I Will Walk With You

Chapter 1

"It's ok mom." I said as she wiped the blood from my forehead. I winced when she hit the gash. "It will heal in no time." That's a true statement; by tomorrow you won't be able to see anything but a scar. All werewolves have advanced healing, as well as hearing, sight and sense of smell. Well almost all werewolves, I didn't get so lucky. What I have can't be healed by anything but a miracle.

"It's not ok, Devlin!" She shouted. "What kind of animals does something like this to a person in your condition?" She held her face in her hands and sobbed. Obviously our kind of animals, I thought to myself.

"Melissa, the boy needs to learn how to defend himself," My dad said from the doorway. "When he gets tired of being bullied, he'll stand up for himself." My mom flung the rag she had been using to clean me up at my dad.

"He's in a wheelchair you idiot!" She shouted angrily at him. "How do you expect him to defend himself?!" My dad flinched from her tone and removed himself from the room. He's such a hard ass. He expects me to be able to just shift and attack. You can't really do much if your legs don't work.

When my pack mates attack me, I can't do anything but cover my head. From the gash on my head, you can see that that defense mechanism isn't very effective. They've done a lot worse than what happened today. I've been cut, burned, and hit. Since my body is weaker than every other wolf, I keep the scars that remind me of what they've done.

I was born with Spina Bifida. I don't even know what it feels like to walk. Normally I don't think about it, it's just days like today that bring me down. "Now tell me what happened again." Mom demanded. I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"I was coming back from the store down the street, some pushed my chair off the curb and I hit my head, end of story." I said with agitation. She crossed her arm and stared at me with light grey eyes.

"Who was it Devlin?" She asked demandingly. I shrugged my shoulders. I know who it was; it's the same people as always. I'm not going to tell her that though. She'll just go running to our Alpha and I don't need that.

"I don't know who it was mom." I said. She growled at me lowly.

"Don't you lie to me Devlin Mitchell Parker." She replied with a stern voice. I sighed to myself.

"Stop worrying so much." I said. "I'm seventeen; I can't take care of myself." She gave me a sad look.

"We need to find your mate," She said. "You need someone to be with you. I know you're not happy son, I can see it in your eyes." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Mom, we've been through this," I whispered. "No girl is going to want anyone like me. I can't even defend myself, how am I going to defend her?" She didn't say anything. "I don't need anyone else feeling sorry for me. I have enough people giving me pity looks already." I backed my chair out from in front of her and rolled out of the room.

I hooked my chair to the electrical ramp my parents had installed when I was little and went downstairs. My mom was right, I'm not happy but I don't need my mate tending to my every pitiful need. It's bad enough that my mom and my sister help me do nearly everything as it is.

I already know my mate would look down on me for the way I am. It's rare that I've even meet people who don't have something to say about my sickness. Normally people point and stair and they whisper rude things not knowing I can hear them. I wouldn't want to bring my mate down either.

When you find your mate you're supposed to be able to do things together: Go on walks in the park, go on runs together in wolf form. They can dance at their wedding. All I can do is roll around in this damn chair and feel sorry for myself.

I went out on the porch where my sixteen year old sister, Leah sat texting on her phone. She's always texting, she lives for her phone. I remember when she lost her old one, cried like a baby and then stole mine.

"Again?" She asked looking at the bandage mom put in my head. I nodded slightly and rolled over next to her. "I'll kick their asses if you want me to." She said with anger clear in her voice.

"Leah I don't need you to fight my battles," I said. "You do too much for me already." I looked over at her. We look almost exactly alike; we have the same black hair and blue eyes. She's bigger than me though, she stands at 5'7 and if I could stand, I would only be 5'4.

She has more muscle than me because she can run freely in her wolf and keep herself in shape. She gets exercise and all I get is physical therapy twice a week with the pack doctor. If I'm not in therapy, I'm getting pumped full of medication. I don't even feel like a man in this body, I feel like a waste of space.

"You're my brother Dev," She quietly. "How long am I going to have sit back and watch them torture you? I love you more than anything and I don't mind helping you. You know I don't pity you or look down on you for being who you are. I just want to make sure you're safe."

"I should be the one looking after you." I laughed. "But thanks Leah. I'll figure out a way to get those guys off of my back, I don't want you to get hurt either." Leah and I have always been close. Mom said that after she was born, I didn't want to leave her side. I owe her so much and I'm grateful that I got blessed with a sister like her.

She nudged me lightly. "I love you Devlin." She said with a big smile.

"I love you too, Leah." She stood up from the bench and kissed my forehead.

"Do you want to go with me to Mark's?" She asked. Mark is her mate, she got lucky enough to find her's at her mating party. A mating party is basically a birthday party but the main goal is to find your mate. Mine was a total disaster. Only a few people showed up, most of them were family.

Normally, unmated wolves from our neighboring packs attend the mating parties. There are usually about three hundred people at your average party. Nine girls came to mine. You could tell they didn't want to be there so I didn't even bother talking to them.

"Earth to Devlin!" Leah said snapping her fingers in my face. I shook the thoughts from my head and looked up at her.

"You go ahead Leah," I finally said. "You guys should spend some alone time together. I invade his space enough as it is." She blew under her breath and rolled her eyes at me.

"You know Mark doesn't mind you coming over." She said. "He's been asking about you anyway." Before I could object, she grabbed my chair and pushed me down the ramp on the porch.

"Leah, take me back!" I ordered as she pushed me down the sidewalk. She ignored my demand as we crossed the street. I saw my tormenters standing at the end of the road. "Leah, I'm serious, take me back!" I shouted. I put my hand to the side of my chair and pushed down the brake.

When I hit the brake, my chair jerked forward and threw me out on the ground. I winced on impact. "Oh my god, Devlin! Are you ok?" Leah asked as she picked me effortlessly up from the hot pavement.

"I'm fine," I groaned as she sat me back down. "Just take-" I was cut off by one of the people I really wish didn't exist.

"I didn't think we'd see you out in public again," Cory Tyse said as he approached us with his group of sidekicks. "Oh and look, his mommy put a bandage on his boo boo." He laughed as he reached out to touch my face. Leah grabbed his arm and twisted it around before he could touch me.

"Stay away from my brother." She growled through clenched teeth. Cory snatched away from Leah's hold.

"And if we don't?" He asked sarcastically as he laughed. "What are you going to do about it?" Leah growled viciously and before I could stop her, she shifted and jumped at him. His friends ran off but before he could join them, Leah took a bite out of his calf. He screamed and fell to the ground. She hovered over him growling.

"Leah, stop!" I shouted. She looked back over her shoulder at me then backed away from Cory.

"So you need your fucking sister to fight for you?" He asked as he held his bleeding leg. "I'm going to get you and that little bitch." He said with a promising tone. Leah jumped for him again but he was already up and running.

"Why did you do that?" I groaned at her. "I already take enough shit from them. I don't need you to defend me; I can take care of myself." I unlocked my brake and rolled away from her. She lowered her head and watched me as I went back home.

I know she was just trying to help but I don't need her getting involved. I know if Cory will hurt me, a handicap person, he'll hurt my sister. I don't even feel like a man, my entire life either my mom or my sister has been fighting my battles. I don't want to be known as the boy who hides behind the females in his family.

I just wish I would fall asleep and never wake up. My life holds no value anyway. I'm confined to this chair forever, and I'll always be a burden to someone. I'll never have a normal life and I'll never be happy. I guess this is my punishment for a crime I didn't know I committed.

When I made it in the house, my dad called me to his study. "What is it?" I asked when I made it to the room. My mom is sitting in his lap and she's crying. Mom cries a lot so this is nothing new.

"Son, we know you're not happy," He started. "You've lost all of your confidence and we can see you losing the will to live." I shrugged my shoulders at him.

"Ok, what's your point?" I asked. It was obvious a long time ago that I'm sick of my life. I've tried to kill myself seven times since I was twelve. Every time, I either got caught by my parents or my sister. I don't see why they insist on saving me every time.

"Your mother and I have decided to send you to a rehabilitation clinic for disabled wolves." He said blankly. "I'm sure you'll love it there."

"Why?!" I shouted angrily. "What's the point?"

"You need to be around people you can relate to," He replied. "We think that this would be best for you. We also know that you've stopped taking your anti-depressants." Who cares about anti-depressants?! Even for a werewolf they're too strong, they make me numb and I honestly care less when I'm on them.

"What's the point in sending me there? They can't do anything to help me; they can't make me want to live this life! I swear to god if you send me there, I'll kill myself the first day!" I looked at my mom. "Please don't do this to me mom." I begged. She looked up at me with teary eyes.

"Devlin this will be good for you," She said with a broken voice. "They can help you." I shook my head at her.

"You're just tired of dealing with me," I said angrily. "If you were just going to send me away, you should have gotten an abortion." I left the room and headed upstairs to pack my things. I'm not going. I'll run away from them before I let them send me to that prison.

I packed three bags of clothes and grabbed my bag of medicine, I wrote Leah a note apologizing for how I acted and letting her know that she won't see me again. She's the hardest part about leaving. I won't have anyone to talk to and I'll be losing my only friend. She'll be fine without me though, she has Mark.

Before I went downstairs, I called a cab. It's not just any cab, it's a cab for people in wheelchairs. I don't even have to get out of my chair to ride. When I made it back downstairs, my dad stood in front of the door blocking me from getting. "Move." I growled looking up at him.

"Devlin we can't let you leave, a person in your condition will never make it alone." He said. "Where will you go?"

"Does it matter?" I asked with a sarcastic laugh. "It shouldn't matter where I go; you're throwing me away, pushing me off on some rehab clinic. If you would just move, I will be out of your hair forever. You, mom, and Leah can do all of the things you couldn't do because of me. Just let me go." Surprisingly he stepped out of the way.

"Just be careful son," He said. "What you're going to face in the real world is nothing compared to anything you've ever been through here." I rolled my eyes and exited the house. I don't want to hear anything he has to say about the real world. I've been through more than he could even imagine.

I left my house and didn't look back. I don't have a clue where I'm going but anywhere is better than rehab. I don't want to be around a mass of people who pity themselves, I don't really pity myself, and I just hate my life.

I went down to the end of the road where my cab had stopped. I have about two hundred dollars to make it off of. I'll take the bus as far as it goes then I'll try to start off new. I guess if that doesn't work out, I'll probably end up dead or in rehab. I choose death over that.

The doors to the big van opened up and I pushed my chair up the ramp and locked my wheels into the floor. "Where to?" The driver asked looking at my bags.

"How far will seventy-five bucks get me?" I asked. I can't spend every dime I have on just the ride. I'm going to have to find a place to stay, a way to eat, and soon I'll need to see a doctor to make sure my body is still functioning properly.

The man thought about it for a moment. "I'll take you to the edge of the next city, and then you're on your own." He finally said. "What are you, a runaway?" He asked.

"Just drive please." I said turning my head to look out the window. I'm not in the mood to explain myself to this guy. It's not like he really cares, he's just in it for the money. His job is to drive us "less fortunate" people around, not ask questions.

He shrugged his shoulders and pulled away. We rode in silence; the only thing you can hear is the road and the country song playing low in the background. We had been driving about thirty minutes when my phone went off. I looked down at the number that danced across the screen, Leah. I sighed and answered it hesitantly.

"Devlin where are you?" She asked sobbing loudly. "Dad said you packed your stuff and left." I don't want to break my sister's heart but I can't let them put me through something as torturous as rehab. I don't need rehab, I'm perfectly able to do for myself and I'm going to prove it to everyone.

"They were going to send me away, Leah." I said quietly. "I'm tired of being someone's responsibility; I don't want people to have to take care of me anymore. I want you to have a life with Mark, you can't do that if you're always home tending to me." I can hear her crying and I hear Mark trying to comfort her in the background.

"Please, Devlin!" She begged. "What am I supposed to do without you, huh? You're my best friend and I need you. I don't care if I have to take care of you, you're my brother and I know if I were in your position, you would do all of those things for me. Please just come home." Her words had tears forming in my eyes.

I would love to go back and live happily with my sister but that will never happen. There will always be people like Cory Tyse there to make my life hell. Maybe one day when he and his little crew move away, I can come back and see my sister. Until then, I don't plan on setting wheels back in that town.

"I can't Leah," I whispered. "I'm not happy and you know it. I need to do this for me."

"What about me?" She asked with a voice full of hurt. I sighed into the phone.

"You'll be fine," I said. "Mark is always going to be there for you. You can finally put your mate first the way it should be. I've caused him to miss out on valuable time with you. And don't worry about me, I promise to call you every few days."

"Dev, you don't have any money," She said. "At least let Mark and I send you something when you get to where you're going." I don't know if that's such a good idea, if I take money from her then it's just like she's still taking care of me. "Please Devlin; just let me help you this one last time. I want you to be happy but I also want you to be healthy and safe." She added as if she were reading my mind.

"Ok, Leah," I said. "But this has to be the last time. I need to learn how to live on my own. I'll find a job doing something; you know I've always wanted to work." My mom would have a fit every time I mentioned getting a job, she feels like I should stay home all of the time and hide under her wing like a small child.

"I love you Dev," Leah whispered as she tried to hold her tears. "Please be careful, if you need anything please call me."

"I love you too." I whispered back. I couldn't find my voice to say anything further so I just hung up. I wiped my face when I noticed the driver staring at me in the rear view.

"You sure you don't want to go back?" He asked hesitantly. "I won't charge you or anything."

"I'm sure," I mumbled. "Thanks anyway." He gave me a thoughtful look.

"The ride is still free then." He said smiling. I nodded at him with thanks and closed my eyes. My mind is a complete wreck. I don't know how I'm going to do any of this. I've never been further than a few blocks alone and now I'm moving through cities with just a few bags of clothes.

I just pray I can avoid trouble, a person like me in a city alone, is bound to find trouble. You're a target just because you're different. People don't care that you nearly died from your condition; they just want a good laugh at the disabled kid.

Two and a half hours later, the cab finally came to a stop. "This is it, kid." The driver said looking back at me. "I would take you further but my wife is a nagger." He laughed lightly.

"Well at least someone is willing to marry you." I mumbled back. "It'll just be me and my chair for the rest of my life." He sighed but didn't take his eyes from me.

"What you need is confidence," He said surely. "As soon as you find that, the sooner you'll find happiness." I rolled my eyes at him as he opened up the doors. "Good luck kid, you're going to need it out here." I rolled myself down the ramp and out onto the sidewalk.

"Thanks." I said before he closed the door.

"Anytime kid." He shut the doors and pulled away. I looked around and sighed. Maybe this wasn't the best idea I had this week. There's no turning back now though, the first thing I need to do is find a place to stay. I rolled myself down the sidewalk slowly taking in my surroundings. I'm in a little town that probably houses less than a thousand people.

"Hey kid!" I heard a deep voice yell at me. I looked up to see a big, muscular, oversized, blonde man stalking towards me. He looks really mad. This is definitely not the best idea I had for this week. I can smell his scent and he's a werewolf, a huge, vicious, bone breaking werewolf.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it if I do say so myself!