Status: My First real book begins

The Hunter Rises

The Search Ends

Chapter One: The Search Ends
“I can sense you’re near Belikova,” I sniffed the crisp midnight air again. “I know you sense me too, come out from the shadows.”
Looking around in the darkness seeing shapeless figures of alley walls and the glow of city lights offered no help in unveiling the shadows. But I could hear everything, smell everything, and sense even the faintest of vibrations around me. My muscles tensed and my heart beat quickened. I flinched at every sound I heard.
My back up against a wall, I opened my mind ready to cast away. I felt as if I were being sucked into a vacuum hose and for a moment or to everything was fuzzy and pixilated as if I were watching an old untuned television. Then it all cleared up, and I was above the whole city. Seeing all the busy streets flicker with car headlights and towering light dotted buildings, I saw everyone who lived here, I saw couples exit from restaurants, the drunken men toddling out of bars, I even saw the illuminated body heat of the mice being stalked by the alley cats.
“Where is Belikova” I stressed.
My eyes flickered from street to street, I could see in the shadow of the building my physical body hid. Still and vulnerable, I know I couldn’t stay out long as I was already risking being ambushed. I skimmed the area once more and…
Morphing from the thin shadow of the street lamp was the Shape-Shifter Killer, “Belikova”

Inhaling I raced back into my slumped over body, and opened my eyes to the darkness of the alley once more. Hearing shuffling, noises I could see nothing until I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand.
“Hello Mikhail” A deep voice said, echoing in my ears.
“I see you won’t give up looking for me, too bad. I consider you my biggest fan, and I really would hate to rip my number one fan apart.” He smirked. I could feel the haze of his life form floating around, but where?
“ Don’t worry Belikova, you won’t have to, it’s you whose going to be ripped to shreds, not me.” I felt a twitch in the air that surrounded me, almost sure it was him. And from the low misty smog, Belikova appeared.
“ Really and how do you expect to kill me?” Belikova jeered. Standing in the circle of salt and holy water the Shape-Shifter was trapped.
“What the hell” He bellowed.
“Are you sure you want to kill your biggest fan now?” I taunted.
“Com’mon Novikov, you don’t have the killer instinct, you know you won’t kill me.” Belikova retorted.
“You’re right my friend, I won’t kill you”
Above us I heard the air move, and I could smell the rustic scent of silver.
Her fingers were nimble holding the arrow and bowstring.
Aleksandra was poised on the roof above us.
The whistle of the arrow whizzed by my ear and I looked to where it targeted, lodged deeply into Belikova’s chest, to be specific his heart.
“No!” Belikova shouted in menacing anger.
I watched as he yanked on the arrow, wincing as he tried pulling it out, but the wound singed like burning flesh against hot iron. But this was silver, it burned any evil creature, and this was burning him inside out, he screamed out, as his skin cracked like an earthen pot, then he shattered into dust.

Hearing a soft thud next to me, I jumped and turned to see the beautiful color changing eyes, of Aleksandra.
“Nice of you to drop in.” I smiled at her but she did not smile back. She stared at the spot where
Belikova stood, grimacing.
“Yeah, well Misha I’m glad you called, it was about time to nail the bastard.” She said haughtily. I could see the pain in her eyes as she recalled the image of her fourteen year old self witness Belikova murder her family.
“I’m glad you did.” I muttered rubbing my neck.
“Well it was nice seeing you again, but I should go.” she said, and in one wing beat she left.
She and I both knew others were out there, other killers, but it was her, who wanted them all dead. I thought to myself, she going to get killed by risking her life like that. But I also thought that her attitude was a turn on.
“Bye” I whispered, looking up at the night sky.
Shoving my hands into my pocket I hurried into the Las Vegas, night time rush, blending in with the people who had no idea what just happened… And they never would.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me how you like it and what you'd like to see happen. :D