Status: Reviews/Comments = Love. Please leave one. I'm catching this one up to One More Year so it will be easier to write for both.

Leaping for Your Dreams

Third Round

We had a huge get together at our house for Game 7 of Rangers/Caps. Either we’d be commiserating with Aleks soon or we’d be celebrating her going to the Third Round. As it turned out we had to wait a bit longer to see her as the Caps were triumphant over the Rangers.

I was also hip deep in planning the wedding. By now the invitations had come in and gone out again. While over 100 were invited we didn’t expect that many to actually RSVP. I had already gotten most back from the guys, well the _girls_, during the game. Erin Lilly, Brooks’ fiancée pulled me aside and asked how this was going to go as they would be on their honeymoon when Sid and Aleks got married. I waved Heather over and told both of them not to worry if they couldn’t make it, that they would be having another party for everyone who couldn’t sometimes during the season. They both looked very relieved. When Erin asked why they were planning on that date, I laughed. “It’s the actual anniversary of their first date. I think it’s kind of smart for him not to want to have to learn a different date.”

It was now Sunday, normally a day I’d take for the family and myself but apparently my phone had other plans. With Sid’s permission we put on the invite that if they had questions to call or email me, along with my contact info. Today it was biting me in the butt. Nick was the first to call, wanting to know why the wedding was in Windsor but the reception was in Detroit. I told him the truth, always easier to do that. That satisfied him but it also opened the floodgates for everyone else on the list.

I got asked everything from what kind of bar was going to be there to if kids really _were_ invited if they were mentioned on the invite. I also got a few ‘if I/we can’t make it do we have to send back the RSVP’ questions. I answered everything as calmly as I could.

I finally got Aleks’ mom calling me to ask if her Grandfather could come. I actually, legitimately, did a spit take at that. “Mom, She’d _kill_ us if he were here but not at the wedding. Think about it, besides I already included him. I didn’t _send_ him an invite but I did call him and ask if he would want to be here.” She let out a sigh and delightedly hung up.

My next call was from Jonathan Toews. He wanted to know if it was ok to show up _without_ a date. “Jon, I know they would want you to be comfortable; if that means coming without a date; then that’s fine. The important thing is that they want you there. No Kaner is _not invited. He wasn’t on either of their lists. I think you’re the only Blackhawk who’s able to come actually. Yes I would like the RSVP back. Ok no problem. We’ll see you then.”

Fortunately he was the last phone call for today. I was able to sneak out of my home office and upstairs before anyone could catch me. Anna had worn herself out running around outside so she was taking a nap. That sounded like a great idea.

I tiptoed into our room and found Evgeni asleep on the bed. Family naptime it was. I got comfy on the bed, which made him turn over and cuddle up. He kind of woke up, enough to see it was me and went back to sleep.

Two hours later, I was woken by the doorbell. I snaked my way out from Geno’s arms and went down stairs. It turned out to be Dan. “Hey Dan, come on in.” He came in and looked around.

“You’ve really shaped this place up. Feels like a home he’d actually live in not a museum. I just stopped by to see if it was ok if Mary Beth and I _didn’t_ bring Bryan. It’s not that we don’t want to bring him, he’ll just be at camp that week.” It was odd to hear Dan explaining this.

“Dan, it’s fine. Both Aleks and Sid just want to kids to know that they _are_ a part of the family and important. I know you’ve seen how Aleks makes sure all the kids get greeted not just the adults. It’s who she is. And before you say anything, you guys _are_ welcome to join us while we watch Flyers/Caps Game 1 tomorrow. It’s a potluck thing; everyone is invited.” Anna came bounding down the stairs then.

“Hi Coach Dan. Are you coming to the party? I can’t wait to see Auntie Aleks kick some Flyer butt!” She said brightly.

He smiled. “I may just have to come. Anytime the Flyers can get their butts kicked it’s a good day.”

We must have woken Geno up as he came yawning down the stairs as Anna and Dan were talking. He grabbed a water from the fridge and leaned on the counter.

Dan said his goodbyes and found out that it didn’t matter what they brought; it would all get eaten. That left the three of us alone in the house without a phone ringing for once. It was a nice breather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day Anna wanted to help me make something for the game buffet. Seeing that I could use and extra set of hands, and Geno was busy making sure everything _else_ was ready for the gang to come over, I let her. She was allowed to hand me things and measure a few things as well. It went well actually.

The gang began to show up at about 5. That was fine, we knew they’d show up early and might stay later. We had the pre-game on both TVs, on the main floor and downstairs.

Vero came into the kitchen with a huge grin. “I am _so_ ‘appy for t’em. Do you need ‘elp with anyt’ing?” She was looking at Sid as she spoke so I knew what she was talking about.

I chuckled. “Shouldn’t you be more concerned with your own wedding a few weeks later? If it was me I’d be more worried about my own.” Truth be told I was trying hard _not_ to be jealous of Vero and Aleks for their more traditional weddings. Geno had assured me that we would have a more traditional wedding this summer, but I wanted it now.

She turned that grin on me. “I ‘ave a planner who is doing a lot of t’e work. We ‘ave been talking every other day or so. T’at will change w’en we go ‘ome. W’en is your las’ fitting for Aleks’ wedding?”

“Next week. You do know she’s changed to a slightly darker color right?” Vero looked, grinned and nodded. “Oh good. I think it’s a nicer color, won’t wash either of us out as easily.”

Vero smiled. “She ‘as wonderful taste. I just ‘ope she does no’ let all of t’is change ‘er. She is so sweet.”

I laughed, attracting Sid’s attention. “Are you kidding me? She’s not gonna change because of all of this. This is just a larger stage than before, but she’s had all sorts of media attention before both in High School and at MSU. Both of those times the reporters tried to make it all about her and she was herself and made sure that everyone _else_ was praised before she took _any_ credit.”

Sid had wondered over and listened as I spoke about Aleks. “She’s right V. Aleks won’t let this change who she is or how she does her job.” The game was starting behind us but this conversation was engrossing. We heard the boos that told us that the Flyers were on the ice.

“She ‘as dealt wit’ t’is before? Comment n'ai-je pas le savoir? C'est incroyable. (How did I not know this? That is incredible.)” Vero was amazed.

Over the crowd we had in the house I hears Anna call out. “Mama! They just said Auntie Aleks isn’t playing!”

That had all three of us moving towards the TV and listening as they speculated if she was hurt or if there was another reason. Sid looked pale and on the verge of panicking. Geno put a hand on my upper back as I touched Sid’s arm. Sid looked at me as if he was begging to know what was going on. I went and grabbed my phone; I had a missed text from Aleks.

I showed Sid and he relaxed. That’s when the announcers said that they were going to speak to Aleks during the first intermission. The room cheered.

We all partially watched the game, seeing that Aleks wasn’t playing. It turned into just a Pens Party. Soon enough though the first intermission was up and it was time to hear from Aleks.

Unfortunately for her, she ‘got’ to talk to Pierre. “Aleks, we all heard and we concerned about you not playing tonight is there a specific reason that you know of?” They were standing outside the visitor’s locker room.

Aleks shrugged. “There are times where you don’t question Coach and his decisions. This is one of those times. If he wants me to play, I’ll for sure play but I’m not going to speculate why he doesn’t right now.” That was _such_ an Aleks answer.

“Are there any truths to the rumors that you are a diva in the locker room?” Where was he getting his information?

Even Aleks had to laugh at that one. “Not at all.” John Erskine came over as she laughed. “Did you hear Erskie? _I’m_ the locker room Diva.”

He came over and grinned. “You gotta be kidding me. You want the truth about Aleks? She’s the most wonderful person we have been lucky enough to have as a part of the team. She defers to everyone about stuff unless her opinion is very strong about the topic.”

“What about the rumors that she tells secrets from the team to other team?” Pierre was grasping at straws and we all knew it.

Aleks gasped. Erskine just waved a hand. “Are you kidding, she won’t even tell us what Sid had for breakfast let alone tell any other team what’s going on with us. She’s _way_ more professional than that!”

Aleks put a hand on his shoulder and stepped in front of him. “Pierre I don’t know where you are getting your information, but I can assure you, and everyone who is watching, that I would _never_ give out confidential information about anyone. I’m not one to throw anyone under the bus.”

Pierre nodded and smiled. “Speaking of Sidney do you know what he is doing while you and the Caps are still in the playoffs?” Now we come to something good.

We all watched as Aleks looked down, shook her head slightly and then looked back at Pierre. “I’m not sure where he is at this moment. I do know that he’s been supporting me and that my family has as well. I’m hoping we can split these two games so my brothers join the rest of us in the madness that is the Vorizon Center when we’re winning.”

Pierre then nodded again. “So is there anything else you’d like to tell our viewers?”

Aleks laughed, full out, having a good time laughing. “Never give up on your dreams. You never know when they might come true.”

“Good words to live by. Thank you Aleks for your time and Erskine as well for his input. Back to you guys in the booth.” Pierre was cleared and they went to commercial.

We all stood there talking. Whoever gave them the information about Aleks was _so_ wrong. When the game came back on we all were keeping half an eye on it. I wasn’t surprised when the Caps lost. In fact none of us were really surprised. When she was playing it seemed to me that they all kind of looked to her to set the tone of what would happen. Without Aleks they looked lost. Hopefully she’d play the next game, they certainly deserved the leadership she provided even without meaning to. Then again, that was just Aleks.