Status: hiatus

My Somebody

Red-Eye Flight

“I have a doctor’s appointment at two, today.”

“Where?”

“Just my regular doctor,” Sidney shrugs. “One of the trainers said something about getting a referral for an MRI or something like that, but we’ll see.”

Athena shrugs lightly, “hopefully it’s not that bad.”

Shooting her a look out of the corner of his eye, Sidney shakes his head.

“What?”

“It probably is that bad. It feels that bad, anyway.”

Athena glances at Sidney, before moving her gaze back to the road, “a little positivity wouldn’t hurt, Sid.”

A light scoff moves from the passenger seat of the Mercedes, diffusing with the silence occupying the rest of the car.

Literally slipping her tongue in between her teeth, Athena keeps her eyes on the road as she takes the next exit off of the highway.

The silence continues to dominate the dimmed, cool interior of the vehicle.

Adjusting her hands at two and ten, Athena’s back becomes stiffer with every mile that closes in between her vehicle and the penthouse’s parking garage. Her fingers tighten around the wheel every time the only thing that has been running through her mind for the past twenty minutes shows its head again: Once we get into that apartment, I’m stuck there.

The interior of the vehicle only gets darker when Athena slowly pulls into the parking garage, past the guarded entrance. The yellow lights of the gray-walled garage do nothing to puncture the privacy tint protecting the silent couple from the distant echoing sounds of the occasional car driving by the garage.

Before she even puts the vehicle in park, Sidney’s door is open and closed.

Turning the ignition and key backward, Athena looks at the passenger seat and slowly turns to again face the gray wall facing her. She slumps down in the seat, resting her head on the steering wheel. Athena breaths heavily through her mouth, clamping her hands over her mouth when she sobs loudly.

-


Sidney looks down at his watch as the elevator beep echoes through the parking garage, having to squint to read the time on his watch. 5:40.

The beep echoes in the large private elevator, as the doors slide closed. As soon as the elevator shifts, Sidney nearly rips his fogging sunglasses off and begins to rapidly wipe at his eyes and cheeks. “Ugh,” he shakes his head as he wipes his damp hands on his jeans.

The loud, single, sniffle Sidney makes bounces off the mirrored walls of the elevator, hitting his ear drums as he hastily wipes his nose. Giving into the urge, Sidney glances up and catches his reflection – glossed eyes, donning heavy bags – before the elevator beeps again and the doors pull open.

He swallows the lump in his throat, letting his feet carry him down the empty hallway and unlocking the penthouse’s heavy door with his own set of keys.

-


Athena grunts loudly as she lifts the suitcase out of the trunk, listening to its wheels connect with the concrete. Pulling the handle up, she closes the trunk of the car and begins walking to the elevator; her purse on one arm, with keys in hand, and Sidney’s suitcase being pulled by the other.

After pressing the button to summon the elevator, Athena stares at her sandal-clad feet and counts to ten nearly six times before the familiar beep meets her ears and the door opens, revealing the empty elevator.

Dragging herself, and her baggage, into the elevator, Athena faces the closing doors as she bows her head. She bends down at her knees, slowly picking up the dark sunglasses on the elevator’s tile floor. Casually dropping the sunglasses in her large purse, Athena slowly runs her fingers over her warm, damp cheeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been busy lately. Sorry for the wait.

xoxo