Status: slowly progressing

London Love

Chapter 5

A few days later, on one of her off days, Catherine found herself in the Natatorium once again. Wearing a pair of denim capris and a USA t-shirt, she fit right in with the crowd. It was still early in the day, but she had nothing better to do. Plus she found the events quite enjoyable. After awhile she was in a daze thinking about a million different things. Everyone always told her that she thought too much. She felt a gentle tap on her shoulder and jumped. Blushing, she turned around to find that she was seated in front of the women she met at the hotel.

“How are you dear?” the older woman asked.

“I’m good”, she replied. “Just trying to relax and enjoy the events.”

“Seemed like you were daydreaming to me,” teased one of the younger two.

She laughed and shrugged, “No, just thinking.” They smiled and nodded. Soon the next event was announced and they all focused their attention on the pool. It didn’t take long for her to realize who she was sitting in front of. They were so excited for him, it was actually quite comforting. She found herself relaxing around them and cheering like she would at a football or hockey game. As he touched the wall they all jumped and screamed as his name was shown in first place on the screen. They hugged each other and then surprised her by including her in their celebrations.

He had one more race that night and if he medaled he would break the record for most medals ever by an Olympian. The wait seemed to last forever, even though Catherine and the Phelps enjoyed cheering for the rest of Team USA. Finally, Michael’s other final was up. As he took to the blocks, Catherine felt Goosebumps. As the gun fired and the swimmers entered the water, her breathe hitched. Why am I so nervous? She thought. The first lap was completed…only one left. As they completed the final turn and closed in on the finish it felt like the whole world moved in slow motion. He was going to do it. He touched the wall. Her mind screamed GOLD! She felt herself cheer and was swept into the arms of his family as they celebrated.

“Come with us,” Hillary requested. They were going out to dinner with Michael to celebrate.

“Oh, no, I couldn’t possibly invade on a family celebration,” she whispered.

“Oh, dear, you wouldn’t be invading. We would love to have you join us,” Debbie responded. “Besides, when was the last time you had a meal with other people?”

“Are you sure it wouldn’t be a bother?” Catherine asked worriedly.

“Not at all, go change and we’ll meet you in the lobby in thirty minutes,” Debbie stated as they reached the hotel. Relenting, Catherine went up to her room and dug through her suitcase searching for something appropriate for dinner. She settled on a pair of well fitting black dress pants, a medium pink blouse with beading at the top and a pair of black peep toe heels. She applied a light coat of makeup, put on a silver necklace and put everything she needed into a small silver clutch. Looking at the clock she realized it was time to leave and left her room for the elevator.

Once in the lobby she immediately spotted Mrs. Phelps and walked over to her. After everyone else arrived they left in a rented car to meet Michael at the restaurant. Sitting in the car, Catherine felt her nerves rise, she could deal with the nobody shooters she was sent to interview, but this was something else entirely. There was a big difference between them and one of the most well known athletes in the world. When they reached the restaurant Catherine did everything in her power to push her nerves to the side so she didn’t make an idiot of herself.

They were led to a table in the back where Michael was currently sitting. Seeing his family, he stood up and greeted them all with hugs and kisses. She stood in the back, not sure how to act around him. When Debbie introduced her, she stepped forward and shook Michael’s outreached hand. Then he pulled out the chair to his right for her and they all sat down. After ordering food and drinks, Catherine sat back and listened to the chatter between Michael and his family. To be honest, she had really missed this type of environment. Being in London alone, can be well, lonely.
Soon conversation turned towards teasing Michael by telling Catherine embarrassing stories. She was soon laughing heartily at his expense. She looks beautiful. Michael thought. Interrupting her laughter he asked her about herself.

“So, why are you in London?” he questioned.

“She’s reporting on some of the rifling events and shooters that are alumni of WVU,” his mother answered. She was the girl that almost ran me over the other day! He realized.

“She’s also writing a blog of her experience in London,” Whitney added.

“So what are you going to write about this,” he wondered somewhat concerned.

“Nothing that you need to worry yourself with,” she responded smiling. “But if you want to read it, I would be more than happy to give you the web address. He agreed and she wrote it down on a piece of paper retrieved from her purse. Their food arrived and they all began to eat. Michael had ordered a bottle of champagne in celebration and after some coaxing got Catherine to agree to having a glass. Dinner finished, it was time for Michael to head back to the Athlete’s Village and the rest of them to return to the hotel.

Once back, Catherine showered and changed into her pajamas before logging on to write her blog for the day.

I spent the day at the Natatorium. Watched Olympic history in the making. Congratulation to Michael Phelps for becoming the most decorated Olympian ever. Had a great time at dinner. Time for bed, another exciting day tomorrow.

With that she shut her computer down, turned off the light and crawled into bed thinking I hope that was good enough for Michael.
♠ ♠ ♠
well there it is, she finally met Michael. Don't worry, there is still plenty to come.