Status: Completed 28/12/12

The Consequence

Underdog

After I hurriedly put my dress back on and awkwardly shuffled out of Max's room I darted back to the room I was sharing with Josh. I swallowed loudly and opened the already ajar door.
"So she returns!" Josh shouts from his place on the bed, he's already dressed in a red checked shirt and dark skinny jeans. "I was starting to get worried...wait...isn't that what you wore last night..?" He eyed my dress and locked eyes with me, his brow furrowed in suspicion. A shiver ran down my spine, I hated when he did that.
"I passed out on Matt's bedroom floor." I said, reciting the story I had planned out before I left, I pretended to look embarrassed and bit my bottom lip. Josh raised an eyebrow.
"Really? I went to check in Matt's room after I woke up but you weren't there..?" Shit. I never thought out this bit...I quickly pulled something out the top of my head.
"Yeah I left kinda early and crashed at Max's room for a bit before heading back here." Well it was kinda half true, I was sure if he asked Max about it he'd go along with the story no bother. The corners of Josh's mouth pulled down in a small frown.
"Why didn't you just come back here? I was really worried." I've told him this line a million times before so I had no bother spitting the words out.
"I didn't want to wake you, that's all." I put on a innocent smile and crawled onto the bed beside him, relief washed over me as he gave me a smile and kissed the top of my head. I was forgiven, for now.

*****

After a quick breakfast we all gathered up our stuff and headed out to the Airport, it was only a few streets away so we had no bother walking there. As we boarded the plane I sat down at a window seat and waited for Josh to board, I heard someone slump down on the seat beside me and let out a relieved sigh. I turned to face them when I was met with a pair of deep brown eyes.
"Max? I thought Josh was sitting there?" I asked indicating to the seat his skinny ass had occupied. He lazily shrugged his shoulders and smiled.
"Thought I'd have a little chat with you." I raised an eyebrow not sure where he was going with this. All morning we tried to avoid each other as much as possible, we sat at complete opposite ends of the table for breakfast, we tried our hardest not to walk near each other the whole way to the Airport, but now he wanted to talk? I couldn't help but feel there was some sort of string attached. "I mean, after you're abrupt departure this morning I thought we just had to clear the air a bit." I let out a shaky laugh.
"No we don't, it's fine, it never happened right?" I plastered on a cheesy smile just to make sure Max knew I was genuine even if I myself wasn't. Hurt flashed across his eyes.
"So you just wanna forget about the whole thing? Go back to what it was before? I don't know if I can do that Carrie. I've waited so long to hold you like that and when I finally do you just brush it off like it was nothing. Well it wasn't nothing Carrie, not to me." I was taken aback by his sudden outburst of well...emotion. I honestly had no idea he felt like that towards me, but hearing that from him made my whole opinion of him change, I noticed things I'd never noticed before like the way his eyes twinkle when he smiled, how he had the cutest dimples, the way he ran a finger through his hair when he was nervous, the way he made my tummy flip when he spoke to me...
"No Max. I'm with Josh. Maybe if you'd said something before things would have turned out differently but this is just the way it is. Anyway, we were both drunk out off our skulls and none of us knew what we were doing." I looked down as I saw his face furrow in disappointment and hurt, guilt started to creep up on me and I was about to turn back around and say something...anything. But when I did, he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
I dunno what to think about this chapter, it's really short and came right off the top of my head on the spot. What's your views about the whole situation with Max? Let me know what you think :)