Status: Active! feedback would be highly, highly appreciated :)

One Day

I'll Carry You Home

Over the next few days I didn’t see much of Mr Baker and his wife Gena outside therapy sessions as I’d figured that backing off was probably in the best interest of both parties. After our little heart to heart the other night, I felt a weird little spark of attraction for the dark haired gentleman with his beautiful eyes and warm smile.

Robert had informed me that he wouldn’t be able to sit in today’s session with us, so I was currently panicking in my office. If my wonderful boss had given me time to prepare I wouldn’t have been as nervous as I was. I placed their case file on the desk and sighed, checking my watch. They were due in any time now.

I looked up just in time to see Zachary Baker walk into the reception area, he looked much better today and Gena, well she looked beautiful just like she always did. I forced a smile onto my face and opened the door for them, beckoning the couple into my office.

“Afternoon, how are you guys doing?” I smiled and quietly offering them a tea or coffee.

Zack was the first one to look up. He frowned, pulling his hand out of Gena’s. “Yeah we’re okay, I guess. If things were hunky dory why would be here?”

Gena scoffed in horror. “Zack! That’s enough! It’s not Kirsten’s fault we’re here. It’s our own remember!”

The tension in the room had me wanting to open all the windows. So much for going well, appearances can be so much more and then you scratch the surface, and it opens up like a raw wound.

“Do you mind if I asked what the problem is, Gena?” I replied offering the blonde a reassuring look.

“Well,” she crossed her legs and put her handbag onto the floor. “It seems like we can’t trust each other. I feel like I’m a shadow in my own home, he never pays any attention to me. We can have plans and then out of nowhere he’ll cancel them and go see the guys, even the dogs get more attention than me nowadays!”

This statement seemed to infuriate Zack, he looked over at his wife and glared daggers at her. “You’ve got to be kidding me? well whenever I suggest making time for each other your less than enthusiastic so excuse me if I don’t want to spend a night with my wife who’s always got a face like a well slapped ass! No wonder I go out and speak to other people, at least their pleased to see me. Next you’ll have me sleeping in the dog basket! Living with you is a constant accusation, I can’t go anywhere without you thinking the worst. I feel like a prisoner in my own home.”

I looked at Gena, she had tears rolling down her cheeks. I gave her a hanky and waited for her to reply.

“Why do you think Gena accuses you?”

Zack glared at me, his green eyes locking onto mine. “Well it’s simple really, isn’t it? I’m starting to think she’s the one with the guilty conscience.”

“You think I’m cheating?” She whispered, looking into the eyes of her husband.

He let in a sharp breath and nodded causing her to gasp. With shaky hands, she picked up her bag and glared at him. I could tell she was trying to put a brave face on. “Well if that’s how you feel don’t come home tonight.”

“Fine, fuck you.”

Without another word, Gena left slamming the office door behind her causing Zack to jump in his chair. The emotion he’d been holding back during the consultation was exposed now, his eyes were filled with tears and mouth set in a hard line.

“Zack, I know you and Gena are having trust issues but you guys need to speak to each other, without trust a relationship is nothing. I know it’s seems impossible right now but it will get better.”

He didn’t reply, instead he stood and made his way over to the water cooler. He lingered in the same spot for a few moments, quietly contemplating what had just occurred.

“What are you going to do about tonight?”

He spoke his back still to me, “I don’t know but I can’t go back home. Heck I don’t even know if I wanna go the guys either. I need to be alone.”

I frowned, he didn’t seem to be in any fit state to go home alone.

“Do you know what’s worse?” He asked, a bitter laugh escaping his full lips. “I know Gena’s been cheating on me, that’s why she’s being so defensive about this.”

I shook my head, “How can you be sure?”

“I know my wife.” he sat down opposite me and stared down at his shoes. I sighed and looked him up and down, his whole demeanour was of a defeated man. He tossed the plastic water cup into the bin and ran a tattooed hand through his jet black hair.

Against my better judgement, I stood and went around the back of his chair, taking him into a small hug. He jumped in surprise, his shoulders relaxing slightly as my arms wrapped around him. I felt a jolt of electricity course through my body. I jumped back, my breathing ragged.

We didn’t speak for a few moment, the air felt thick and humid. I could feel my cheeks flush as he cleared his throat and I took this as a cue to take a seat at my desk. We sat in silence for a while before I realised he was crying, it started off quiet before it turned to long, agonising sobs. He looked up into my eyes, searching for an answer to his problems.

I shook my head, I couldn’t let him spend the night alone.

“Your coming home with me.”

He nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter for you guys. Inspiration for this was James Blunt's, I'll Carry You Home.

Thanks for all the supporting. It means a lot and keeps me motivated :)

Nicole