Taste This Breath.

About a boy & a girl trying to take on the world

Image


The rays of sunshine crept through the curtains slowly and steadily. My eyelids opened hesitantly.
I was sprawled all over my bed and the blankets were a complete mess and so was I. The clock read seven in the morning and I groaned loudly. Dragging myself out of bed my head pounded in agony. Reaching for the bottle of headache pills on the t.v. by my bed I looked at the date on my clock. It read August 28, and then my eyes flickered over to my calender hanging on my closet door. August 28 was circled in red and in big block letters it read SCHOOL

"fuck" was all I could mutter as I jumped out of bed. This was the best way to start off my first day of high school wasn't it? I rummaged through my closet and was able to pick out some clothes. I decided to wear a Doctor Who shirt and some regular black skinnys. I slipped my TOMS on and I kissed my cross necklace and I slipped it onto my neck.

I was thankful my hair was short so all I had to do was wet it and apply product and spike it a bit.
I quickly washed my face and applied thick black eyeliner onto my top eyelid. Looking into the mirror I realized what I was missing, it was my plugs for my ears. I grabbed my silicone black 00 size tunnels and put them on.

Mom was still asleep and I didn't want to wake her, she didn't get much rest.
I knew she would at least want a picture of me on my first day of school so as I grabbed my checkered backpack I also grabbed my Nikon camera. I guess I would just be weird and ask someone to take a picture of me. I slipped out the backdoor quietly and began my walk to the school. It wasn't far away, just about a 10 minute walk so at least I didn't have to worry about being late.

As I walked towards the school I passed my Junior High. It made me quite a bit sad that I would never walk through those doors as a student again, time had passed so fast. I reached the high school and my heart was pounding out of my chest. There were so many students outside, I knew most of them but I felt so puny. I entered the front doors and asked the secretary in the office for my schedule and while she flipped through the files someone came and stood beside me.

Instinctively I looked up to see who it was and I was caught of guard.
It was a tall boy, probably a Junior or a Senior. He had short blonde hair and dark blue eyes.
Although I had only glanced for a mere second he noticed.
Right then the secretary handed me my schedule and I turned to leave the office but before I reached the door I heard a voice.
"Hey, what's your name?"
I slowly turned around and saw the tall boy was leaning on the desk in front of the secretary.

"Oh, me?" I said. It was a stupid question, he and I were the only kids in the office.
"Oh, uhm, I'm Scottney. I'm a freshman."
He cracked a smile and spoke
"Scottney, huh? I've heard about you. I'm Captain, nice to meet you."
What kind of name was Captain? I nodded at him indicating the feeling was mutual and then the bell rang.
I waved bye and made my way to the band hall, I knew where my first class was at least.

The band hall was located in the same building as the new gym.
I went into the instrument room and found my cubbyhole.
I hadn't practiced my French Horn barely at all this summer, I hoped I wouldn't sound like complete shit.
I walked to the section where the french horns sat.
Students were starting to pile into the room and that's when it settled in.
I was in high school now, there's people here I don't know.

At least I knew the people in my section.
They were Edward, Daisy, and....Cameron.
Cameron was a complete fucking asshole.
He was the pastor's son and one day he would treat me well and the next he would treat me like I was complete garbage.
So I guess you could say we had this love/hate relationship that would probably last until graduating day Senior year.

Edward was the chill skater dude would dealt weed and loved Bob Marley and Daisy was well, his best friend.
We had a diverse group of people in band which is why I felt a tad bit comfortable.
Cameron sat to my right and Daisy sat to my left.
The bell rang once again and everyone made their way with their instruments to their assigned seats.

Mr. H stepped onto the podium and told us to get out our warm-up.
As the pages flipped through the band hall he gave us the whole "welcome to a new year of high school" speech.

We played through our scales and practiced a few stand tunes and before I realized it class was over.
Classes passed quite fast until lunch came and I had completely forgotten money so I sat outside the school and listened to music. My eyes scanned the entire school parking lot. It was an odd sight. Seeings kids get into cars and drive off campus to go eat somewhere else.

As my eyes darted from left to right I saw the tall boy, Captain was his name right?
He was walking towards the rows of cars in the lot and I saw him pull something out of his pocket.
As he did so a huge jet black Chevy truck roared to life.
Automatic starter?
Then he climbed into the truck and pulled out of the parking lot and that's when I realized he had been waving at me.

I instantly turned my head and focused my attention on my iPod.
I sat there on the concrete in front of the school for what seemed like forever until the bell rang once again.
I made my way to Biology class and entered the room and met my teacher.
She was my World Geography teacher's wife and she looked exactly not what I expected.
Tall with red ringlet curls and green eyes, she was very pretty in my opinion.

I didn't focus on who else entered the classroom I just took my seat and she handed out those Get To Know Me sheets they always do at the beginning of the year. I pulled out a pen and filled it out quite fast, the questions were always the same and its not like I had changed at all since the previous year.

Before I knew it class was over, and then the next, and the next until it was the last period of the day.
My last class was art, and they had decided to stick me with the Junior and Senior class.
The art building was off by itself behind the school.
It was amazingly cool, it was painted all over and wasn't bland at all like the Junior High art class was.

I swung the door open and entered the room and greeted the art teacher, I already knew her because the Junior High and High School share an art teacher.
Her name was Mrs. Garter and I thought it was ironic her name had the word "art" in it.

I gave her a hug and she told me to take a seat anywhere I would like.
I made my way to the table at the back and waited as kids starting entering the door and yelling all sorts of stuff at Mrs. Garter. Mrs. Garter was that teacher that was more kid than adult and that you could crack jokes with.

I recognized only one face which was Edward and he was sitting with a thin black girl who looked very athletic.
Just when I was about to pull out paper and start doodling because I thought everyone had entered the class the art door flung open.
I glanced up thinking it was going to be nobody I knew, but it indeed was.

It was Captain and he nonchalantly and walked into the room and gave Mrs. Garter a high-five and apologized for being late. His eyes flickered towards me and he held my gaze for a mere second, he was probably a little shocked I was in a senior class.

I thought for a second he might come say hi to me but he didn't and although it made me a bit sad it wasn't unusual. Rejection was the norm for me, and he probably wouldn't want to be seen talking to me in front of all these people. We were told to free draw so I sat there and doodled anchors like a hipster.

The last bell of the day rang and I slowly got up, I liked to be last out of class so I could personally tell my teacher to have a nice day. I would get called a teacher's pet but teacher's usually had lots of interesting life stories and I liked to chat with them a bit and remind them they have the most important job of all.

As I bent down to put things in my backpack I sensed someone standing over me. I looked up and it was Captain.
"Hey, you're Scottney right? Sorry I didn't say hi, why are you in a senior art class? You're a freshman right?"
"I'm just really talented in art, it's actually my only talent and this was the only block art was available and Mrs. Garter knew I could handle it. I didn't want to be stuck in stupid nutrition class so I switched to art class."

He nodded accepting my answer and told me bye and left the class.
My first day of high school went quite well I thought confidently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone!
Sorry I've been so busy.
This chapter is actually VERY based on my first day of school!
All my characters are based off of people I really know so :3
Captain is indeed a real person and so is Cameron, Daisy, Edward, etc.
Now that doesn't mean everything I write really has happened, because with writing being my escape I'll probably write what I wish would happen Cx
Anywho! I hope ya'll like :3