Forever Isnt Too Far Away

To End The Rapture

"....Mom's getting married again, Daddy. She's getting married to that thick-head Dennis."

A girl was laying down beside a grave, her eyes closed and her thoughts and talk uncensored. No one visited the dead any more. Blair Peters was talking to her dead father. He died around two years ago to cancer, leaving a young daughter and an equally young widow. Where Blair felt tied down to the memory and the advice of her long-gone father, her mother had moved on, and quickly, finding love in the bed of Dennis Brigs, a firefighter.

"Sure he's nice and stuff to me, but... Daddy he's so stupid. He can't figure out anything for himself. I'm surprised Mom puts up with him. You know how irritated she gets with me for the simplest of things, like putting my shoes away, or leaving my backpack in the hallway."

Blair sighed, twisting a strand of hair around her finger. She didn't hear the cemetery gates open or close. Blair had long dark hair, dip-dyed a bright orange at the bottom. She was average without make up, something she thought she lucked out in, considering her own mother was just average with make up on. She was focused on her thoughts, wondering if her dad could really hear her.

She was so focused in fact she didn't see the tall man standing a yard or so away from her.

Matt was stunned. Her scent was not only delicious, but alluring. So alluring he wanted nothing more than to sweep her away.

Was this the scent his father had warned him about?

He couldn't move. He was plastered to his spot as he continued to softly sniff the air, the scent of vanilla and ... apples crossing his features. It was his two favorite smells, the two smells his father had told him to be careful for.

The man was gone. Dead and gone nearly ten years now. But his words were ringing true now, and it was a shattering and scary realization.

Matt shook his head, clearing his thoughts. He was here to see Cassie, not to drool over a girl he had never seen before.

He stomped a few yards to the left, towards a shaded area of the cemetery. Cassie had died trying to save her brother. A werewolf; she had been stabbed in the stomach was a knife drenched in Wolfsbane, and as Matt was literally tearing the attack in half, she had failed to pull the poisoned knife from her stomach, and died before Matt could save her.

"Hey, Cass."

Matt whispered, standing in front of an impressive tombstone. Could you say that? Impressive? What did it mean to have a large and 'impressive' tombstone if the person buried beneath it would never see it? Matt dropped to his knees, head bowed in front of the tombstone he himself had picked. It was pretty big, coming up to his hip in height.

'Cassandra Rae Shadows
February 13th 1994 - June 25th 2010
Loving Daughter, Unforgettable Sister.
To live among wolves, you have to act like a wolf.'

"I'm so sorry,"

Matt whispered, not about to raise his voice should someone hear him.

"It was my fault. I wasn't looking out for you like I promised. I let you down, Cassie. I'm sorry."

Matt felt the edges of his vision go blurry. He hadn't seen his sister since putting her in the ground nearly two years ago. All thoughts of that strange girl was gone.

Until he smelt her again.

He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand, taking a few deep breaths.

"Oh! I'm s-sorry, I .... I was just going home, and I heard you t-talking, and ... I'm sorry."

She was right there. Matt stood up slowly and turned to her, and felt like a hammer had been taken to his ribcage.

She was more than pretty, she was beautiful. Her warm amber eyes and the way her hair fell over her shoulders, who ever this girl was, Matt felt the stirrings of a connection begin to bond.

"Uh. It's okay, really."

Matt replied awkwardly. Blair nodded, bit the corner of her lip, and then looked at the headstone.

"Is that ... someone you know?"

He nodded slowly.

"My sister."

Blair stared at the headstone. Wow. She had only passed away two years ago. Just like her dad.

"That sucks."

Again, Matt nodded. The two of them stared at the ground, as the awkwardness built between them. It was Blair who broke the silence.

"Well. Uh. It was ... nice to meet you? I'm sorry for walking in on you... walking... up on you... I didn't mean to.."

"It's fine."

Matt interrupted her. Blair smiled gingerly.

"Okay. I'm uh. Going to go."

Matt nodded again, as Blair turned and began to walk away. He could practically feel her blushing.

"I'm Blair by the way."

She spluttered suddenly, turning around to face the man. Matt allowed a small smile to cross his lips.

"I'm Matt."

"It's nice to meet you."

"You too."

With that, Blair turned the corner and headed for the cemetery. Matt turned back to his sister's grave, smiled a little more, before closing his eyes.

She smelt like caramelized apples and sweet vanilla.