Status: Complete

The dog that saved my life

Ace

11 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. They said I had 6 months to live. The same day I found a dog on the street alone. Still crying but I managed to stop on the side of the road to help him. I walked up to the mangled creature and saw the fear and loneliness in its eyes. That is when I came to realize that the feelings that it had were mine as well. My arms fell around the bony puppy and I began to cry again. It looked up at me with a comforting look and licked away my tears. I named him Ace.

These past few years have been the hardest of my life. Struggling and fighting through cancer. But I still managed to do it, even when it was bad and terrible. I made my way through it. Ace had helped me with more than just comfort and loneliness. He helped me discover that I’m not ready to die and he made me see that I have so much to live for and fight for.

One night I was walking and I turned back to see Ace whimpering. I took him to the vet the very next morning and they had told me it was now his turn to be sick. I took care of him for 6 weeks, but then he started getting worse and worse. And I knew it was time, I felt it in my heart.

October 16th, 2005 I took him to the vet again, but this time I would leave without him, and that was the hardest thing I had to do. But I took him into my hands and cried as hard as I could but then he looked up at me with a comforting look and licked away my tears. He never stopped looking in my eyes. Even when he breathed his final breath, but something changed in me I could feel it.

That week I went to the hospital, breath taken by the results that my cancer was gone. And I’m convinced even to this very day. That Ace had saved my life. With his warming eyes, soothing soul, and reassuring heart he brought me to wellness. And that is all that I could ask for.