Status: Active! feedback would be highly, highly appreciated :)

One Day

I Had To Find You

The drive into work on Monday morning wasn’t pleasant. My mind had kicked into overdrive and I could picture Zack and Gena arguing in my mind. It would only take one silly argument for Zack to slip up, and all hell would break loose.

I felt like banging my head repeatedly on the steering wheel. I wouldn’t have been that bothered but I knew the couple would be in today and that made my spirits plummet.

Great, your going to have pack up your life again and move somewhere no one knows you…

The tall, grey building loomed in the distance as I neared my destination. I stopped at the red traffic light, turning my music up a little louder. Out the corner of my eye I noticed a car sitting beside me, peeking to the right, I saw a familiar figure and my stomach dropped.

Gena waved politely at me, mouthing a small hello. Zack was sitting in the passenger side, his dark sunglasses hiding his eyes but I could see that he was smiling too. Meekly, I smiled back and silently prayed to god the light would change.

When the lights changed, I zoomed off, thanking my car for being reliable. I pulled into the parking lot, locked my car then headed into the office. I smiled, greeting the girls at the desk, a few of them giving me compliments on my outfit.

I had made an effort today simply because I wanted to try and make myself feel bit better. It was a way to protect myself from others, when I didn’t want anyone to know how I was feeling. I found if my exterior looked perfect, it was easier to disguise my true feelings.

“Morning boss man, how are you today?” Robert looked up from his desk and smiled. He was knee deep in case files as per usual and had his usual No. 1 Daddy mug full of coffee.

I took a seat opposite him and sipped my own coffee.

“Yeah fine Kirsten, just busy. I’ve been taking on a lot of new clients lately so I’m just a bit snowed under at the minute but don’t you worry, old Robert will cope!” He laughed and downed his coffee in one gulp. “Now enough about me, look at you! you look absolutely breathtaking this morning..any reason why?”

He smirked at me, giving me an approving nod. I giggled and shook my head innocently, oh if only he knew the truth.

“Sadly no, I just felt like giving myself a spruce up.” I replied, sending a cheeky smirk in his direction.

“I know this may be a tad too forward so please excuse me if my saying is out of order but,” he muttered. His eyes locking onto mine, smiling widely as he spoke. “Would you like to go for dinner sometime?”

I could feel my eyes widen out their sockets, well I certainly hadn’t expected that. I wasn’t really used to frequent male attention. I could feel my cheeks flush and I quickly took a sip of my coffee. I knew Robert’s wife had died a few years back but I thought he was kind of out the game, as he so lightly put it.

“Emm, sure why not.” I smiled back at him, figuring why the hell not. If Zack could flirt with me and get away with it then I could go out for dinner with my boss. Besides mine I could definitely try and defend myself, going for dinner with one’s boss isn’t usually classed as a date.

Oh yeah, trust and justify it, sounding very convincing right now.
“Great.” He grinned as he checked his watch. “The Baker’s are due in soon, but don’t worry, I’ve decided to sit in on this. I feel like I should show my face at some point or they’ll think I’m getting paid for sitting around all day drinking coffee!”

I giggled at his joke but couldn’t help the feeling of relief that washed over me. Two heads are better than one, a problem shared is a problem halved and all the jazz. I smoothed over my skirt and let out a deep breath. I could do this, I was a confident, sexy lady and I could have anyone I wanted. Well at least that’s what I was telling myself. I would start going out and meeting new people, instead of causing problems with a married man.

“Can you go and get Mr and Mrs Baker please?”

I nodded and went into the reception area, spotting them almost immediately. My smile faltered when I looked over at them, they looked considerably more happy today, giggling and joking around with each other. I cleared my throat causing them to look over at me.

“Morning, can you follow me please?” I muttered, turning about, not bothering to wait on them. I practically sprinted back into the safety of Robert’s office as the couple followed me. Feeling instantaneously better as I sat down, I shot them a smile, well I shot Gena a smile. I couldn’t bring myself to look at Zack.

However he seemed to notice my foul mood. I could feel his orbs burning into me as Robert chatted away animatedly to them, asking how their weekend had been. Zack was bullshitting out his backside, pretending that he hadn’t spent the night at mine and Gena was gushing away, making me feel even shittier than I had before.

“Well I’m so glad that you two seem to be getting along,” I could hear the pleased tone in Robert’s voice as he spoke to them. “Continue like this and you wont be needing our help for much longer. Isn’t that right Kirsten?”

I nodded, his question bringing me out of my thoughts. “Yeah definitely. Seems like you’ve had a major improvement over the weekend. What did you do differently if you don’t mind my asking?”

I looked at Zack as I spoke, not daring to look away from him so I could catch the lie in his expression. Gena giggled, smirking at her husband. Her eyes were filled with adoration and I couldn’t help but feel a little jealous.

“It was the funniest thing Kirsten!” Gena beamed. “Zack came home last night and announced that we were going to the Maldives for two weeks, just the two of us! How great is that?”

My heart sank, her voice slowly disappearing into white noise as she continued her story. Looks like a certain dark haired gentleman had taken our conversation the other day quite literally. I couldn't allow myself to be upset or jealous.

I grinned, looking at Zack as I addressed Gena, “Well that’s great news, I’m so happy to hear that things are on the mend. When are the happy couple jetting off?”

“Next Friday.” Zack whispered, taking Gena’s hand and squeezing it gently. I nodded, jotting some notes down in the case file I was holding.

Robert was the first to break the silence. “Great, well I don’t see any point in keeping you guys here so go on, scram! Myself and Kirsten will check back in with you when you return so just book another appointment with Rose at the desk.”

Zack stood, taking Gena’s hand. “Great, see you then.”

I was moping around at home after work, realising that I’d been stupid to think I stood a chance. I didn’t know what to think after Zack and Gena had left, watching them stroll towards the elevator, chatting away happily. Maybe my rejection was the kick up the backside Mr Baker needed to rekindle his marriage.

My phone vibrated against the sofa. Sighing, I picked it up and froze, looking down at the name on the screen.

Sam..

My stomach churned, thinking of the man who had text out of the blue. He was my world at one point, he had broken my heart, and now I wasn’t sure if I was ready to speak to him. It’d had been a long, painful eighteen months. Those months had been spent forgetting, trying to slowly piece myself back together.

Hey Kirsten, is your doorbell not working?

I could’ve died right there on the spot. Why did he have to do this, go and track me down just so he could remind me of the hurt.

Taking a deep breath, I relaxed my shoulders and brought my head up high. At least I could pretend to feel confident, even if I felt like running away. With shaky hands, I grasped the door handle and swung the door open, my heart flipping at the sight before me.

He still look as beautiful as he ever did. The more I tried to be mad at him, the more my heartstrings tugged, happy that he was standing on my doorstep.

“Hi Kirsten,” his voice was low as he spoke, his deep blue eyes shining in the light of my porch. “Can I come in? We need to talk.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Update time :) So I felt like I would shake things up a little :P

Thanks for all the support guys, you guys are amazing! feedback, thoughts are really appreciated... thanks again!

Nicole x