My Life is as Tangled as my Hair

A Picture Worth A Thousand Words

“Razel honey, do you think you could do me a favor?” I looked over at my mother, who was smiling sweetly at me. I have to admit it was alittle creepy.

“Yes?”

“I need you to go to the attic and find my old sewing kit. Can you do that for me?”

I looked up at the ceiling and raised my eyebrow. The attic was full of junk, including spider webs and rats. I certainly didn’t like going up there and why on earth did my mother want a sewing kit?

“Uh mom, you don’t sew.” I reminded her, she just laughed.

“Oh honey its not for me. You need to learn how to sew your own clothes.” My jaw dropped.

“Are you kidding me?” I asked, my voice dead tone.

“Why would I joke about something like that?” She tilted her head like she honestly didn’t understand why I was questioning her.

“Because I could easily just buy the clothes from a store.” I nearly shouted at her.

“Razel we’ve talked about this. Your not leaving this house anytime soon.”

I wanted to scream in frustration. She had just confirmed my fears. “Why are you keeping me trapped here?”

At this moment my father walked in with a frown upon his face. “Razel lower your voice, I can hear you in my office.”

“I’m sorry but this is getting insane. How can you keep me locked up in here without ever experiencing the outside world?” I was yelling now, but I didn’t care. I loved my parents but I didn’t want to be trapped here.

My father slammed his hands down on the table and loomed over me with a meniacing look on his face. “You will lower your volume little girl and speak to your mother and me with respect. Now I don’t care what you want, we keep you here for your safety. And as your parents, you will do as we say. Is that understood?”

I opened my mouth to respond but ended up closing it again. How could they possibly think that keeping me here was keeping me safe? I just nodded and got out of my seat, with my plate in my hand. I left the dish in the sink and slowly walked up the stairs towards the attic.

The attics door is on the third floor of the house, and is usually locked but the key hangs on the outside of it. I grabbed it and unlocked it with some difficulty. The door creaked open and I covered my mouth to keep from inhaling the dust that had sturred up. There were tons of boxes all over the place, some with writing on them, others that just had different colored tap on them. I immediately got started looking for the sewing kit, which involved me moving boxes out of the way.

Thirty minutes in I about decided to give up looking. I turned to leave but slipped on a dusty news paper and fall backwards into a wooden beam. Upon hitting that beam a box fell right in front of me, making me give out a small scream. After calming my heart down I looked at the box and slowly turned it around to look for markings. That’s when I saw my name written on the side of it.

Curious about what it contained I couldn’t help but ripping open the box. At the very top was a beautifully knitted baby blanket, that was soft to the touch. I picked it up and rubbed it against my cheek and smiled. Underneath it was a stack of pictures that seemed to be of me as a baby. I had to admit I was pretty cute as a baby. I looked so full of laugher and happiness. But the last picture made my breath stop.

“Oh my god” I whispered.

The picture was of me as a baby with a women holding me who had long blond hair and similar facial structure as me. I felt my stomach drop and my heart seize up in fear. This women who looked so much like me, could only be my mother, and if that was true, then who was the women downstairs? I turned the picture over to looked for markings on the back but there was none. I quickly started digging through the rest of the box until I found a newspaper article.

Car Accident on 98

Local loved family Joyce Dane and Richard Dane and their newborn baby were in a car accident on June 23rd. All the members on the family survived this fatal accident, while the drunk driver who hit them did not. After being taken to the hospital was medical assistance it is said that the new born baby was abducted from the hospital. No one knows how a child could have been taken but police now are searching the hospital. The parents of the child are grieving their loss.

I felt my whole world shift after reading that article. I had a family that was not the one I knew. I had been abducted as a baby. Why? Again with the questions but now these ones were a whole lot more serious. Why had the people downstairs taken me from my parents? What did they have against them?

I gathered the picture and the article and hid them in the waist of my pants, and pulled my shirt down over them. Then I quickly packed up the box and pushed it back up on the shelf it had fallen off of. I headed back over to the door, and smirked when I saw the sewing kit that was sitting on the chair.

“How obvious” I murmmered as I picked it up and walked out the door, locking it behind me.