Fighting the Wind

My Revenge

From then on I never cried. Not a single tear ever fell past my lids. No matter if I was emotionally hurt or physically I kept it all inside. After that day, grandma said I changed. My guess was she meant not in a good way. I stopped smiling, I stopped talking to people, and I stopped being naïve.

The search for my parent’s murders lasted only two weeks. Even though I and my grandmother pleaded with the locals, they said that the men had probably already left the village. I grew angry with the villagers. I grew to no trust them, or anybody. I started to realize just how little these people cared about things that didn’t have to do with them and their lives.

After I realized that I started training. I wanted to catch my parent’s murders. I wanted revenge, and I was going to do anything to have it. My grandmother helped me. She said she understood the rage that was inside me, and understood I needed closure. But she also wanted me to train to do more than just have my revenge. So I and my grandmother made a deal. She would help me train, but once I had killed those men I was to help other people who no one else would help. I agreed.

It took me a few years to build up my muscles and learn to fight, but it was worth it. I trained hard and as fast as I could. By the time I was 18 I could fight with my hands, a sword and a bow and arrow. I was fast and limber, able to move my body any way I wanted too. I had worked hard for so many years that I could hardly believe that it was time for me to act on my revenge.

On the day before I set out to hunt for them I was taking a bath to get off the sweat and dirt from the days training. I loved feeling the burn of my body when I worked hard but I did not like the smell that came from it. I let myself relish in the hot steamy bath water, because I knew it might be some time before I could have it again. Looking down I saw that my long black hair was floating on the surface of the water. I hadn’t really noticed how long it had gotten, most of the time I kept it in a ponytail to keep it out of my face. I picked up the end and twirled it between my fingers. I really had no use for it. I had refused going to the Match Maker, in light of training instead. Plus I hadn’t really thought of finding a husband. It wasn’t on my to-do list and I wasn’t very interested in find one to be honest.

I got out of the bath and quickly dressed in fresh training clothes, then went into my father’s den. Above the fireplace sat all his swords from when he was in the army. I planned on using them in his honor when I left tomorrow. I grabbed the smallest one and pulled it from its sheath. Then I gathers up all my hair and cut through it with the sword. I dropped the hair from my hand and turned when I heard a gasp. My grandmother was standing in the doorway with wide eyes.

“Mulan, your hair?” she looked sad, probably because I had taken away the only feminine thing I had left.

“I have no use for it.” I sheathed the word and walked out of the den, my shoulder length hair tickling my neck as I went.

That night I couldn’t sleep. I kept tossing and turning in anticipation for the next morning to arrive. I turned and lay on my back and stared at the ceiling. Mama, papa, your both gone, but tomorrow I shall start my revenge for your deaths.

I tried closing my eyes but all I saw were the men’s faces. Finally sick of laying there waiting, I got up and headed over to my trunk. I opened it and pulled out the outfit I would be wearing from now on. It looked very much like a warriors outfit but it was different in the way it looked. Darker and easier for me to hide in the shadows with. I dressed quickly, and then pulled on my hood, so to hide my face. I walked throughout my house until I reached my father’s den. I pulled down all his swords and carefully slid them into my belt. I took a deep breath and headed out towards the barn. There in the barn was my father’s horse. He taught me to ride him when I was little and I had kept up the practice even after he had died. I walked in tonight and Dar looked up at me. Dar hard a black coat with white patches near his hooves. I smiled and walked over to him.

“Dar, you ready?” I reached out and petted his long face and he nodded in turn. I opened his door and lead him out of the barn and to the gate. I looked back over my shoulder at my house. I had the urge to say goodbye, but that seemed to me like I was never coming back. So I mounted Dar and quickly rode off into the night, hoping that my revenge wouldn’t be that far away.