Forever Isnt Too Far Away

Forgotten Faces

"To Jerry and his future litter, may he continue to fuck that human until she produces a real pup!"

Syn roared, smashing his bottle of beer against Matt's in cheerful celebration as loud and infectious laughter followed the statement. Jerry's wife had announced that night she was having twins; the ultrasound had produced more than two heart beats - there had been three. Matt knew that there was a chance one or both of Jerry's children could have the gene, or there was a stark chance that they would be too human, and would have to be victim to the bite.

Those human thoughts brought Matt to his own thoughts.

If he had children... would he have to turn them?

If he ever got around to Blair... would she accept the turn?

"Matt! Matt, as Alpha you're supposed to say something."

Jacoby had drawled, grinning rather wolfishly at his Alpha. Startled out of his thoughts, Matt shook his head and got to his feet, clearing his throat. Locating Jerry, he allowed a smile to cross his features as the thought of his possible mate slid off the table for the time being.

"To Jerry and Rachelle, to both my pack mate, my friend, and to my den sister. May Sköll and Fenrir grace themselves to you, and your future litter. I swear on my word to protect those in your family, from now until the day I join Hati."

The solemn but true words rang in the large room, and everyone lifted their glasses, including Rachelle. Jerry almost had tears in his eyes, the words being one of the oldest vows any wolf could make. The talking, the laughter, and the stories soon started. Matt excused himself and headed to the backyard.

It was beginning to grow hot in the days. At night the moon was out and it helped cool everything down, including Matt.

He was struggling to distance himself from Blair.

He was beginning to show signs of extreme irritability around his pack mates; he snapped at random strangers on the street. He almost locked everyone out of his house just because he wanted - no, needed - to be alone.

Taking a drink of his beer, Matt yawned, before a vibrating feeling in his pocket alerted him that someone wanted to speak to him.

Stepping away from the back door and closer to the woods edge, Matt dug his phone out of his pocket and clicked on the message.

'From: Blair
To: Matt

Hey... uhm. im really sorry if this is random but ... r u doing anything? my mom is driving me crazy, and if i stay here any longer i might start going crazy. if ur busy, dont worry.'


Matt stared at the screen, sighing. He couldn't just abandon Jerry, or this ritual. He had been avoiding Blair for the last four days. He distanced himself from her walking route, from her house, from her spot in the cemetery. He cleaned his car and washed his clothes. It had been a struggle, but Matt was finally beginning to feel normal again... well, as normal as an Alpha under extreme pressures could feel.

He was about to turn to go in when screams from the woods alerted him that something wasn't right. The screams weren't human; they tapered off from human screams to gutteral snarls and growls. It was enough to send a deep shiver through Matt's entire body.

It was Jimmy and Zacky that came rushing out, Syn, Jacoby and the rest of them trailing afterwards.

"What was that?"

Zacky asked quietly. Matt shrugged, beginning to sniff the air. The smell was tangy, bitter... familiar. His eyes widened and his shoulders stiffened.

"Werewolves. There are unknown werewolves in my forest. They're attacking someone."