Chocolate Eyes

16.

Evander sat in his car-seat, his arms crossed over his chest as he kicked his feet back and forth, not more awake than he'd been all day. He stared at his father's face as the guitarist explained that they had to go into the restaurant they were parked in front of, and also, not only did they have to go in, but they had to meet up with his biological grandparents.

"We have to go in, Sweetheart," Michelle encouraged softly, "Your dad and I will be right there with you. You don't have to be scared."

Evander frowned.

Brian was leaning around his seat so that he could look at his son. "They're your grandparents, Ev, and you have to see them and say goodbye."

EJ shook his head. "I don't want to."

"Well, I don't want to either," Brian replied, "Trust me. I wish we could go home but we have to go and eat dinner with them so that they can see you and so that we can get some food in your stomach."

Evander stayed silent, so Brian took that as an okay and stepped out of the car. He pulled open the back door as little tears strolled down Evander's cheeks and Michelle gingerly slid out of the passenger's side, careful not to stumble on her heels. Brian cursed under his breath as EJ continued to cry, the tears falling more loosely as he was plucked from the car.

"God damn it," Brian grumbled, "I fucking told them that this was a bad idea."

Evander's arms wrapped around his dad's neck as the three of them headed into the building, Bri clicking the button on his keys that locked his car and everything inside. The little boy rested his chin on his dad's shoulder and closed his eyes, wanting nothing more than to go home and curl up in his bed so that he could be sad by himself.

The restaurant was a kind that Brian hadn't spent much time in. The people ate quietly and the waiters wore fancy uniforms. There weren't many kids in sight but the ones that Brian could see from the front were dressed to the nine's and acting years older than their looks suggested.

"What the hell are we doing here?" Brian asked his wife, shaking his head in disbelief. He couldn't understand why these people would do this to a grieving child.

Michelle rested her hand in Brian's arm and sighed softly. "It'll be okay," she promised, "It's just one night."

Brian nodded curtly and looked up to a man as he walked over to them, an iPad in his hands and his eyebrows raised. "How can I help you?" he questioned, placing a smile on his lips as he looked over the little family.

"We have a reservation," Brian spoke, "With the Kents."

The man touched something on his iPad and then nodded. "Ah, yes. Mrs. and Mr. Kent are already here. If you'll follow me I'll show you to their table." He turned around and walked around a small desk, assuming that they were following him. As they passed tables of eaters, the people glanced up at them for a mere second before diving back into their own conversations, seemingly noticing the tense air around them.

"Here you are, Mr. Haner," the waiter stated as he stopped in front of a large table where James and Holly sat side by side. He tapped a few things on the little machine in his arms and then looked up at the couple, "Let me know if you need anything before Dillon is over to help you," he instructed.

"Thank you," Brian replied as he pulled out a chair and attempted to drop his son into the seat. Brian sighed when the little boy refused to let go and sit in his chair instead of being wrapped around his dad's body. Brian lifted himself back up into place and spoke into his ear so that his grandparents couldn't hear, although they were watching. "You've got to sit down, Evander. I know you're scared, but I'm going to sit next to you."

Brian tried again to set his son down as Michelle sat in the chair on the other side. This time, Evander slipped from Brian's arms and sat on the chair. His feet were dangling as he shyly looked up at the people who had sent him presents on his birthdays.

"Evander," Holly said softly, grinning at her only grandchild, "It's so good to see you."

Brian sat down in a huff and rested his elbows on the table. "Okay," he said, stopping any further conversation, "We're here. Lets order and make this quick." It was easy to tell that he was still disturbed by the words of James Kent from the beginning of the funeral service.

James' gaze looked to the father of his grandchild. "We would like to have lunch with our grandson. A nice, relaxed meal, so please, if you're in a hurry, you can leave."

Evander's dark eyes widened and his head whipped to look at his dad. "Don't leave," he begged, reaching to grab a hold of Brian's sleeve.

Brian subtly glared at the man and soothed his son. "I'm not leaving, EJ," he promised before changing the subject, "What do you want to eat? How about a cheese burger or something?"

"This isn't a McDonalds," Holly stated to Brian before she leaned towards EJ, clasping her hands in front of her, "Would you like pasta instead?"

Evander glanced at Brian. Even though he was young, he could tell that something was going on between the two sides of his family. "I wanna go home," he whispered, stealing glances at Holly and James. "Please, Daddy. I wanna go home."

Brian groaned as Evander started to cry again. He leaned back against his chair and crossed his arms over his chest, letting Holly try and sooth the scared boy.

"Evander," she called, pressing her palms together, "I'm your grandmother. I'm your mother's mother and I would really like it if you'd stop crying and talk to us about how you're doing."

"No," Evander wailed, shaking his head, "I wanna go home with Daddy."

"Well, Evander, you have to spend time with your family," Holly replied. She reached across the table and rested her hand on top of EJ's, trying to meet his gaze.

Evander pulled his hand out from under hers. "Daddy," he cried, turning his crying eyes to look at his father like the man would take him home. The little boy didn't want to be around the woman who looked so much like his mother, he didn't want to talk about his mom. He was young and all he wanted was to go home and settle back into the life that he was starting to get used to. Today was only a constant reminder of the life that he wasn't living anymore and it hurt his little heart to sit in front of her parents and listen to them talk to him.

"Stop, Evander," James said firmly, "Look at us and talk to us. You're a big boy, you don't need Brian to hold your hand."

Brian's eyebrows raised automatically. "That's it," he stated, shaking his head, "I'm his dad. Do not refer to me as 'Brian' when you're talking to him."

James looked startled. "That's your name, isn't it?" he questioned condescendingly.

Brian sighed angrily and stood up. "We're leaving," he stated as he lifted his son from his chair, "I knew this was a bad idea and you're proving me right."

Holly became flustered as Brian and Michelle stood up, a relieved EJ clutching onto him. "We haven't even ordered yet," she rushed, "You've been here merely a half an hour. Sit down and lets eat. Please, Brian."

Brian shook his head. "You're going to be in California for awhile," he replied, "If you want to get to know EJ then you can come to my house. Call Victoria Rochotte and she'll give you my address."

James Kent stood up from the table. "Brian, be reasonable," he pleaded, "We're not going to be here for much longer. We would just like to have a nice meal with our grandson."

Brian looked at Michelle for reassurance. She grabbed his hand and squeezed his fingers. "We can go if you want," she said.

"Please, don't," Holly pleaded, "We just want to see him."

Brian shook his head. "You've seen him," he replied, "And now we're leaving. Like I said, you can come to our house and talk to him there so he'll be more comfortable." Brian sighed and touched his hair. "It's been a long day."

He turned around and headed away from his surprised grandparents. Holly Kent hurried to stand up and chase after them, only to be stopped by her husband, who was silently shaking his head. Brian didn't look back as he and his family walked off, But Evander's eyes stared at his grandparents as he clutched his dad, his chin resting on his broad shoulder.

His grandma watched him go and the little boy watched her right back until Brian turned a corner and left them behind, sitting at that table with their menus still in front of them. EJ was relieved and once he was climbing into his car-seat, he let himself fall asleep, listening to the sounds of the second DVD Michelle had put in and forgetting about the day behind him. It was over. Now he could relax. Now he could stop worrying and fall asleep.

Evander slept the entire way home and was still out when Brian pulled into the driveway of their house. He turned off the car and dropped his hands to his lap. He groaned and then smacked his hands against the wheel. "How could he come from that?" he asked begrudgingly, "How could Social Services expect him to have people like that in his life?"

Michelle didn't know how to reply to her husband's difficult question, so she rested her slim fingers in his forearm and said, "They're his family, too. They only want what's left of their daughter, Bri." She had always been the reasonable one, something that Brian loved about her. She kept him level headed.

But this time, he merely shook his head and unfastened his seatbelt. He grabbed his keys from the ignition and shoved them into his pocket as he pushed the door open and slipped down. He yanked open the back door and stood on the step of the car so that he could reached into it and unbuckle EJ.

The little boy didn't wake up as Brian lifted him into his arms, EJ's head lolling on Brian's shoulder. Michelle followed them and unlocked the door. Brian headed straight upstairs and to the first door on the right. He sat on the edge of EJ's bed and carefully slid the boy onto the mattress. Bri took the child's shoes off and then attempted to pull his jacket off. Evander hardly woke as his arms were pulled from the sleeves of the jacket. He laid back down when Brian gently pushed his shoulders. He pulled the comforter out from under his son and covered him up, watched as the child rolled over on his side, his round cheek pressing against the large pillow.

The guitarist stared at his son, taking in his tangled hair and warmed cheeks. He watched his son's mouth open as he yawned, and then close again, his little teeth clanking together. He pushed EJ's bangs off of his forehead and kissed the center before letting the thick strands fall back into place.

It wasn't late, and Evander hadn't eaten since breakfast, but Brian let him sleep, knowing that the child needed time to himself. Time not to think about anything besides whatever dreams were coming to him now. Brian left the bedroom and shut the door behind him. He took to the stairs and hooked a right. In the basement, he walked to the family room and dropped down on the leather couch, happy, more than ever, to be in his own home with his son asleep upstairs.

Holly and James Kent would be making arrangements to get custody of EJ, he knew that, but he didn't bother to worry about the events that were encroaching. He just settled onto the couch and put in a movie, knowing that Michelle would be down soon to watch it with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Has anyone else heard about avengedsevenfoldfanfiction.com ?
I just got a message about it... I think it's kind of dumb. I don't want to be on a website for only A7X. I'm kind of thinking that this is Mibba's way of making "Mibba" just an original story website. Why else would they create specific sects?

What do you think about it?