his eyes. Troy Cooper's father had been pack allies with Matt's, but once he died only two years ago, the relationship between Troy's pack and Matt's began to falter and shift. Troy was becoming a pain in his ass, and knowing that Troy wasn't helping only made Matt angry.

"Tell him I want to talk to him tomorrow night. If he doesn't get his pass and his Beta's ass here before 9pm, I'm going over there myself to kill him."