Chocolate Eyes

15.

The headstones had been bleached white by the rain and the winter, the grass was different shades of green, and along the narrow walking path sat a large brick building that was one the church of West Monterey Cemetery. Old trees blocked the view of the outside world, it was a different place inside the canopies, the bright sun completely out of place inside a cemetery.

The congregation stood in front of a hole in the grass where the casket hung, threatening to drop. People cried and exchanged glances with the broken family. Brian, Michelle, and Evander stood behind the casket, staring at the finished wood. Brian's hand rested on his crying son's shoulder. The little boy held a bouquet of violet flowers in his little hands. He'd carried them from the car, one had clutching onto them and the other hanging onto Brian's as they passed through to the entrance of the cemetery, a large, creaky, wrought iron gate opening to let them through.

The Pastor stood at the head of the casket, looking over the mourners dressed all in black. "Let us commend Claudia to the mercy of God," he spoke solemnly, "At this time I ask the family to say their final goodbyes and lay their flowers with their loved one."

James and Holly walked forward with tears in their eyes and laid a bunch of white Carnations on top of their daughter's casket. James wrapped his arms around his broken wife and spoke proudly, "Claudia was the love of our lives," he said, "She made us proud with everything she did. She was a beautiful woman who was driven to do great things with her life. When she was born we never imagined that we'd be so blessed to have a child as wonderful as Claudia was." He took a deep breath, his eyes trained on the large picture of her that sat at the end of her casket. "We were blessed," he repeated, losing his words as tears threatened, "And, we are thankful of the twenty-eight years we had her in our life." He and Holly pressed a kiss against the tips of their fingers and pressed it against the wood of the casket.

"We love you, Sweetheart," Holly said through her tears, "We're so proud of you."

James wrapped his arms around his wife and cried with her as Jacob Taylor stepped forward, bringing his son with him. He and Crispen stared out at the people they'd become friends with. "Claudia," Jacob said softly, "Claudia was the love of my life. She was beautiful, and intelligent, and a great mother to not only Evander, but to Crispen as well. She was loving and wanted nothing more than to raise these boys to be amazing men. She was simply breath-taking every minute of her life." He took a shaky breath and smiled at his son. "I will always love her. I'll always belong whole heartedly to her."

He stepped closer to her casket and gingerly set down three red roses on top of the wood. He sucked in a deep breath and then took Crispen's hand as the child started to speak about his step-mother.

"When my real mommy left," he started, "I never thought that I'd have another one. But Claudia was better. She told me she loved me and tucked me in at night. She read books to me and EJ and woke me up for school. She made yummy breakfast and walked me to the bus with EJ. I miss her," he said softly, sniveling as he started to cry. "Claudia should've been my real mommy. She was the best mommy I ever had."

Jacob lifted his son into his arms as the little boy broke down, tears free-falling from his eyes. His sobs were the only other nose besides the silence of the cemetery and the quiet tears of those around them.

Brian crouched down and turned Evander to face him. The little boy's eyes were bloodshot from the tears that were falling. Brian wiped the salty-moisture from his cheeks and spoke, "You should tell your mommy how much you love her," he encouraged, "This is the last chance you'll get."

Behind EJ the Pastor was asking if there was anyone else who wanted to say something, everyone knew he was referring to the tearful four year old, so they stayed quiet as Brian encouraged him in a hushed tone.

"You have to give her your flowers, EJ," Brian pleaded, knowing his son would regret it in the future if he didn't take this chance to say goodbye to his mother.

"I'm scared," Evander whispered, "I'll be all alone."

Brian shook his head. "I'll stand up there with you," he promised, "But you have to talk. You have to tell your mommy that you're going to miss her and that you love her."

"I do love her," Evander cried.

"Then tell her that," Brian whispered, pulling Evander into his arms and standing up. Evander nodded as Brian spoke to the man at the head of the casket. "Evander wants to say a few words to his mom," Bri said softly.

The pastor nodded and motioned for them to go ahead. Brian stepped forward and stood very close to the casket and the picture of Claudia. He decided to introduce himself to the people who were staring at them, wondering about the secret that Claudia had kept.

"My name is Brian Haner," he started, "I met Claudia a few times, just once before she found out she was pregnant with my son. She asked me to let her have him because our lives were so different. I understood," he said softly, "Conceiving was an accident and she wanted a chance at a real love. So I agreed and signed off on EJ, although I hadn't seen him or even known his gender at the time.

"But a couple weeks ago, I got a call telling me that the mother of my son had been killed. It was an accident, but now her son was stranded without her and he needed a father, needed me. I didn't know what to do so I called my dad. He knew about the baby from so long ago and he asked me one very difficult question.

"First he asked me if I was stupid for having to even think about it, then he asked 'are you going to take away both of his parents because you're too scared to make a mistake?'.

So here I am, at the funeral of my son's mother, trying to help him work of the courage to say the things that have been running through his mind nonstop. I just want to thank Claudia for giving me a child even though it wasn't ideal." Brian ran his finger's through his son's hair and smiled sadly, seeing a few smiles back at him from the people in the crowd. "Thank you, Claudia," he said softly, touching the corner of her casket, "You've given me more than I could ever ask for."

Brian touched the ends Evander's hair and nodded, signaling that it was now his turn to say his last goodbyes to his mom. Evander started crying before he could even get a word out and that caused more people to cry, seeing Claudia's only child in such pain.

"I love my momma," Evander said, tears flowing, "And I miss my momma, and I want her to come home and sing the sleepy song when I have a nightmare." His cries overpowered his little frame and he shook with sadness. "Mommy!" he cried, burying his face in his dad's neck, "Mommy, I'm sorry."

"Put your flowers there," Brian instructed, coaxing his son out of tears, "You have to put your flowers down. She'll know that they mean eternal love."

Evander leaned out of Brian's grasp and pressed his violet flowers against her coffin, flattening the petals against the wood. He struggled to let go of them, but when he did Brian hoisted the sobbing boy higher in his arms and stepped back to his spot as the Pastor instructed the casket to be lowered. As it dropped, friends walked forward and tossed their flowers. It was a heart-wrenching act as beautiful followers dropped from the air and disappeared into the ground with the body of Claudia Kent.

Evander couldn't watch as the casket dropped. He clung to his dad and soaked his jacket with tears from his sunrise eyes. Jacob, Holly, and James used the small shovel to drop some dirt into the hole and then everyone else followed suit; their final goodbye to a woman who had affected all of their lives, sometimes in just miniscule ways.

Brian held Evander as the grave was filled completely, showing only a fresh patch of dirt without a headstone. Friends of Claudia once again made their way to the family to say their condolences, hugging each one before they moved on to the next devastated person.

A woman with hair a shade of blonde hugged Claudia's parents and Jacob Taylor. She was the first to walk over to Brian and Evander where they stood with Michelle on the other side of the grave. She was average height with a slender build and stood slightly hunched over as if not to draw attention to herself. She ran her right palm over her left arm, nervously. "I'm Olivia," she introduced, biting her lip. "I was in the same kindergarden as Claudia."

Brian held Evander with one arm and held his right out for Olivia to shake. "I'm Brian," he replied, "This is Michelle." She motioned to the blonde woman next to him.

Olivia shook both of their hands and then looked back to Brian's eyes. "I don't know why she didn't tell me about you," she whispered, as if talking to herself instead of the man standing in front of her.

Brian looked to the grass below his feet. "I don't know either. Maybe she was ashamed of what happened," he suggested, knowing it sounded reasonable. He hadn't told anyone for that exact reason.

Olivia nodded slowly, although still staring at his face. "But she would've told me that she was pregnant if it were anyone else but you."

Brian looked up to her gaze. "How come?" he asked, "Why me, specifically?"

"I don't know." She shook her head. "We told each other everything. She didn't even tell me she was pregnant until she was giving birth."

Evander had cried himself out, but he didn't look up to see who his dad was talking to. He just rested his chin on Brian's shoulder and held onto a fistful of the black jacket he was wearing, his eyes drooping as he struggled to keep himself awake.

"I'm sorry she didn't tell you," Brian consoled, "But that doesn't have anything to do with me. I was only in her life for a short period of time."

Olivia frowned and crossed her arms as James and Holly Kent called out to Brian, beckoning him to them so that they could actually sit down with their grandson. Brian held up his pointed finger, telling them to give him a minute or two.

"She wanted a child, you know," Olivia announced before he could leave, "She told me that she wanted to find a guy to settle down with her. I have no idea why she chose you if you were married, though."

"I was engaged at the time," Brian replied, trying to make himself look a little bit better than she was. "I got married before she told me though. If she wanted me to, I would've been there all along."

"Oh," Olivia mumbled, a little started by his sudden exclamation.

"Mr. Haner!" Holly Kent called again, "We have reservations, we're going to be late."

Brian frowned. "It was nice meeting you," he said to Olivia, "We have to go now." Brian took Michelle's hand and they started to walk over to the Kents, who were waiting for them on the narrow walkway.

"Brian, wait!" Olivia called, hurrying after him.

Brian turned to look over his shoulder. Evander's eyes opened slightly.

"Can I have your number?" she asked quickly, "So all of us can go out to lunch sometime," she clarified, "I'd like to get to know Claudia's son, if that's alright with you."

Brian thought about it for a moment then he finally nodded. He rambled off his phone number as she typed it into her phone. She smiled politely at him and Michelle and said she'd call to set up a lunch in the near future.

"I thought you went to school with Claudia?" Brian questioned, about ready to walk away again, "Are you living out here now?"

Olivia nodded. "I moved out here last week. Claudia had asked me to. She said she missed me. When I found out she died, I came anyways." She shook her head. "I couldn't go back on what I promised."

Brian nodded in understanding. "We'll get together," he promised. He and Michelle said goodbye before they walked to the cemetery path and followed the Kents out of the wrought iron gate and stone arch above, leaving behind Claudia's plot and Claudia's once best friend.

Holly Kent spoke as she walked them to Brian's SUV. "I hope you're not getting involved with Olivia Fender," she voiced, "That girl has always been trouble. Claudia was never allowed to hang out with her."

"She said they were friends," Michelle replied, pulling open the back door so that she could help EJ get settled in.

Holly shook her head. "In elementary school, maybe, but they haven't seen each other since they graduated high school." She watched Michelle load EJ into the car and then shut the door on him, blocking her grandson from her view.

"We'll meet you there," Brian said, his arms folded over his chest. He stared at Holly Kent as she looked over the black SUV that contained her son. "Holly?"

She looked up, stunned. "Oh, yes," she mumbled, shaking her head, "We'll meet you and Evander there."

Brian and Michelle agreed, and as they climbed into the car, Evander slightly dozing in the backseat, worn out from the crying, Michelle looked to Brian with raised eyebrows. "Seems like Claudia had more secrets than she let on. Not telling her mom about that Olivia woman."

Brian frowned and nodded his head. "Yeah," he agreed, "She certainly liked to keep her business private."