Status: Complete (24/9/12)

Can You Be the One to Save Me?

Chapter 9

Alex woke up alone the next morning. That's weird. He thought. Where's Zack?
"Zack" Alex called out and waited for the cat to come to him. A few minutes later and Alex still hadn't seen the pet. Where was he? He always came when Alex called him. Was he even home?

Alex suddenly felt really sick to his stomach. What if Zack had left? What if he had gotten sick of looking after Alex and decided to leave? Alex's head swarmed with more of these 'What if?' thoughts and he struggled to fight them off before he pulled himself out of bed. Surely there was a reason. Thought Alex. Maybe I should get his hearing checked?

Alex walked slowly into the kitchen. He slowly became more worried with each step. he couldn't hear anything or even smell Zack making breakfast. He made his way into the kitchen where he was met with silence. Zack was nowhere to be seen.

Alex took a deep breath before sliding to the ground. Alex had honestly thought that they were becoming closer. Zack was helping him recover more and more everyday and they were just starting to get somewhere with their relationship. How could Zack just leave?

Alex pulled himself up from the ground sometime later before sitting down at the kitchen table where he spotted a piece of paper. Alex quickly grabbed it and started to read.

Alex,
I'm sorry I left you this morning but we didn't have any food for breakfast. I know you hate food shopping so I decided to go by myself. Hopefully I'll be back before you wake up but if not, don't worry. I'll be back soon. Go back to bed.
Xx Zack

Alex let out a deep breath and collapsed so he was resting on the table. Relief washing over him. Zack hadn't left him. he was coming back. He was going to be ok.

Alex let this sink in for a few minutes before he went back to bed. After all, Zack did know what was best for him.

#

Alex woke a few hours later alone again. Zack must be back by know He thought and was about to call out to the cat when he heard his phone ring. He pulled himself out of bed for the second time that day and searched for his phone. Whether Zack was home or not he refused to answer the phone. He would do anything for Alex (Including his food shopping apparently) but he would never answer his phone.

"Hello?" Alex answered
"Gaskarth?" came a gruff voice and Alex nodded slowly before he remembered that they couldn't see him.
"Yes?" Alex's hands were starting to shake now. Where was Zack?
"Owner of Zack?"
"What do you want?" Alex said quickly. Nothing had happened to his pet had it? No. It couldn't have. Zack was right here in Alex's house. He just knew it.

Alex blinked and the next thing he knew, he was listening to the dial tone on the other end of the phone. They had hung up on him.

Alex searched frantically though his house "ZACK!" he yelled "ZACK! WHERE ARE YOU?"
but he still found nothing. Who was that on the phone? Did they have Zack?
Alex checked the time. It had been hours since he was last awake and probably even longer since Zack had left this morning. Why hadn't he come back yet?

Alex could feel himself starting to hyperventilate and quickly rang the only other person that he trusted enough to take care of him. Rian.

#

Rian and Jack were playing fetch in the back yard when his phone rang. He dashed inside to answer it, Jack hot on his heels. who could it be? Alex had barely called him since he had gotten Zack so maybe it was Matt? he still hadn't met Jack yet.

"Hello" he answered cheerfully, scratching behind Jack's ears. All he could hear was frantic breathing on the other end of the line before a murmured "Rian" and then the phone went dead.

Alex. Rian thought. Something's not right.

"Jack" said Rian "Shoes on. Grab your jacket. Quickly"
Jack seemed to sense his owners urgency and quickly followed them without question. he had no idea what was going on.

In record time Jack and Rian were in the car and on their way to Alex's
"Alex didn't sound too good on the phone" said Rian "I have no idea what's going on Jack"
Jack just nodded. He knew how much Alex meant to Rian. he knew that Rian would be completely devastated if anything ever happened to the other boy.

They arrived at the house
"Best behaviour Jack" Rian reminded softly "You're doing so well"
Jack beamed at the praise as Rian opened the door to Alex's house. Thank God he still had a key to get in. They walked in silently and Rian could tell that something was wrong.

Rian found Alex on the kitchen floor, a crying blubbering mess. Rian quickly sat next to him on the floor and pulled Alex into his arms "Find Zack" he said quickly to Jack. He might be the only one who can help him. Thought Rian.

Jack bounded though out the whole house, checking every room and not finding the cat anywhere. He eventually found Zack's note on the table and sheepishly handed it to Rian.
"I couldn't find him" said Jack "Only this" He looked down at the ground. He had disappointed his owner. He felt so ashamed. But where on earth was Zack? How could he just leave Alex like this? Weren't they bonded?

Rian took the note and scanned it quickly
"Don't worry Alex" said Rian "He's coming back"

Alex just shook his head "I found that hours ago" he whimpered "and then a strange man called and asked who I was and if he belonged to me"
"What did you say Alex?" asked Rian gently
"I asked him what he wanted and he hung up" said Alex before bursting into tears.

Rian just looked up at Jack. They had to find Zack.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm on a roll tonight! I've written this as well as the next chapter that will be split into three parts :) More drama awaits!

Enjoy and remember to comment!