Status: hiatus

My Somebody

A Little Vacation

Hey Athena. Just checking in. You've dropped off the face of the earth, apparently?

Ma belle! An update, please?

Hope everything's okay. Let us know if you need anything.

Athena set her phone down, rubbing her face vigorously with the end of the hooded sweater's sleeves. The item of clothing smelt like Sidney; something she hadn't smelt in a few days. She hadn't seen Sidney in the light of day for almost a week.

This would be Day Five of him staying in the bedroom all day, and the majority of the night.

Leaning back into the couch cushions, Athena pulls her legs to her chest and yawns loudly.

"Hey."

Athena startles, spinning around on the couch. "You're up!"

"I... I didn't mean to scare you," Sidney's voice is barely above a whisper.

She sighs, allowing her muscles to slightly relax. "You did. Pretty badly."

Sidney frowns slightly, taking a spot on the couch across from Athena.

Wrapping the blanket around herself, Athena adjusts her body so her legs are curled under her body. "Penny for your thoughts?"

"I'm getting cabin fever," Sidney's voice is unusually quiet. "This sucks."

Athena bites her lip, watching Sidney stare blankly at the far away ceiling. "I'm sorry, Sid."

He shrugs, "This isn't your fault. You tried to warn me."

She shakes her head, "I never thought this would happen..."

"Me either," he shrugs. "I just wanna play again."

Athena nods her head understandingly. "I know."

Sidney slowly picks his head up and stares at Athena, his hazel eyes glazed over.

Frowning heavily, Athena shakes her head. She blinks the tears out of her own eyes. "I'm doing everything I can to help you, Sid. I don't know what else to do."

"I need to get outta here," he says quietly.

Athena does her best to hold back the scoff that escapes her lips. "We can't just leave. Where are we supposed to go?"

"Miami. L.A. Halifax. Thunder Bay... I don't care," Sidney shakes his head, blinking his eyes rapidly. "I just... I can't stay in this town, right now, Athena."

Athena sighs, ready to attempt to be the voice of reason. "It's three in the morning. We cannot just pack suitcases and go on a road trip, or fly out of the country, or across it."

He opens his mouth to argue with her.

"Your doctor is here, Sidney. What are you gonna do if we leave? Just call them at eight in the morning and hope when you tell them you've fled town that they'll be okay with you just seeing some random veterinary school drop out at a hospital off the interstate somewhere?"

Closing his eyes, Sidney bows his head and sinks back into the couch.

Athena stands up off of the couch, and walks around the coffee table. She sinks into the couch next to Sidney and wraps her arms around his neck. "It's gonna be okay, sweetheart," she whispers into his growing out hair. "Please just believe me."

Sidney's shoulders shake after he buries his face into Athena's chest.

The young woman sighs, holding on tightly to the crying man in her arms. "You can call the doctor in the morning, Sid. If you're clear to travel, we'll go anywhere you want."

"Thank you," Sidney whispers.

-


"Hey Cheryl," Athena sighs quietly.

"What is going on?" Cheryl scoffs. "I have been worried sick about you, young lady!"

Athena smirks. "Um, Sidney's got a severe concussion. He's kind of a wreck right now, so we are going to be taking a little vacation. Hopefully that'll make him feel better."

"Wait, who has a concussion?"

"My boyfriend. Sidney Crosby," Athena bites her lip. "Yeah, boss, I told you that I would explain all of it, but... that may have to wait a little bit longer. We're about to board a plane to Canada."

"I want details. Email me or something!" Cheryl exclaims. "I feel so kept in the dark, I thought we were friends."

"We are... I have to go, I'll talk to you later." Athena ends the call and puts her phone in her purse.

Sidney rounds the corner, approaching the gate with his hands in the pockets of his hoodie.

"You okay?" Athena questions, looking up at him as he sits down next to her.

He nods, "A little nauseous. I'll be okay."

Athena smiles, putting her hand on his. Her voice is very quiet, almost too quiet to be heard over the noise around them. "I love you."

Sidney cracks a small smile. "I love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Well... I've been gone for a while. My writing is very rusty, so I apologize. Um, life has been kinda crazy (I'm married now and I've moved twice) but things are starting to calm down again, and I'm trying to get back into the swing of writing. Any feedback is appreciated, but please be gentle with me! :)

I'm so grateful to all of you who will continue to see this story to its end with me!
xoxo